This fabulous classic marinara sauce recipe will have you thinking up more ways to use it! It's so easy and quick, leaving you plenty of time to cook up some mozzarella sticks or any of your favorite foods to dip. We also love to use this marinara sauce as the base for our pizza sauce, just blitzed to a nice smooth consistency and a few additional ingredients (mainly tomato paste and fennel).
To get started: we blitzed half of our fire roasted diced tomatoes (1 can - do not drain off tomato juice) in a food processor or nutribullet and minced the garlic.
Next, heat a large skillet and extra virgin olive oil heated to a medium temperature.
When the oil is hot, add minced garlic and let it start to sizzle and take on a caramel coloring but do not let it brown (about 1-2 minutes).
Add 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes and the blended can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Then add the seasoning: oregano, Italian seasoning, basil and red pepper flakes.
Stir sauce to combine.
Once the marinara sauce is bubbling, reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
Once the sauce has simmered for ten minutes, taste and add salt if needed or desired. Continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes, until the oil on the marinara sauce surface is a deep orange in color.
Classic Marinara Sauce Recipe
- 29 oz fire roasted tomatoes (2 14.5 oz cans - diced, do not drain juices)
- ¼ cup olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 ½ Tbsp garlic (minced)
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp basil
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt (to taste)
- Blend one of the 2 14.5 oz cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Mince garlic.
- Heat large skillet and extra virgin olive oil to a medium heat. Add garlic to heated oil, cook until caramel in color but do not let it brown.
- Add both cans worth of tomatoes (do not drain either), both diced and the blended portion, to the oil and garlic.Add seasoning: oregano, Italian seasoning, basil and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Once sauce is bubbling, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste, add salt if desired and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Simmer until sauce is thickened and the oil on the surface is deep orange in color.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!