Best canned chicken recipes for when you're looking to save time in the kitchen yet want a tasty main course to serve for dinner! Packed with flavor and ready to use, this versatile pantry staple opens up a lot of possibilities for creating delectable dishes with minimal effort. From taquitos and tacos to casseroles and pot pies, you are sure to find a dish on this list that everyone will love!
Best Canned Chicken Recipes
A well-stocked pantry is a home cook's best friend, and canned chicken deserves a prime spot on your shelves! Since it's a versatile ingredient that's already cooked, it can be added to any dish that calls for shredded, pulled, or chopped chicken.
So say goodbye to lengthy cooking times and hello to the large potential of easy, quick, and delicious chicken dishes that canned chicken opens up! Whether you're in the mood for a delicious casserole or a comforting soup, this collection is full of the best canned chicken recipe ideas!
- Best Canned Chicken Recipes
- 1. Chicken Taquitos
- 2. Chicken Salad With Grapes
- 3. Chicken Enchiladas With Green Sauce
- 4. Chicken Bacon Risotto
- 5. Ritz Chicken Casserole
- 6. Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 7. Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 8. Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 9. Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- 10. Chicken Pot Pie
- 11. Bisquick Chicken And Dumplings
- 12. Caldo De Pollo Mexicano
- 13. Italian Chicken Pastina Soup
- 14. Creamy Chicken Minnesota Wild Rice Soup
- 15. Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- 16. Chicken Divan Bake
- 17. Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
- Tips For Cooking With Canned Chicken
- 🐔😋🍗 More Tasty Chicken Recipes
- 📋 Recipe
- Canned Chicken Recipes: Chicken Tater Tot Casserole (+ More Tasty Recipes To Try!)
- Ingredients US CustomaryMetric
- Equipment You May Need
- 💬 Comments
1. Chicken Taquitos
These chicken taquitos are incredibly easy to make and loaded with savory Mexican flavors. Top them off with some guacamole, salsa roja, or pico de Gallo, and you'll have a tasty meal that everyone will enjoy!
2. Chicken Salad With Grapes
If you're looking for a quick and delicious chicken salad that you can prepare in minutes, then this is the one for you! All you have to do is mix a handful of ingredients in one bowl, then serve it as is, or use it to make a tasty sandwich!
3. Chicken Enchiladas With Green Sauce
Another great Mexican-inspired dish to make with canned chicken is my chicken enchiladas with green sauce! They're full of tangy flavor and a great alternative for when you want to switch things up from traditional red sauce!
4. Chicken Bacon Risotto
This chicken bacon risotto dish adds a fun twist of Southern comfort food to your typical risotto. It's full of indulgent flavor from cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, and bacon, so no one will tell if you use canned chicken!
5. Ritz Chicken Casserole
If you're like me, then you love a delicious casserole that you can whip up in a pinch for busy weeknights. This Ritz chicken casserole is made with 7 simple ingredients that are all easy to find at the grocery store!
6. Buffalo Chicken Dip
This homemade buffalo chicken dip is the ultimate easy appetizer to bring to your next potluck or family gathering! All you have to do is drain and warm your canned chicken, heat the other ingredients, then stir to combine.
7. Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
This chicken broccoli rice casserole is an all-in-one meal that's ready on the table in just an hour! Each bite is loaded with cheesy, creamy goodness that is sure to satisfy anyone who tries it.
8. Shredded Chicken Tacos
If you have canned chicken on hand, you can easily prepare some delicious chicken tacos for family taco night! Simply toss it with my chicken taco seasoning, salsa, onions, and garlic, then add your favorite taco toppings on top!
>>>>See all of my recipes HERE<<<<
9. Chicken Stuffing Casserole
Chicken stuffing casserole is a flavorful combination of shredded chicken, veggies, stuffing, and creamy sauce! It's super filling and perfect for serving on cold days when you want a warm and comforting meal.
10. Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is another comforting chicken dinner to prepare with canned chicken! This recipe features an incredibly creamy chicken pot pie filling that's covered with a perfectly golden, flaky crust, all made from scratch!
11. Bisquick Chicken And Dumplings
If you've never made chicken and dumplings before, you're in for a real treat with this super simple recipe! It only requires 10 minutes of prep time and is packed with extra flavor from fresh herbs and sauteed vegetables.
12. Caldo De Pollo Mexicano
This Mexican chicken soup recipe is a true comfort food with chopped chicken, tender vegetables, and chicken bouillon. Don't worry. It's not very spicy (especially if you skip the jalapeno), so even your kids would enjoy this soup!
13. Italian Chicken Pastina Soup
Whenever you're feeling under the weather, this Italian chicken pastina soup is a wonderful way to rehydrate, as it's a broth-based soup with many nutrients! It's traditionally served during the cold winter months but can be enjoyed any time of the year.
14. Creamy Chicken Minnesota Wild Rice Soup
This amazingly tasty soup features Minnesota wild rice, cooked chicken, onion, celery, carrots, heavy cream, chicken stock, and fresh herbs! It's the perfect dish to make ahead of time, as the flavors will taste even better the next day.
15. Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
Chicken tater tot casserole is a quick and easy freezer-friendly meal that's practically effortless to make! It's prepared with common ingredients that you mostly like already have and is ready to serve in just 35 minutes!
16. Chicken Divan Bake
Chicken Divan casserole is another delicious main course dish to make on hectic nights! A mixture of chicken, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, white rice, broccoli, milk, and cheese is topped with Panko breadcrumbs, then baked to golden perfection!
17. Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
This easy recipe combines the traditional flavors of chicken pot pie with homemade cream biscuits to make an incredibly tasty casserole! The best part is that it's a one-dish meal, so you don't have to spend extra time making sides to go with.
Tips For Cooking With Canned Chicken
After you've chosen which recipe you want to make with canned chicken, it's time to prepare your canned chicken! Here are some easy tips and tricks to help you get started:
- Drain and shred: Most canned chicken is packed in water or broth, so it's essential to thoroughly drain the meat. Once drained, use a fork to shred the chicken into small pieces for even distribution in your recipes.
- Season to taste: Canned chicken is already cooked and seasoned to some extent but typically has a mild flavor. This allows you to experiment with your favorite seasonings, spices, or herbs and tailor the taste to your preferences!
- Pair with complementary ingredients: Since canned chicken is versatile, you can combine it with a variety of ingredients like vegetables, cheese, sauces, and grains. Try using your canned chicken in dishes like salads, casseroles, sandwiches, wraps, and pasta.
- Use in time-saving recipes: Canned chicken is an excellent ingredient to use in quick and easy meals for busy days. It can save you valuable time in the kitchen and is perfect for when you need some flavorful and satisfying without the lengthy cooking process.
- Check expiration dates: Although canned chicken has a long shelf-life, it's important to double-check the expiration date before use. Avoid using canned chicken that has any sign of rust, dents, or leakage.
Now that you have many delicious recipe ideas using canned chicken, you can keep your pantry stocked for busy days! Make sure to leave a comment down below if you try any of them out!
🐔😋🍗 More Tasty Chicken Recipes
- Pineapple Chicken - A delicious stir-fry that combines chicken thighs, pineapple, and veggies in a sweet and sour sauce!
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole - An easy family dinner with all of the traditional flavors of enchiladas!
- Million Dollar Chicken Casserole - A rich and satisfying chicken dinner that the whole family will love!
- Baked Panko Chicken - An incredibly flavorful and healthier alternative to fried chicken!
- Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs - This recipe is the easiest way to prepare juicy chicken thighs with just 4 ingredients!
- Honey Sesame Chicken - A crowd-favorite takeout dish that rivals any of your favorite restaurants!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Canned Chicken Recipes: Chicken Tater Tot Casserole (+ More Tasty Recipes To Try!)
- 21 oz cream of chicken condensed soup
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- 1 splash Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 3-4 cups chicken (cooked and cubed)
- 12-16 oz peas and carrots (thawed from frozen)
- 1½-2 cups cheddar cheese (grated, divided, or colby jack)
- 32 oz frozen tater tots
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish (or a large 3.5 to 3.75-quart casserole dish).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together 21 oz cream of chicken condensed soup, ½ cup milk, ¼ cup butter, ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, and the optional 1 splash Worcestershire sauce. Once combined, stir in 3-4 cups chicken, 12-16 oz peas and carrots, and 1 cup out of the 1½-2 cups cheddar cheese.21 oz cream of chicken condensed soup, ½ cup milk, ¼ cup butter, 1 splash Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon each, salt & pepper, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, 3-4 cups chicken, 12-16 oz peas and carrots, 1½-2 cups cheddar cheese, ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and top it with 32 oz frozen tater tots.32 oz frozen tater tots
- Bake in the preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 30-40 minutes, or until bubbling. Then, top each casserole with ½ cup of cheese and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the casseroles from the oven and let cool slightly before slicing and serving.
- This recipe will yield one 9x13 casserole which is 12 servings.
- Alternatively, you can make 2 8-inch casseroles that are 6 servings each. You can bake them both or freeze one for later! Or, you can cut the recipe in half to only make one 8x8 casserole.
- You can use any cooked chicken (even leftovers) that you may have! For an extra simple dish, I like to pick up some rotisserie chicken from the store or use canned chicken for a super budget-friendly meal.
- To store: Keep any leftovers stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days.
- To reheat: Reheat small portions in the microwave or large portions in the oven at 350°F (175°C), covered with foil that has been spritzed with non-stick cooking spray to prevent the cheese from sticking.
- To freeze: You can prepare your casserole completely, but instead of baking it go ahead and cover it and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To bake: Do not thaw your casserole. Instead, sprinkle it with ½ cup of cheese, cover it with foil spritzed with nonstick cooking spray, and then bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1½ hours. Take the foil off for the last 20 minutes to allow the tater tots to crisp up.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!