This slow cooker Salisbury steak recipe is the ultimate comfort food. This dish is perfect for busy days and combines juicy beef patties with rich mushroom gravy; all simmered to perfection in your slow cooker. Prep time is minimal, resulting in a mouth-watering meal that's sure to please the whole family.
Easy Classic Family Dinner
There's nothing quite like the comforting taste of a homemade Salisbury steak, especially when it's made in a slow cooker. This recipe brings you the classic flavors of this beloved dish with the added convenience of set-it-and-forget-it preparation.
I love using my crockpot for some easy family dinner recipes! After everything is in the slow cooker, you can simply let it be so it can work its magic!
All of these ingredients can easily be found at your local supermarket! Just pick up anything you need on your next grocery run.
For The Beef Steak Patties
- Ground Beef - 2 pounds of lean ground beef.
- Onion Soup Mix - 1 packet of dry onion soup mix.
- Bread Crumbs - ½ cup of plain bread crumbs.
- Milk - ¼ cup of milk.
- Egg - 1 large egg.
- Salt & Pepper - Adjusted to taste.
- Flour - ⅛ cup of all-purpose flour.
- Butter - 1 tablespoon of butter.
For The Mushroom Gravy
- Cream of Chicken Soup - 1 10.75-ounce can of cream of chicken condensed soup.
- Au Jus Gravy Mix - 1 standard packet of au jus gravy mix.
- Worcestershire Sauce - 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
- Beef Broth - 1 cup of beef broth.
- White Mushrooms - 2 cups of sliced white mushrooms.
- Parsley - ¼ cup of chopped fresh parsley.
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 How To Make Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
This is one of those slow cooker meals that require a few minutes of searing your patties before adding everything into the slow cooker, so keep that in mind when meal planning. You'll need a mixing bowl, skillet, and your crock pot!
This recipe will make 8 servings. The amount of patties depends on how big you make them!
- Mix. In a medium bowl, combine 2 pounds of lean ground beef with ½ cup of plain bread crumbs, 1 packet of dry onion soup mix, 1 egg, and ¼ cup of milk. Gently mix together.
- Form patties. Divide the mixture into eight portions and form your patties. Place patties on a baking dish or plate, season with salt and pepper, then dust with part of your ⅛ cup of flour.
- Sear the patties. Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat, and melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the patties to the heated skillet or frying pan (seasoned side down), season the upward-facing side of your patties, then dust with more flour. Brown both sides of the patties and remove them from the heat.
- Make the gravy. In your slow cooker, combine the 10.75-ounce can of condensed cream of chicken soup, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, a packet of au jus gravy mix, and 1 cup of beef broth. Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Transfer everything to the crock pot. Place the browned patties into your slow cooker (about two layers) so that they are covered with the sauce. Add 2 cups of sliced mushrooms and ¼ cup of chopped parsley.
- Cook. Cook in your slow cooker on high for two hours or on the low setting for four hours (or until well done).
💭 Tips & Notes
- Depending on your time needs, you can set your slow cooker to high and have dinner ready in just a couple of hours or you can set it to low and let it cook longer!
- Don't skip out on searing your patties! This process not only adds some extra flavor, but also helps them to hold their shape while in the slow cooker!
- You can substitute the ground beef for ground turkey in this recipe. It is just as tasty!
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Place any leftovers into a sealed container and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Additionally, you can freeze the uncooked patties for up to a month. Allow them to defrost overnight and pop them in the crockpot as normal!
Since the beef is already cooked, you can simply use the microwave to reheat your Salisbury steaks!
If you prefer, you can reheat your steaks on the stovetop with a splash of beef broth.
A hamburger steak is straightforward, as it only contains salt and pepper. Meanwhile, a Salisbury steak contains other ingredients, such as egg and breadcrumbs!
The Egg and breadcrumbs act as binders to hold your Salisbury steaks together! If your patties are falling apart, you probably don't have the right amount of these ingredients. Make sure to check the recipe!
😋 More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Country Style Pork Ribs - These incredibly tender and flavorful ribs are effortless to make!
- Slow Cooker Kielbasa And Sauer Kraut - This crockpot recipe features delicious kielbasa and tangy sauer kraut!
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken - Crack chicken is as addictive as it sounds- it's overloaded with chicken, bacon, and ranch!
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings - If you love comfort food, check out this easy slow cooker chicken & dumplings!
- Crockpot Mac & Cheese - This gooey mac & cheese is a delicious side dish for any meal!
- Crockpot Beef Stew - For an easy and hearty stew, this beef recipe has everything you need!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak With Mushroom Gravy
- 2 lbs ground beef (lean)
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- ½ cup bread crumbs (plain)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- ⅛ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken condensed soup
- 1 packet au jus gravy mix
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups white mushrooms (sliced)
- ¼ cup parsley (fresh, chopped)
- In a medium bowl, combine the lean ground beef with plain bread crumbs, dry onion soup mix, large egg, and milk. Divide into eight portions and form your patties. Place patties on a baking dish or plate and season with salt and pepper, then dust with flour.2 lbs ground beef, 1 packet dry onion soup mix, ½ cup bread crumbs, ¼ cup milk, 1 large egg, each, salt & pepper, ⅛ cup all-purpose flour
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat, and melt butter. Add patties to the heated skillet or frying pan (seasoned side down) and season the upward facing side of your patties, then dust with flour. Brown both sides of the patties and remove from heat.1 tablespoon butter
- Combine the can of condensed cream of chicken soup, Worcestershire sauce, au jus gravy mix, and beef broth in your slow cooker. Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together until smooth.1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken condensed soup, 1 packet au jus gravy mix, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, 1 cup beef broth
- Place the browned patties into your slow cooker (about two layers) to cover them with the sauce. Add sliced mushrooms and chopped parsley.2 cups white mushrooms, ¼ cup parsley
- Cook in your slow cooker on high for two hours or on the low setting for four hours (or until well done).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!