Tasty Caldo De Pollo Mexicano (Mexican Chicken Soup) is a flavorful comfort food chicken soup with chicken, vegetables, peppers, and cilantro! Add avocado and lime when serving for an absolutely delicious version of chicken soup that you will love!
Caldo De Pollo Mexicano Recipe
My family absolutely loves soup! All varieties, broth soups, cream soups, chicken, beef, seafood...you name it! This Mexican chicken soup is no exception!!
Caldo ( meaning 'broth' ) de Pollo ( meaning 'chicken' ) is a Mexican version of chicken soup that's a true delight and some serious comfort food! It's not spicy if your know your kids would object to that, but it is certainly tasty!
The best way to serve this soup is over rice, and while any white rice will work, I like to serve it over my Mexican rice. The flavors of both combine to make a delicious, hearty chicken soup!
How To Make Caldo De Pollo Mexicano
Start with boiling a whole chicken that has been cut into pieces, or use bone-in chicken thighs and legs in a large stockpot with 8 cups of water. The foam that will surface can be skimmed and discarded.
Once the foam has been skimmed, reduce the heat and simmer the chicken with onion, garlic, celery, and carrots for 30 minutes. Check the chicken for doneness after 30 minutes and remove the chicken to cool enough to handle or continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
When you remove the chicken to cool, add the zucchini ( or chayote ), jalapeno, and cilantro, shred the chicken, or cut it into bite-size pieces. Chicken legs are commonly left on the bone.
Return the chicken to the broth and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Remove any additional foam or fat that rises to the surface. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed ( I always start light on the salt, especially when using bouillon ).
Remove from heat and serve over rice that has been portioned into the serving bowls. Garnish with sliced avocados and lime wedges. If you have children that wouldn't want the jalapeno in the soup, it can be added as garnish if desired.
Warmed corn tortillas are also commonly eaten with this soup and are a great way to add to this wonderful soup's filling effect!
Caldo de Pollo Mexicano
- 4 lbs chicken (chopped - or use bone-in chicken thighs and legs)
- 8 cups water
- ½ Tbsp salt
- ½ medium white onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp garlic (chopped or minced)
- 3 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 cube Knorr chicken bouillon
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- 2 zucchini (halved lengthwise, then sliced)
- Place the chicken with water in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat until foam starts to form. Skim foam from the surface and discard it.
- Reduce heat and add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and bouillon cube. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check the chicken for doneness, remove and set aside to cool (to shred or dice into bite sized pieces, typically the legs are left on the bone).
- Add the zucchini, jalapeno and cilantro while the chicken cools enough to handle.
- Shred the cooled chicken, or dice into bite size pieces and return to the broth. Remove any additional foam or fat that rises to the surface.
- Simmer for an additional 10 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice that is portioned into your bowls. Garnish with sliced avocado and lime wedges.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!