Homemade Taco Seasoning is perfect for everyday use as there are no extra preservatives or unnecessary ingredients, plus you’ll never run out! No extra trips to the store either, and this is so much tastier than the store-bought varieties!!
Tasty Taco Seasoning for So Much More Than Just Tacos
If you’re one of those people that isn’t a huge fan of salt ( like me ), or your dietary needs call for low-sodium, you can easily control how much salt this taco seasoning mix contains. Plus, you can avoid any ‘extra’ ingredients like preservatives!
Use it with your favorite meat for tacos, like our Ground Beef Taco Meat, and have it on hand for spicing up many other dishes! Try it out in my tasty Restaurant Style Mexican Rice and my hearty Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)!
What You’ll Need
- Chili Powder – Adds a slight amount of heat to your taco seasoning. This is one of the main ingredients to increase or decrease to control your tacos for mild, medium or spicy tastes.
- Ground Cumin – This is one of my favorite spices! I use it in pretty much EVERYTHING that has Mexican or Text-Mex flavors!
- Paprika – Another one of my fave spices for overall protein seasoning! Whether you’re using beef, pork, lamb, goat, chicken, shrimp, fish, or any seafood they can all be livened up with a smattering of paprika!
- All-Purpose Flour – Used to thicken your taco filling. However, using flour is completely optional and there are many other substitutions that can be used as thickening agents.
- Salt & Pepper – The base spices that highlight all of your tasty taco ingredient flavors!
- Garlic Powder – Makes vibrant, spicy flavors balanced with its unique but earthy flavor.
- Onion Powder – Onion powder or dried minced onion add more depth of flavor that balances well with all of your taco seasoning ingredients.
- Red Pepper Flakes – For another bit of heat! Start with less and add more if you have picky eaters. You can also sub cayenne pepper for the red pepper flakes.
- Oregano – Delightfully tasty oregano adds brightness to the taco mix and lightens up some of the heavier flavors!
Mix It Up!
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until evenly distributed. Use approximately 1 batch or 3 tablespoons for each pound of ground beef. Then add 1/3 cup of water once the ground beef has been browned if desired. Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes or until your taco meat is thickened and enjoy!
Store unused homemade taco seasoning mix in an airtight container (I frequently use Ziploc bags when I know that I plan on using the rest up soon).
Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or use cayenne pepper)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Combine all ingredients: chili powder, cumin, paprika, flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
- Mix until well combined and use immediately or store for later.
Storage times will vary based on how old the spices were when used. Keep in an airtight container in a cool, dark pantry or cabinet for best results.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!