If you're looking for what to serve with Quesadillas, this list of simple side dishes and easy entrees is the perfect place to start! Quesadillas can be an appetizer or a main course, so I'm here to help you find the most complimentary dish to serve alongside them no matter the occasion!
Tasty recipes to pair with any type of quesadilla at breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
A quesadilla is a popular Mexican dish that consists of tortillas, cheese, and other ingredients and is then fried on a griddle or stove. Traditionally, corn tortillas are used. However, flour tortillas can also be used.
Their versatility and ease of preparation makes them a frequent meal at our house. Whether you're eating a quesadilla as a snack or as your dinner, quesadillas can be made even more enjoyable when served with the right accompaniments!
- 1. Guacamole
- 2. Refried Black Beans
- 3. Cilantro Lime Rice
- 4. Corn Fries
- 5. Roasted Salsa Roja
- 6. Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- 7. Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 8. Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- 9. Mexican Street Corn
- 10. Ground Beef Mexican Casserole
- 11. Coctel de Camarones
- 12. Albondigas Soup
- 13. Rotel Dip
- 14. Stuffed Green Peppers
- 15. Salsa Verde
- 📋 Recipe
- What To Serve With Quesadillas: Mexican Cornbread Casserole (+More Great Recipes!)
- Ingredients US CustomaryMetric
- Equipment You May Need
Because you can load quesadillas up with various ingredients you should choose side dishes that will complement the fillings and round out all the flavors. Here is a round-up of all the best dishes you could serve with quesadillas!
Guacamole is such a tasty side dish that goes well with many other Mexican-inspired dishes. It doesn't matter if you use it as a topping for a quesadilla or dip your tortillas in it.
It also comes together quickly and easily with only a few simple ingredients. If you're tired of the usual guac, try my creamy guac or hatch chili guac!
2. Refried Black Beans
Refried black beans are satisfying and full of flavor. It's one of those easy foods you can prepare ahead of time and keep on hand for whenever you crave it!
So, if you're looking to cut back calories or follow a restricted diet, this wonderfully nutritious dish will keep you satisfied and wanting more.
3. Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro lime rice is a deliciously fresh way to enjoy white rice and it can be served with various entrees! The cilantro and lime gives the rice just the right amount of flavor without being overpowering.
What is so great about this dish is that you can make it in an Instant Pot, which makes everything simple and convenient, and you'll have your rice ready in a fraction of the time it normally takes!
4. Corn Fries
If you are craving a unique Mexican-inspired side dish, corn fries are the answer. Sweet corn, spices, cheese, and Mexican crema top crispy fries in this mouthwatering side dish.
These fries are so simple to make that you'll be in and out of the kitchen in no time at all and give you more time to enjoy this meal with your family. This is a must-have side dish that goes especially well with quesadillas!
5. Roasted Salsa Roja
We can't get enough of this homemade roasted salsa roja. It takes very little time to roast the vegetables and blend them down into this delicious salsa.
Depending on your preference, you can leave it coarse or blend it smooth. It works perfectly well for dipping or topping quesadillas because of its tangy and refreshing flavor.
6. Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
Quesadillas and Mexican-style rice are commonly paired at most Mexican restaurants. This rice is as easy to make as any rice, but it’s full of all the right spices and seasonings!
If you're a first-time cook, the term "restaurant-style" may sound intimidating, but we promise you that this dish is easy to cook and always turns out just right.
7. Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup is a comforting and flavorful dish. Whether you're feeling down or under the weather, this dish is sure to lift your spirits and make you feel content!
It goes well with a variety of other foods, particularly a crispy quesadilla. You can serve up this soup in a cup or a bowl depending on how hungry you are!
8. Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips are extremely addictive, and we can't get enough of them! Fortunately, this version is the healthier alternative when compared to the typical oil-fried tortilla chips.
You can dip them in guacamole, refried black beans, roasted salsa roja, or simply eat them salted. Either way, we guarantee you will keep coming back for more!
9. Mexican Street Corn
If you are craving an authentic Mexican snack in the summertime, then you need to try some elote, also known as Mexican street corn.
There are so many delicious ways to dress this up, most commonly it includes butter, chili powder, crema, and queso fresco. All you have to do is roast the corn and let your guests choose their own toppings!
10. Ground Beef Mexican Casserole
Ground beef Mexican casserole paired with some delicious quesadillas makes for an excellent and satisfying dinner. This casserole includes fluffy layers of cornbread that sandwich perfectly seasoned ground beef and melted cheese! Your family will ask you to cook this meal at least once a week because they will love it so much!
11. Coctel de Camarones
If you're looking for a flavorful, fresh, and easy appetizer look no further than this scrumptious Coctel de Camarones or Mexican shrimp cocktail! This shrimp cocktail features an amazing clam and tomato sauce much more impressive than the usual cocktail sauce.
This is one of our favorite Mexican appetizers, and it is a surefire method to please and surprise your guests because it is both fresh and savory. Plus, it just looks pretty when all put together!
12. Albondigas Soup
Albondigas soup, also known as Mexican meatball soup, is a rich and flavorful soup that the whole family will enjoy!
If you're looking for a hearty and warm side dish, this is it! Pair it with quesadilla for a filling a tasty meal.
13. Rotel Dip
You can whip up this dip in a matter of minutes, and the ingredients are simple and inexpensive if you're on a budget. You most likely already have the ingredients on hand!
Rotel dip is perhaps the simplest dip you can make! All you need to do is to combine the simple ingredients and let them melt together for a flavorful cheese dip that’s perfect for dunking tortilla chips or slices of quesadilla!
14. Stuffed Green Peppers
Stuffed green peppers are a delicious and nutritious main course that is perfect when served with quesadillas. After stuffing the peppers with meat and rice, they're slathered in a savory tomato sauce and roasted until they're tender.
A meal of stuffed peppers and quesadillas is guaranteed to leave everyone happy and full!
15. Salsa Verde
Fresh and light, with just the proper amount of lime, cilantro, and heat from the jalapeno, salsa verde is another great dip or topping for any Mexican-inspired meal! If you enjoy spicy foods as we do, you will enjoy salsa.
This tangy and spicy salsa is great with corn fries, air-fried tortilla chips, or a quesadilla slathered in it. It’s a nice change from traditional red salsas.
A Mexican-inspired dinner made with any of these amazing recipes will always be a crowd-pleaser. Best of all, most of the dishes we suggested are quite easy to make and are certain to be delicious and full of flavor!
Please leave us a comment if you decide to try any of the quesadilla pairings we suggested! We love hearing from you!
What To Serve With Quesadillas: Mexican Cornbread Casserole (+More Great Recipes!)
- 16 oz Jiffy Corn muffin mix ( 2 8-ounce boxes)
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 15 oz creamed corn (canned)
- 15 oz sweet corn (canned, drained or use 1 cup thawed frozen corn)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or see recipe)
- 15 oz RoTel diced tomatoes with green chilies (drained)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Jiffy corn muffin mix with the eggs and milk. Then, mix in the creamed corn and sweet corn. Transfer half of the corn mixture to a greased 9x13 baking dish.16 oz Jiffy Corn muffin mix, ⅔ cup milk, 2 large eggs, 15 oz creamed corn, 15 oz sweet corn
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown the ground beef. Add in 1 packet of taco seasoning (plus any water as indicated on the package), and simmer until the meat is fully cooked.1 lb ground beef, 1 packet taco seasoning
- Stir in the RoTel tomatoes and transfer the ground beef mixture to the baking dish. Top the ground beef with half the cheddar cheese (¾ cups). Then, add the remaining corn mixture.15 oz RoTel diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- Top the casserole with the remaining cheddar cheese and place it in the oven to bake at 350°F (175°C) for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes so that it may set before slicing into squares and serving. Top with your favorite taco toppings, if desired.
Equipment You May Need
- Topping ideas: shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, tomatoes, green onions, sliced black olives, a drizzle of taco sauce.
- If you don't have a casserole dish, you can bake this in a large cast-iron skillet.
- If you forgot to take your eggs out of the fridge so they can come to room temperature, place them in a bowl of lukewarm water for about 5 minutes.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think: