Cooking up perfectly crispy Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings is a snap and takes no time! The air-fried wings are crispier than oven-baked wings and much healthier than using a deep fryer! Finish your wings with my favorite wing sauce and enjoy this popular appetizer in no time!
Delicious & Crispy Chicken Wings From Frozen
Chicken wings have always been a favorite among my family and friends. My family simply can’t get enough of the crispy skin, juicy meat, and Buffalo wing sauce that provides that addictive spiciness!
While traditionally deep-fried chicken wings never go out of style, my air-fried version is just as tasty without all the added fat.
If you are an air fryer fan, you know how easy it is to use the gadget. And if you’re a newbie, you’ll soon become a frequent user, as they’re versatile.
Make a batch of these Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings as an appetizer, a snack while watching sports, or for a late-night munchie on movie night.
Check out my post on Wingstop Flavors for more wing ideas!
Your shopping list will be super short for this recipe. Less is more when it comes to air fryer frozen chicken wings, yet the results are remarkable!
Prepare to drool over the delicious wings that are arguably even better than what you’d order at your favorite restaurant or bar.
- Chicken Wings – If you want some variety, get the wings and drumettes, which also happen to be the most affordable option. However, using all wings is my go-to for this recipe for consistency.
- Salt & Pepper – Season up your wings to your liking, but if you’re serving with Buffalo chicken wing sauce, keep it light so they’re not overloaded.
For the Optional Buffalo Chicken Wing Sauce
- Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce – A classic that doesn’t compare to any other kind. Is there any other? If you happen to have a different favorite, it will certainly work, too!
- Butter – You need that fat for flavor and mouthfeel. Unsalted butter is best, but use what you have on hand!
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 How To Air Fry Frozen Chicken Wings
Preheating your air fryer is not necessary, but I recommend it for frozen foods like this chicken, especially since the cooking time is relatively short. Any sort of air fryer will work well.
However, convection-style air fryers tend to need a few additional minutes of cooking time. Go for the basket style if possible.
- Preheat your air fryer according to your model's instructions. Set the temperature to 380ºF (193ºC). If your air fryer model does not go up to this temperature, use the highest temperature setting that it will reach.
- Season your wings with salt and pepper if desired. Load the wings, “wingettes,” and/or "drumettes" onto your air fryer racks or into the air fryer basket. *They can be packed in a little closer - once the fat is rendered, you can finish the wings off for about 5-6 minutes in smaller batches to get that ultimate crispiness.
- Air fry the chicken at 380ºF (193ºC) for 30 minutes. Shake the basket or turn the wings with tongs every 10 minutes during this cooking time.
- Once the cooking time is up, increase your air fryer temperature to 400ºF (205ºC). In smaller batches with spacing between your wings, crisp the wings for 5-6 minutes. Repeat with the remaining wings until all are cooked. Wings are done when they reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C)
- If desired, transfer your chicken wings into a large bowl and toss them with your favorite wing sauce. Serve and savor!
Buffalo Chicken Wing Sauce (optional)
Add Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce with slightly cooled, melted butter. Mix thoroughly, then toss with the chicken wings to generously coat.
🍽️ What To Serve With
These wings can also be shredded over a salad or wrapped in a tortilla with some melted cheese. Better yet, make some buffalo chicken quesadillas!
💭 Tips & Notes
By following these tips, you'll be well on your way to making perfectly crispy and delicious wings in your air fryer. Enjoy the process and the tasty results!
- Adjust for Air Fryer Variability: Recognize that air fryer cook times can differ based on the model and size of the wings. Use the listed times as a general guide and adjust as needed for your specific appliance and wing size.
- Avoid Overcrowding: Ensure there's ample space around each wing in the tray or basket. This allows heat to circulate freely, resulting in crispier wings. A crowded tray can lead to unevenly cooked, less crispy wings.
- Regular Flipping: Turn the wings approximately every 10 minutes using a pair of tongs. This ensures even cooking and crispiness on all sides.
- Single-Layer Cooking: Arrange the wings in a single layer in the air fryer. This prevents them from steaming and ensures each wing gets crispy. Piling up the wings will inhibit airflow and reduce crispiness.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Pack your chicken wings in an airtight container for up to 3 - 4 days in the refrigerator. Simply reheat it in the microwave or oven. Don't forget to save some extra sauce for dipping!
For more info, see my post on reheating chicken wings.
😋 More Air Fryer Recipes
- Chicken Nuggets - Crispy and golden, these air fryer chicken nuggets offer a quick and healthier alternative to the classic kid-favorite snack.
- Pizza Rolls - Enjoy bite-sized pizza flavors with these easy, crispy air fryer pizza rolls, perfect for a quick snack or party appetizer.
- Fish Sticks - Air fryer fish sticks are a crunchy and delicious way to enjoy seafood, offering a mess-free and simple preparation.
- Grilled Ham and Cheese - Transform the classic sandwich into a crispy, melty delight, perfect for a quick and satisfying meal.
- Hot Dogs - Achieve perfectly cooked hot dogs with a slight char, all from the convenience of your air fryer.
- Potato Skins - Create restaurant-style crispy potato skins filled with your favorite toppings, all crisped to perfection.
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs frozen chicken wings (or wings and drumettes)
- each, salt & pepper (to taste - optional)
Buffalo Chicken Wing Sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup Frank's red hot original sauce
- ¼ cup butter (unsalted, melted)
- Preheat your air fryer according to your model's instructions. Set the temperature to 380℉ (193℃). If your model does not go up to this temperature, use the highest temperature setting that it will go to.
- Season your wings with salt and pepper if desired. Then load your 2 lbs frozen chicken wings, wingettes, and/or drumettes onto your air fryer racks or into the air fryer basket. *They can be packed a little closer. Once the fat is rendered, you can finish the wings off for about 5-6 minutes in smaller batches.
- Air fry the chicken wings at 380℉ (193℃) for 30 minutes, shake the basket or turn the wings every 10 minutes during this cooking time.
- Once the cooking time is up, increase your air fryer temperature to 400℉ (205℃). In smaller batches with spacing between your wings, crisp the wings for 5-6 minutes. Repeat with the remaining wings until all are cooked.
- Transfer your chicken wings into a large bowl and toss them with your favorite wing sauce if desired. Serve immediately.
Buffalo Chicken Wing Sauce (optional)
- To make the best buffalo wing sauce, simply combine ¼ cup Frank's red hot original sauce with slightly cooled, melted ¼ cup butter. Mix thoroughly, then toss with chicken wings.
I have found that while any type of air fryer model will work, the basket-style air fryers do the best job with chicken wings. The convection-style air fryers may take a few extra minutes of cooking time.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!