The best chicken wing sauce recipe is so easy and full of flavor you’ll want wings for dinner all the time! With just enough spice, this versatile sauce is delicious on more than just chicken wings- it also makes a great dip!
The Best Chicken Wing Sauce Recipe
There’s nothing like watching the game while you chow down on some chicken wings. Wing sauce comes in all different varieties- spicy, sweet, savory, you name it.
This recipe here is for my absolute favorite wing sauce out of all of them. It’s so easy to make yourself at home and it has just the right amount of kick so that everyone is happy.
To make the best wings you need the best chicken wing sauce, and this is my favorite by far!
Not only that, but this sauce is also great for snacking in other ways. I love using it to dip my veggies or drizzling it on a sandwich. It’s even delicious on pizza!
Don’t take my word for it, just try this ridiculously flavorful wing sauce for yourself! Trust me, it’s worth the 10 minutes of time it takes to make.
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
It’s Flexible! You can easily adjust the heat if you like it spicier or increase the sweetness if that’s what you prefer!
It’s Tasty! This sauce is tangy, it’s sweet, it’s hot, it’s the perfect combination of everything you want from a wing sauce!
It’s Easy! This recipe is beginner-friendly, there’s not much to it!
There are no outrageous ingredients here! It’s all pretty basic stuff that you likely already have at home.
- ⅔ cup Frank’s Red Hot - This is my preferred hot sauce, but If you have a favorite feel free to use it instead.
- ½ cup Butter – It will melt faster if you let it soften at room temperature before cooking, but it isn’t essential.
- 1 ½ tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar – If you don’t have any on hand, you can try one of these substitutes.
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce – There are a few options if you need to substitute this as well, but it will slightly affect the flavor.
- Seasonings – ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, if desired, for added heat.
- ½ cup Sugar or Honey (optional) – I always add this, but it is a personal preference for those that like their wing sauce with a little sweetness.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
You can whip up this sauce in 10 minutes flat. You just need a whisk and a saucepan!
- Combine. In a medium saucepan combine all the ingredients (⅔ cup hot sauce, ½ cup butter, 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar, ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, seasonings, and honey if using). Heat the mixture over medium heat.
- Simmer. Bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring or whisking occasionally, then remove it from heat and whisk once more.
- Serve. Once finished, you may set the sauce aside to cool so you can store it or toss it with wings and serve right away.
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- For a smooth sauce, begin by melting the butter in the saucepan, then whisk in 1 tablespoon of flour to make a roux. After that, continue with the recipe as instructed and the sauce will thicken as it cools.
- If starting with unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to taste.
- For the most flavor, marinate your wings in the sauce for 30 minutes up to *Remember, always discard any sauce used as a marinade for raw chicken (unless it is cooked before using later).
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Store cooled wing sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 10 days.
Wing sauce can be frozen in the same airtight container for up to 2 months.
Reheating Chicken Wing Sauce
I do not recommend reheating this wing sauce in the microwave because butter-based sauces tend to explode in the microwave easily. Instead, reheat it in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat and whisk to combine.
🫕 More of My Favorite Sauce Recipes!
To make this sauce vegan for dipping veggies or plant-based chicken, simply substitute the butter for a vegan butter alternative and make sure to get a Worcestershire sauce that does not include anchovies. (This applies when using Frank’s Red Hot, if using another hot sauce be sure to check the ingredients.)
Sure, feel free to use your preferred sugar substitute to taste. Keep in mind, those that have a distinct taste (like Splenda) may come through in the sauce. Not all substitutes are used as a 1:1 replacement for sugar, so follow the suggested ratio on the packaging and taste as you go.
Best Chicken Wing Sauce (Super Tasty!!)
- ⅔ cup Frank's red hot original sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional - up to 2 teaspoons for more 'heat')
- ½ cup sugar or honey (optional - to sweeten and reduce 'heat')
- In a medium saucepan add all of the ingredients (hot sauce, butter, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder) and heat over medium heat. *Add any optional ingredients if desired.⅔ cup Frank's red hot original sauce, ½ cup butter, 1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar, ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, ½ cup sugar or honey
- Bring the sauce just to the point of simmering, stirring or whisking occasionally, then remove from heat and whisk again.
- Set aside to cool and store, or toss with wings and serve.
- Add a pinch of salt to taste if starting with unsalted butter.
- Make a roux with a tablespoon of flour and melted butter before adding the remaining ingredients for a smooth sauce.
- Marinate your chicken wings at least 30 minutes and up to overnight for more flavor. *Note that you should always discard any sauce that was used as marinade with the raw chicken (unless it is cooked before using later).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!