One day not that long ago I had a kick of nostalgia for Grandma’s Chicken and Dumplings, and while Granny Janny certainly didn’t use a slow cooker for her version, this is a very close approximation.
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Adaptations to this recipe are easily made, including substituting cream of chicken soup for the chicken broth and heavy cream.
Prepackaged biscuits or biscuits made from Bisquick are also very successfully used for equally wonderful results in a pinch!
This amazingly delicious and hearty dinner is as easy as chopping up some onion and garlic, setting them on the bottom of your slow cooker and then placing your boneless, skinless, cubed chicken breasts on top.
Pile on the sliced vegetables after that including potato, carrot, and celery, as well as the canned corn (or frozen).
Then add the chives, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper for seasoning and top off all of it with the liquids, chicken broth and heavy cream.
Set the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, or 3-4 hours on the high temperature. If you happen to be around during the cooking time, I like to stir mine every two hours.
To Make The Dumplings
For the dumplings, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl or your stand mixer bowl, including all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Cut in the cold, cubed butter until crumbly and about pea-sized.
Then add the milk and stir until a rough dough ball is formed.
Portion out the dumpling dough in heaping tablespoons over the top of the chicken soup, spacing the dumplings so that there is room for expansion.
Cover and continue to cook the chicken and dumplings in your slow cooker for 35-45 minutes or until the dumplings are no longer doughy on the inside.
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Chicken Soup Base
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, cubed into chunks)
- 1 russet potato (sliced, use 2 if medium sized)
- 3 carrots (sliced)
- 4 celery ribs (sliced)
- 1/2 yellow onion (minced or finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or finely chopped)
- 1 15.25 oz can of sweet whole kernel corn (drained)
- 2 c (480 ml) chicken broth
- 1 c (240 ml) heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp (0.4 g) chives (freeze dried or fresh)
- 1 tsp (1 g) each, rosemary & thyme
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 c (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp (6.25 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp (35 g) unsalted butter (cold, cubed)
- 1/2 c (120 ml) milk (preferably whole milk)
Chicken Soup Base
- In a slow cooker, layer the minced or chopped onion and garlic on the bottom. Add cubed chicken breast pieces, then top with vegetables: potato, carrot, celery, corn.
- Add seasoning: chives, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper, then add both the chicken broth and heavy cream. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt) in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients, until crumbly and about pea sized. Add milk and stir until a rough dough ball is formed.
- Drop heaping tablespoon sized portions of the dough over the top of chicken soup in the crock pot after the 6 hours cooking time. Leave space between the dumplings for expansion.
- Continue to cook the chicken and dumplings, covered, on low for 35-45 minutes or until the dumplings are no longer doughy.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!