My super easy to make Chicken Enchiladas are a go-to favorite of family meals! Tender pieces of chicken are rolled into my homemade flour tortillas, smothered in red enchilada sauce and topped with Monterey jack and cheddar cheeses!!
Easy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
I love to make my quick and easy chicken enchilada recipe, especially when I have cilantro lime chicken, homemade flour tortillas and enchilada sauce to make them with! This is a family favorite meal, so I make these all of the time!
I used to be able to use a rotisserie chicken, prior to moving to our small town in Minnesota, so now I cook up my own chicken for this meal. My favorite way to do that is to pan sear the chicken in a cilantro lime sauce. Yum! And perfectly suited for celebrating Cinco De Mayo!
How To Make Chicken Enchiladas
For the chicken, I use our cilantro lime chicken thighs recipe ( or breasts, just allow more cooking time ). Once done, let the chicken thighs cool so that you can shred them for adding to the enchiladas.
Once I have the chicken shredded, I combine the chicken with 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce, corn, green chiles, and handful more of the chopped cilantro. Mix it all together in a large bowl, then spoon out portions into the 8 large flour tortillas. *I do add black beans and/or diced tomatoes to the filling at times, depending on what I have on hand or if I want to make a batch and a half of enchiladas!
Wrap the tortillas and place them seam side down in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan ( metal or glass ). Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tops of the enchiladas, using the back of a spoon to spread evenly.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 ºF ( 175 ºC ) for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and top with the shredded cheeses. Return to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- 1 lb cilantro lime chicken thighs (see recipe, or use shredded cooked chicken meat)
- 1 bunch cilantro (chopped or blitzed with lime juice, reserve 1/2 for adding to the enchilada mixture and garnish)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (for frying the cilantro lime chicken)
- 1 portion enchilada sauce (see recipe, or use 1 large 28 oz can)
- 4 oz mild green chiles (canned, diced)
- 8 oz corn
- 8 large flour tortillas (see recipe, or use one package of 8 large tortillas)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
- Use my cilantro lime chicken thighs. Allow to cool when done, then shred the meat for enchilada filling.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken meat with green chiles, corn and a portion of the enchilada sauce. Stir to combine, then spoon equal amounts into the 8 large flour tortillas. Roll filled tortillas and place them seam side down in a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tops of the enchiladas, use a spoon to spread the sauce out evenly over all of the enchiladas.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes, then remove from oven to add the shredded cheeses. Cook an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheeses.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, avocado, or sliced olives if desired.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!