These easy Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwiches are a perfectly crispy way to enjoy the classic combination of ham and cheese! Stack your sandwiches with slices of ham and your favorite cheese and get ready to enjoy melted cheesy goodness in just minutes!
Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich Recipe
There's always a debate in our house about which is better, the simple grilled cheese sandwich, or a meatier version. Since I am the only real fan of ham in the household, I'll let the others pick their own favorites. I already know that if there's ham in the refrigerator, I'll be adding it!
Thin deli-sliced ham is best folded over, but I truly love thick slices of leftover holiday ham best! The flavor from the roasted ham adds so much to an already fabulous sandwich!
More to the point, the air fryer version of these comfort food sandwiches is a true delight! No more not-quite-melted cheese in the center, or having to use American cheese for an easy solution to perfectly melted cheese.
How To Make A Grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwich In An Air Fryer
Start out with preheating your air fryer while you build the ham and cheese sandwiches. Set the air fryer to 370ºF ( 188ºC ) and the total cooking time for 8 minutes.
Step 1 - butter your bread, or use your favorite oil spray to coat the sides of bread that will be facing outward. You can use a lighter amount of butter and still get wonderfully crispy sandwiches when cooked in the air fryer!
Step 2 - Stack your ham slices onto the unbuttered sides of your sandwich bread. Fold thin-sliced ham for more height or to fit the ham slices onto your bread for best coverage.
Step 3 - add a layer of cheese slices. Use your favorite cheese or a combination of cheeses. Cheddar is a common choice, but Colby or Colby-Jack will melt a bit better and leaves less grease on your plate!
Step 4 - top-off the sandwiches with the second piece of sandwich bread and season with garlic salt for an extra touch of flavor. Place the sandwiches into your air fryer basket. Place the basket into your air fryer, or transfer your air fryer racks with the assembled sandwiches into your convection style air fryer.
Step 5 - ( basket ) cook the sandwiches for 5 minutes, then flip and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes. ( convection ) Cook the air fryer grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for 8 minutes, and flip the sandwiches when the indicator says to 'TURN FOOD'. Also, rotate the racks from the top to the bottom and vice versa.
Remove the sandwiches when they are golden and crispy, then slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tips for Best Air Fryer Results
Preheating – Don’t skip this step! Most air fryers require a preheating time and it is recommended for best results when cooking your food.
Plenty of space – You may be tempted to pack as much food as possible in, but don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket or racks. The air fryers need room to circulate air around your sandwiches to get them toasty and melty.
Variable cooking times – Since not all air fryers are the same, you may need to watch your food closely toward the end of the cooking cycle. Your sandwiches may cook quickly, or need a minute or two extra depending on your air fryer model.
More Great Air Fryer Recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Grilled Ham and Cheese
- 8 slices bread
- 8 slices cheese (or roughly ½ cup shredded cheese per sandwich)
- 8 slices ham
- 4 tablespoon butter (softened, at room temperature)
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F (188 degrees C). For a convection style air fryer, select 'AIR FRY' and set the timer to 8 minutes.
- Butter the slices of bread. For a convection style oven, place half the buttered bread slices onto the air fryer racks facing down.
- Add sliced or shredded cheese portions. Trim excess cheese from edges if desired.
- Add ham slices.
- Top the sandwich with the second buttered slice of bread facing upward. Add garlic salt, if desired.
- For a convection style air fryer: Add the racks with the sandwich(es) when the indicator says to 'ADD FOOD'. Flip the sandwiches when the indicator says to 'TURN FOOD' and move the bottom rack to the top, and the top rack to the bottom for even cooking.For a basket style air fryer: Place the basket with the sandwich(es) into your air fryer and set for 5 minutes. When the 5-minute cook cycle is done, flip the sandwich or sandwiches and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!