My super easy crock pot chicken & gravy is the perfect dinner of creamy, tender shredded chicken in tasty chicken gravy! Juicy chicken is cooked down with luscious cream of chicken and flavorful chicken gravy to make a rich, comforting 3-ingredient meal the whole family can enjoy!
Crock pot chicken is creamy, flavorful, and such a crowd-pleaser!
Even the pickiest of eaters will love this crockpot chicken and gravy! Hearty, succulent chicken is slow-cooked until pull-apart tender in a super creamy chicken gravy that’s loaded with flavor.
It’s a basic recipe, so you can customize it to fit your family’s tastes! Chicken & gravy is such a comforting meal that’s perfect as we start to get cold weather.
I love how the slow cooker makes this recipe so easy! Do it before you get busy, and you’ll be ready to eat by the time you’re done. It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare, so dinner prep will be such a breeze!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
The Easiest Ever! Simply mix the chicken breasts with a few easy ingredients and let it slow cook! It’s so quick and easy!
A Crowd Pleaser! This simple, yet flavorful dinner is so wholesome and delicious! No one will be able to resist it!
Perfect for Cold Weather! Everyone wants a hearty, comforting warm meal when the weather starts to turn. My chicken & gravy is the perfect cozy meal!
This hearty crockpot chicken & gravy has just 4 ingredients! You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to pull together!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
- Chicken – You can either use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs here, whatever your preference! You’ll need 3 pounds here.
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup – You’ll want a family sized can for this recipe (22 ounces). Cream of chicken is so good here, because it adds a ton of delicious, savory chicken flavor!
- Chicken Gravy Mix – You can use whatever brand is your preference! The chicken gravy mix will add more flavor and thicken the sauce up nicely.
- Water – This is just to thin out the cream of chicken and gravy. You can also use chicken stock (though I would recommend reduced or no sodium)or milk – it’s totally up to you!
- If desired, you can substitute the milk for water to make a creamier chicken gravy! You can also substitute chicken stock for the water to have a stronger gravy flavor!
- You can also use a turkey breast and turkey gravy mix for a delicious, easy meal you can make around the holidays! Make sure to cut the breast into smaller pieces for the same cooking time.
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
My super easy to make chicken & gravy only takes 5 minutes to prepare! Make sure that you’ve stirred in all the dry gravy mix into the liquid so there aren’t any dry pockets.
- Prep. Start by removing 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs from their packaging. Then rinse and pat them dry. Be sure to sanitize your skin and wash your hands!
- Combine ingredients. Make sure your crock pot is plugged in and remove the cover. Then, add the cleaned chicken to the crock pot, 22 ounces of condensed cream of chicken soup, 2 packets of chicken gravy mix, and 1 cup of water. Give everything a good stir to combine the soup mix and gravy.
- Slow cook. Put the cover on the crock pot and cook on the high setting for 4 hours. After 4 hours, use an instant read thermometer probe and make sure the chicken is at least 165°F (74°C), then remove chicken pieces. Finally, using 2 forks, shred the chicken into pieces.
- Shred and serve. Serve the chicken and gravy over fluffy rice or creamy mashed potatoes and spoon as much gravy as you’d like over the top.
This easy, perfectly creamy crock pot chicken & gravy is delightful and filling when served over a hearty starch like Jasmine rice or Basmati rice or mashed potatoes, then garnished with a little chopped parsley or chives. It’s a hearty meal the whole family is going to enjoy!
💭 Tips & Recipe Notes
If preferred, you can use frozen chicken for this recipe!
- Be sure to increase the total cook time so the chicken is all the way cooked through! It may be extra important to use a meat thermometer here just to make sure the chicken has reached at least 165°F (74°C).
You can stir vegetables into the gravy too if you’d like!
- You can add fresh spinach, peas, green beans, or any vegetable you like to the crockpot within the last 30 minutes of cooking to help the veggies warm through, but not overcook!
Try not to use something that might water down the gravy, like frozen spinach!
- If you would like the gravy to be thinner, add 1 more cup of water/stock/milk before cooking!
- The gravy will still be creamy but will be a more of thinner gravy than thicker sauce.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Leftovers of my chicken & gravy will last in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days! I would store the chicken and gravy separately from whatever side you pair it with so that doesn’t get soggy.
Freezing some or all of this delicious, easy meal is a terrific way to have a fast, tasty dinner ready whenever you want it! Transfer the cooled chicken and sauce to an airtight container or freezer storage bag and use it within 3 months! Defrost in the fridge for best results.
Reheating Crock Pot Chicken & Gravy
I love to reheat these easy leftovers right in the microwave! Scoop portions of the chicken & gravy and whatever you’re serving it with and reheat for 1 minute on high power, then 30-second intervals until fully warmed through!
If you’re using frozen chicken & gravy and are making a fresh side to go with it, you can slowly warm up the chicken & gravy on the stove in a saucepan or skillet over medium-low heat until fully reheated. It should reach at least 165°F (74°C) before eating.
🐔 More Great Chicken Recipes
- Baked Chicken Quarters
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Baked BBQ Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Chicken Mandi
Your delicious chicken & gravy can be kept on the warming setting while you’re waiting to eat and during dinner, but it shouldn’t be kept out for too long! Once you’re done, leftovers should be fully cooled, then immediately refrigerated.
You can use whatever your preference is! I like to use an easy-to-access brand like McCormick, but you can use any brand you like.
It depends on what you’re looking for! Chicken breasts are the leaner, healthier option—but chicken thighs are moister and tend to have a stronger flavor. Depending on your preference and what you have access to, either works well! You could even use a mix of both for a blend of leanness and flavor!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Crock Pot Chicken & Gravy
- 3 lbs chicken (boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs)
- 22 oz condensed cream of chicken soup (family size)
- 2 packets chicken gravy mix
- 1 cup water (or chicken stock or milk)
- Remove chicken from packaging, rinse and pat dry then place into your crockpot.3 lbs chicken
- Add the cream of chicken soup, water, and the gravy packets. Give everything a good stir until well combined.22 oz condensed cream of chicken soup, 2 packets chicken gravy mix, 1 cup water
- Return cover and cook on the high setting for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, use an instant-read temperature probe and check that the chicken is at least 165°F (74°C), then remove the chicken pieces. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken into pieces, or chop the chicken if desired.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes. Spoon gravy on top. Enjoy!
- You can use frozen chicken, just be sure to increase the cook time.
- You can add other stir-ins to this recipe, like fresh or frozen veggies.
- For thinner gravy add 1 more cup of water.
- For a stronger flavor use chicken stock in place of water.
- For a creamier texture, use milk instead of water.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!