As a side dish, or a component to the meal, this Healthy Refried Black Beans recipe is a delicious part of any meal!! Regardless of whether you are looking to keep your calories low, eating around dietary restrictions, or just want to enjoy some tasty refried black beans...you will love this quick and easy version!
Healthy Refried Black Beans Recipe
Keep this dish quick by using canned black beans, or soak dry black beans overnight beforehand (which would need some extra cooking time before pan frying). Once cooked, serve and garnish with your favorite toppings.
*Omit the queso fresco for a vegan version.
Healthy Refried Black Beans
- 2 - 15.25 oz cans black beans (or 1 lb dry - soaked)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ large white onion (minced)
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro (+ more for garnish, if desired)
- ½ Tbsp taco seasoning mix
- ½ cup water
- queso fresco (optional garnish)
- green onion (chopped, optional garnish)
- Melt coconut oil at medium high heat in a large skillet or frying pan, then add minced onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add (drained and rinsed) black beans to the cooking onion and garlic, then add the chopped cilantro and taco seasoning mix. Stir ingredients together, then add water and continue to cook at medium high heat at a low boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!