This easy to make Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing is absolutely perfect as a dipping sauce and as a salad dressing! Leave your blue cheese crumbles chunky, or mash them into the creamy dressing for an even more wonderful blue cheese flavor!
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Better-than-store-bought blue cheese dressing is super easy to make at home! Best of all, you know exactly the quality and freshness of your blue cheese dressing!
Everyone in my home is a fan of blue cheese dressing, but it is a requirement whenever I make appetizers that are coated in buffalo sauce. The debate between blue cheese vs ranch dressing as the best for serving with buffalo wings will continue for many years ( and I don’t see any end in the near future )!
How to Make Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
To make your homemade blue cheese dip or dressing, start by combining the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. I like to mix my sour cream, mayonnaise, and white wine vinegar or lemon juice together first until nice and creamy.
Add the seasoning and blue cheese crumbles to the base ingredients, then stir until well combined. If you choose to, you can use the back of a spoon or fork to crush the blue cheese into smaller pieces. Doing this distributes the blue cheese crumbles more evenly throughout the dressing, and adds more tasty blue cheese flavor!
At this point you will have a thick and creamy blue cheese dressing that is best used as a dipping sauce. To thin your sauce out for a thinner dressing consistency, simply add a couple tablespoons of buttermilk ( or milk, or water ). Stir, taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Continue adding liquid in one tablespoonful amounts until you reach your desired salad dressing consistency.
Storing Your Blue Cheese Dressing
Store any unused portions of your blue cheese dip or dressing refrigerated in an air tight container. Dressing will keep for up to two weeks, if stored properly.
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman's Olive Oil Mayo)
- 3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 Tbsp parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1/8 tsp each, salt & pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the ingredients (sour cream, mayonnaise, blue cheese crumbles, parsley, white wine vinegar or lemon juice, salt and pepper, and garlic powder). Stir until well combined.
- For more great blue cheese flavor, use the back of a spoon or fork to crush some of the blue cheese crumbles into smaller pieces to incorporate into the dressing better and add more flavor.
- Add two tablespoons of buttermilk (or milk, or water), stir and adjust seasoning as needed. Continue to add buttermilk in 1 tablespoonful amounts until you reach your desired salad dressing consistency.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!