Who doesn't love mozzarella sticks? Using this fried string cheese mozzarella sticks recipe they are super easy to serve up fast as an appetizer, a game day snack, or just because you're really craving them!!
Deep Fried String Cheese Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
These are so popular at our home that they disappear almost before they come out of the fryer and they are perfect for dipping in our Classic Marinara Sauce!
Instructions are included on this page for making cheese sticks in the oven or air fryer as well!
You can use breadcrumbs on these, Italian seasoned breadcrumbs are even better...but best of all is freshly crushed Italian seasoned croutons (as pictured for this recipe).
Such a simple and easy recipe you will need Italian seasoned croutons, string cheese, flour, and eggs.
These work great for freezing to eat later, so feel free to make a large batch all at once.
A small fryer is perfect for cooking cheese sticks but if you don't have one you can use a sauce pan with oil or alternately you could bake them in the oven or even use a air fryer!
How to Make Mozzarella Sticks By Deep Frying
- Preheat your oil in a deep fryer, or a pan with a couple of inches of oil that should be enough to fully immerse your mozzarella cheese sticks, to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C) and set up your dredging station.
- If you are using string cheese, remove the packaging and cut the cheese sticks in half (optional) so that everything is ready to move through the breading process quickly.
- Roll the mozzarella sticks in the flour for an initial coating, then thoroughly coat them with egg before moving to the crushed croutons. The crouton coating can be applied by rolling the mozzarella sticks in the bowl and then pressing crouton crumbles into any areas that have less covering.
- Now DO IT AGAIN. (this is the double coating that is needed to keep everything inside)
- Once double coated, set your mozzarella sticks into the fry basket with about an inch between them so that you are frying up to six at a time (I opted for whole string cheese sticks, we choose to not cut ours in half).
- Once all of your mozzarella sticks are coated and ready to cook, drop the frying basket down into your preheated oil, or carefully lower each mozzarella stick into your pan if frying on the stove top using a slotted spoon. Since these mozzarella sticks are not frozen, the cooking process will not take long at all.
- Watch closely as your mozzarella sticks should be golden and cooked in only about 1 minute. Remove from oil and place onto a cooling rack set inside a baking sheet for a quick cool down that allows any excess cooking oil to freely drain off your mozzarella sticks.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to setup inside the breading.
***If you are using frozen mozzarella sticks put them out to completely defrost at room temperature before frying. The double breading method will keep them from exploding and give the cheese the short time needed to melt!
Making Mozzarella Cheese Sticks In The Air Fryer Or Oven
- Make sure you double coat your cheese sticks so the batter will be thick enough to keep everything inside.
- For air fryer mozzarella cheese sticks again make sure they are frozen at least 30 minutes before air frying.
- For oven baked mozzarella sticks freeze sticks for at least 30 minutes, then arrange on a baking sheet. Place in oven at 425 F for 7 minutes then flip over for another 7 minutes.
Serve with marinara or your favorite dipping sauce!
Deep Fried String Cheese Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- 12 string cheese sticks (cut in half)
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 c croutons (Italian seasoned, crushed)
- Preheat your fryer or pan of vegetable oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Setup dredging station: whisk eggs in one bowl, add flour to another, and crushed croutons to a third bowl.
- Remove packaging from string cheese and cut the cheese sticks in half (optional). Roll string cheese in flour, then coat thoroughly with eggs and transfer to the crushed croutons bowl. Roll the cheese stick in the crushed croutons and then pat more into any areas that need more coating for an even layer.
- Set breaded cheese sticks into frying basket about one inch apart or onto a tray until ready to drop into oil (if using stove top method). Continue to coat the cheese sticks until all are ready to cook.
- Drop into fryer or heated oil in batches and watch closely as they will only take about one minute to cook, the mozzarella sticks will be golden brown when done.
- Remove to a cooling rack placed onto a baking sheet to allow the cheese sticks to cool and drain off excess oil. Cool for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to setup before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!