We love getting a bunch of fresh tomatillos and making up a batch of this fabulous homemade Authentic Salsa Verde! It is such a light salsa with just the right amount of lime that compliments the cilantro flavor and the heat of the jalapeno, just perfect!
The other bonus is, the consistency is just right for all of the youngsters in your household to thoroughly enjoy this salsa verde without being able to see big chunks of what it's made of.
We love sneaking in the 'good stuff'...it's much easier when what you give them isn't green though!
To Oven Roast Your Vegetables…
Arrange the sliced vegetable skin side up on it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Make sure that the sliced vegetables are roughly the same size to roast them evenly, and leave the garlic cloves unpeeled.
Set your oven to broil (on high, if you have that option) and broil the vegetables for about 8 minutes. They should have a nice charred and blistered appearance when ready to remove from the oven.
Remove vegetables that are done before the others, if necessary.
To Grill Your Vegetables…
If you are already barbecuing this is a great way to get that roasted flavor! Or, if you have a smoker, place your vegetables on a piece of aluminum foil and let the vegetables smoke for about an hour. Your tomatillo skins will practically pull off whole when the vegetables are done.
Please note, that if you use this option your onion will have a more subtle flavor so you may want to use a whole onion to smoke…then begin with a quarter of your onion, and add slowly to your salsa as needed.
If Using a Food Processor or Blender…
Peel the roasted garlic cloves and combine all of the ingredients in your food processor or blender, blitz until rough chopped or blend until smooth, depending on your preferences.
If Using a Mortar and Pestle…
Peel your garlic cloves and tomatoes, and place the coarse salt, vegetables, and cilantro in the bowl of the mortar. Grind the ingredients to your desired consistency, then add lime juice.
Either way…taste and add more lime juice or salt, if needed (to taste). Refrigerate the salsa verde, or serve immediately. Enjoy!
*Just a note: We frequently skip roasting the vegetables are serve this in a raw version. It is equally wonderful!
Taco Night Essentials
- Ground Beef Taco Meat
- Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Authentic Salsa Verde (this page)
- Pico de Gallo
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Crock Pot Recipe (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- Taco Seasoning Mix
- Creamy Guacamole
Authentic Salsa Verde
- 1 lb tomatillos (husk removed)
- 3 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
- ½ jalapeno
- ¼ c white or yellow onion
- ¼ c cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- 2 tablespoon lime juice (plus pulp)
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- Roast your vegetables in the oven by broiling: layer your vegetables evenly on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, including cut tomatillos (in half, so that they are arranged skin side up), unpeeled garlic cloves, jalapeno pepper, and onion.
- Broil on high setting (if available) for about 8 minutes or until your vegetables get a nice, charred appearance. Remove vegetables that are charred faster than the others, if necessary, and continue until all vegetables are slightly charred and blistered. Alternatively, you can grill your vegetables, or lay your vegetables on a piece of aluminum foil and roast them in a smoker for about an hour.
- You can combine all of the ingredients in a food processor (after peeling the garlic) and give it a few quick blitzes to leave it rough chopped, or combine until smooth (if desired). If using a mortar and pestle, combine the roasted vegetables after peeling the skin off of the tomatoes and garlic. Grind the vegetables together with the coarse salt, then add rough chopped cilantro and lime juice.
- Either way you make it, once combined, taste and add more lime juice or salt (as needed, to taste).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!