This simple spaghetti seasoning mix is the secret ingredient you didn't know you needed to elevate your pasta dinners! Good for more than spaghetti, you can easily use this herbaceous seasoning blend in your pizzas, sauces, soups, and more!
A made-from-scratch spice blend for spaghetti and other pasta dishes!
Spaghetti seasoning is the seasoning blend you didn't know you needed to keep in your cabinet. It's similar to Italian seasoning, but it has a few ingredients that really compliment pasta dishes.
I omit salt from this seasoning mix because you can salt each your dishes beforehand. No salt makes this seasoning super versatile because it can be used in already salty or acidic things, such as pasta sauce!
A handful of simple ingredients from your spice cabinet. Together they make a pasta-enhancing herb blend that you'll want to use again and again!
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder - I still often combine this seasoning with some minced garlic in Italian recipes where I want a heavy garlic flavor.
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder - 3 tablespoons of dried minced onion can be used in a pinch.
- 2 tablespoons Oregano - If you're out, here are a few oregano substitutes.
- 3 tablespoons Basil - Dried basil, but you can always add some fresh basil leaves to your recipe for added 'oomph'.
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary - Slightly smashed so it disperses better. *See note on recipe card. Or, try one of these rosemary substitutes.
- 1 teaspoon Thyme - A sprinkle of dried thyme or a thyme alternative.
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper - I prefer a coarse ground black pepper, but any will do.
- Red Pepper Flakes - More or less depending on how hot you like things.
- 1 pinch Fennel Seeds (optional) - Fennel is a unique flavor often used in Italian dishes like meatballs. I highly recommend adding it, but some people aren't a fan of fennel.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
Just mix it all together! I find a whisk is the easiest way.
- Mix. In a small bowl combine all ingredients (1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 2 tablespoons oregano, 3 tablespoons basil, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 1 teaspoon thyme, red pepper flakes to taste, and 1 pinch of optional fennel seeds if using).
- Season or store. Once thoroughly combined, store for later use or use right away.
This seasoning is incredibly tasty when used to season much more than just spaghetti, lasagna, pizza, meatballs, etc. I use it on garlic bread, in soups, and to spice up pasta dishes all the time! Enjoy!
Keep spaghetti seasoning in an airtight container in pantry or cupboard for up to 6 months. Shake before using to redistribute all of the ingredients.
*Your homemade spice blends can usually be stored for quite some time. However, they will start to lose potency the longer they are stored.
🧂 More DIY Seasoning Blends!
📖 Recipe Card
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients (garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes, and optional fennel seeds if using).1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 2 tablespoon oregano, 3 tablespoon basil, 1 tablespoon rosemary, 1 teaspoon thyme, 2 teaspoon black pepper, red pepper flakes, 1 pinch fennel seeds
- Mix well and store in an airtight container. Use a spice grinder or food processor to break up any larger herbs if desired (before storing).
- When ready to use, shake to re-distribute the ingredients then add some of the seasoning to your pasta sauce as it cooks.
- Always shake up the seasoning before using it. Heavier herbs and spices tend to settle on the bottom.
- There is no salt in this recipe. Salt the dish to your liking before seasoning.
- To smash the rosemary more easily, toss it in a dry pan over medium heat for just a couple of minutes. This will release the flavor and make it easier to crush.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!