I can't think of anyone that doesn't love tacos loaded with this easy skillet cooked, seasoned ground beef taco meat!
Ground Beef Taco Meat Recipe
If there was anything leftover (which has only happened on rare occasions), the ground beef taco meat was perfect for a quick taco salad at lunchtime. One of my favorites, which I was never able to enjoy until I decided to double the portion of ground beef.
This recipe reflects the doubled ground beef portion. Sooo, be advised that this will make a good size portion of taco meat that will still manage to disappear too fast anyway 🙂
Oh, and if you think your taco meat can't get even yummier, try cooking the ground beef for tacos in a cast iron skillet vs a non-stick frying pan. It adds a little bit of crust to each of the crumbled browned beef pieces that is absolutely delicious!
My preference when making my seasoned ground beef taco meat is to start out with ground chuck, which is typically 80/20, so you will need to drain off some excess fat once your ground beef is browned. I also prefer to use my own taco seasoning mix, which I know you will enjoy too, but feel free to use whatever taco seasoning you may have on hand. Mine just came about from one of those nights when I was absolutely sure that I had some in the pantry, only to find out that I was mistaken.
If you love making homemade components for your meals like I do, check out some of my favorites (they're linked above the recipe too!). Family and friends agree, this salsa verde (roasted or raw) and pico de gallo are the best ever! They're quick and easy, just like the taco meat, and are a tasty addition to top your tacos off with.
Taco Night Essentials
- Ground Beef Taco Meat (this page)
- Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Authentic Salsa Verde
- Pico de Gallo
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Crock Pot Recipe (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- Taco Seasoning Mix
- Creamy Guacamole
Ground Beef Taco Meat
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (cooking oil, we also like coconut oil)
- ¼ c onion (yellow or white, finely diced)
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles
- 2 lbs ground chuck (or your preferred ground beef)
- 2 taco seasoning mix (see recipe, or use prepackaged mix)
- 1 c cilantro (fresh, chopped - approx. 1 bunch)
- 1 lime (serve as wedges, or squeeze juice into the taco meat)
- Bring olive oil in a large non-stick or cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Add onion and chopped canned chiles and cook for 1-2 minutes. The onion should begin to become translucent before adding your ground beef.
- Add the ground beef and brown, turn frequently and break apart the pieces of ground beef while cooking so that all meat is browned evenly. Drain off excess oil, if needed.
- Add taco seasoning mix, cilantro and lime and combine thoroughly. Cook into the browned ground beef for an additional 1-2 minutes. (*If using commercial taco seasoning mix, follow instructions for the portion of water to be added as packaged mixes typically contain cornstarch)
- Remove from heat and serve.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!