Check out all my best ideas for what to serve with chicken wings, whether you're enjoying them for lunch or dinner or serving them as an appetizer or snack! There are classic pairings like fries or onion rings and a few of my favorite wing sauce and side dish combinations. Now, you'll never get bored with chicken wings!
- Make Chicken Wings A Meal
- 1. Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- 2. Air Fryer French Fries
- 3. Velveeta Mac & Cheese
- 4. German Potato Salad
- 5. Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- 6. Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
- 7. Green Garden Salad
- 8. Avocado Fries
- 9. Fried Rice
- 10. Potato Croquettes
- 11. Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 12. Pasta Salad
- 13. Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- 14. Teriyaki Noodles
- 15. Butter Milk Boiled Corn on The Cob
- Serving Chicken Wings As An Appetizer
- 16. Blue Cheese Dressing
- 17. Ranch Dressing
- 18. Mild Buffalo Sauce
- 19. Cajun Dipping Sauce
- 20. Hibachi Mustard Sauce
- 21. Southern Coleslaw
- 22. Cream Cheese Wontons
- 23. Crispy Fried Pickles
- 24. Cucumber Vinegar Salad
- 25. Fried String Cheese
- 26. Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- 27. Air Fryer Chili Cheese Nuggets
- 28. Tennessee Onions
- 29. Air Fryer Potato Chips
- 30. Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 31. Steamed Artichokes with Cheese Sauce
- 💭 Tips For Choosing What To Serve With Chicken Wings
- What Are The Most Popular Flavors For Chicken Wings?
- What Drinks Go With Chicken Wings?
- What Potato Side Dishes Go With Chicken Wings?
- 📖 Recipe Card
- What To Serve With Chicken Wings: 31+ Best Sauces, Side Dishes, & More To Make!
- Ingredients US CustomaryMetric
- 💬 Reviews
Chicken wings are so versatile that they can be served as a meal or an appetizer and come in almost every flavor you can imagine. However, you need the right condiments and sides for a great plate of wings!
Ranch, blue cheese, and veggie sticks are the minimum, but why stop there? Here's what to serve with wings, whether you're kicking back to watch the game or enjoying a chicken wing dinner with your family!
Make Chicken Wings A Meal
Choose 1-2 of my side dish recipes to transform your chicken wings into a satisfying lunch or dinner. I recommend choosing one carb-heavy side and one vegetable side; the wings make up the protein for a well-rounded meal!
1. Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
Any of your favorite asparagus recipes will more than likely taste great with wings. Wrapping asparagus in salty bacon and roasting it just feels more exciting, and the flavor is worthy of the perfect plate of wings!
2. Air Fryer French Fries
French fries are as classic a choice as when choosing what to serve with chicken wings. You can make your fries from scratch or buy a bag of frozen fries and pop them in the air fryer (that goes for waffle fries, too)!
3. Velveeta Mac & Cheese
When serving wings, you can't go wrong with any mac and cheese recipe! This ultra-creamy Velveeta macaroni is a great way to mellow out the flavors of spicy wings like my apricot Sriracha glazed wings!
4. German Potato Salad
Loaded with tender potatoes, tangy vinegar, and crispy bacon, German potato salad is savory and satisfying! Classic potato salad is always an option, too!
5. Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
For a filling meal, pair your wings with fully loaded baked potatoes! You can make them in your crockpot, bake them in the oven, cook them in the air fryer, or even whip them up in the microwave. Just don't forget the toppings!
6. Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
Onion rings are right up there with french fries for the most classic chicken wing side dishes. When you cook frozen onion rings in your air fryer, they crisp up beautifully, so no one will know they weren't homemade!
7. Green Garden Salad
A fresh green garden salad is an excellent way to make your wings a meal without loading up on carbs. Grab your favorite salad dressing, or try my homemade Italian vinaigrette!
8. Avocado Fries
Swap out potatoes for avocados with my easy and crunchy avocado fries! My Panko breadcrumb coating is the secret to getting them so wonderfully crispy!
9. Fried Rice
My copycat version of Panda Express's fried rice is perfect for all your Asian-inspired chicken wings flavors! Crispy fried General Tso's chicken wings are the first to come to mind!
10. Potato Croquettes
Fried potato and cheese croquettes are excellent to pair with garlic Parmesan wings or other Italian flavors! They're golden and crisp on the outside but soft and fluffy on the inside!
11. Baked Sweet Potato Fries
The natural sweetness of sweet potatoes will help mellow out the zesty flavors of your chicken wings! Sweet potato fries can also be dunked in all the same condiments!
12. Pasta Salad
My Mediterranean-style pasta salad is easy to make and will taste great with wings for lunch or dinner! Prep it the night before and let it chill in the fridge for the best flavor!
13. Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
The tropical flavor of Hawaiian macaroni salad makes it the perfect choice for a 'sweet and heat' wing plate! Try my chipotle dry rub smoked chicken wings with this creamy pineapple pasta salad for the most fabulous flavor contrast!
14. Teriyaki Noodles
A big bowl of teriyaki noodles perfectly accompanies a plate of sweet and spicy Hunan chicken wings! It makes for a satisfying takeout-inspired chicken wing dinner that is better than any restaurant!
15. Butter Milk Boiled Corn on The Cob
Milk-boiled corn on the cob is the perfect Southern side dish for any plate of wings, but BBQ wings are my favorite! Boiling the corn in butter and milk makes them extra sweet, tender, and juicy!
Serving Chicken Wings As An Appetizer
Most restaurants serve chicken wings with ranch or blue cheese dressing and vegetable sticks. They're a great starter on their own or can be paired with other apps for an impressive appetizer sampler!
16. Blue Cheese Dressing
17. Ranch Dressing
Blue cheese is a flavor that really divides people, but ranch dressing is almost always a safe bet! I usually serve both dipping sauces so everyone is happy!
18. Mild Buffalo Sauce
Chicken wings can be tossed in buffalo sauce, or you can serve it to the side. At home, you can dip your wings in ranch or blue cheese followed by buffalo sauce for the ultimate flavor combination, and double-dipping doesn't matter!
19. Cajun Dipping Sauce
Cool and creamy with a kick, this Cajun dipping sauce is perfect for mild or hot wings! You can control the heat level of the sauce by using your preferred hot sauce and adjusting the amount of Cajun seasoning.
20. Hibachi Mustard Sauce
This creamy mustard sauce, made famous by Benihana hibachi restaurants, is the perfect condiment for Asian-inspired wings. In fact, it's pretty tasty on any crispy baked or fried wings!
21. Southern Coleslaw
Cool and crispy Southern coleslaw will add a light and refreshing element to a big platter of wings. It's a great way to cool down your mouth between bites if you like your chicken wings spicy HOT!
22. Cream Cheese Wontons
Crispy on the outside and rich and creamy on the inside, cream cheese wontons are a classic Chinese takeout recipe that doubles as an excellent chicken wing side dish! You aren't limited to Asian-inspired wings, either. These wontons taste great with wings in any flavor!
23. Crispy Fried Pickles
Crispy fried pickles are another classic pub appetizer that pairs wonderfully with chicken wings. You can use all the same dipping sauces because crispy fried pickles taste great in anything!
24. Cucumber Vinegar Salad
Cool, crunchy cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions in a vinegar dressing. It's light and refreshing, and the vinegar cuts through all of the zesty wing flavors like a palate cleanser!
25. Fried String Cheese
A platter of wings, fried cheese sticks, fried pickles, or jalapeno poppers makes for a classic appetizer sampler! I like to serve them with marinara sauce for dipping, but they taste equally great in ranch and blue cheese!
26. Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Spicy, savory, and cheesy, my bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers have it all! They make an excellent appetizer sampler with chicken wings and anything else on this list.
27. Air Fryer Chili Cheese Nuggets
Grab a bag of frozen chili cheese nuggets and heat them in the air fryer! They're cheesy and perfectly dippable in ranch or any other condiments you enjoy!
28. Tennessee Onions
Cheesy Tennessee onions are a treat in and of themselves, with the onions becoming tender and somewhat sweet as they cook. They aren't overly filling but are indulgent and satisfying enough that you'll be just fine eating cheesy onions with a fork!
29. Air Fryer Potato Chips
Using your air fryer to make homemade potato chips means easy cleanup and less grease! I recommend using a mandoline for the most perfect chips.
30. Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Tender mushroom caps filled with cream cheese and Parmesan and baked until tender and melted. They're mild and creamy, which is great with spicy wings or Italian wing flavors like garlic Parmesan!
31. Steamed Artichokes with Cheese Sauce
These artichokes are steamed until tender and served with a creamy cheddar cheese sauce for dipping. If you dunk your wings in the cheese sauce, I won't tell anyone!
💭 Tips For Choosing What To Serve With Chicken Wings
Here's a short and sweet reference list to help you decide what to serve with your chicken wings! Most of the recipes above fit into one of these categories:
- Dipping Sauces: Offer a variety of dipping sauces, such as ranch, blue cheese, honey mustard, or barbecue sauce. Choose sauces that will complement the flavor of your wings!
- Vegetable Sticks: Serve fresh vegetable sticks like celery and carrots alongside your wings. These add a refreshing contrast and a bit of crunch!
- Side Salads: Light salads like coleslaw, a simple green salad, or Caesar salad will contrast the richness of your wings and add a fresh element to the meal.
- Potato Sides: Try potato wedges, fries, or loaded baked potatoes. Combining chicken wings and potatoes is a classic and satisfying pairing that never disappoints!
- Bread or Rolls: Offer some bread, rolls, or biscuits on the side. Garlic bread or soft dinner rolls can be a great addition to soak up any extra wing sauce!
What Are The Most Popular Flavors For Chicken Wings?
Mild, medium, and hot buffalo are at the top of the list, followed by garlic Parmesan, BBQ, and lemon pepper. You'll find most of these flavors at any wing bar. See the full list of Wingstop wing flavors for more ideas!
What Drinks Go With Chicken Wings?
Sweet tea, lemonade, or soda pop tastes amazing with chicken wings and can help beat the heat. Of course, beer is the most popular choice if you partake!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
What To Serve With Chicken Wings: 31+ Best Sauces, Side Dishes, & More To Make!
- 12 slices bacon (use normal bacon, not thick-cut slices)
- 24 stalks asparagus (approximately 1 bundle or 10 ounces - washed and ends trimmed)
- ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C/Gas Mark 6) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Spray a wire cooling rack with non-stick cooking spray and place it on your prepared baking sheet.
- Cut each of your 12 slices bacon strips in half lengthwise so that you have nice, thin strips to wind around the asparagus spears.
- Hold the end of your 24 stalks asparagus and wrap with bacon, winding down toward the tip of the spear. Place with the ends facing downward on your wire cooling rack. Repeat until all of the asparagus has been wrapped in bacon.
- Season with ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper then bake at 400°F (205°C/Gas Mark 6) for 10-12 minutes. Turn each piece of asparagus using tongs, then continue cooking for 5-6 minutes.
- Set the oven to broil on high to finish the bacon wrapped asparagus spears. Heat for 1-2 minutes then remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Wrap strategically. Slightly overlap the bacon as you wrap it down each spear. When cooked, the bacon will shrink and make an attractive pattern.
- Prep asparagus. Remember to rinse your asparagus to eliminate sand or dirt before you get started. Trim off the bottom end of each stalk where the green begins to fade. You can also use a peeler to remove any tough, woody outer skin as needed.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!