Apple banana bread, where the classic banana bread meets the sweet, tangy twist of apples. This recipe creates a moist, flavorful loaf that perfectly blends the richness of bananas with the tartness of apples. Ideal for cozy mornings, afternoon snacks, or a charming addition to your brunch table.
It’s hard not to think about hosting friends or family while making this delectable apple banana bread. With the sweet smell of brown sugar and butter wafting throughout your home, there will be no need to light a candle to emulate this amazing aroma!
Tender chunks of vanilla and cinnamon-coated apples dispersed throughout a moist loaf of banana bread are exactly what we all want to wake up to on these cold winter mornings.
There’s no better way to use those freckled bananas on the counter than turning them into a loaf that can be enjoyed with your morning coffee or wrapped up in lunch the next day.
This recipe mostly calls for standard baking ingredients, but you may need to take a trip to the store for some applesauce if you don't have it on hand. Before you head to the store, set out your butter and eggs so they can come to room temperature!
Cinnamon Vanilla Apples
- 2 tablespoons Butter - I like to use salted butter in most recipes unless otherwise noted.
- 2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar - Make sure to pack it in the measuring cup to get an accurate amount. Dark brown sugar has a stronger molasses flavor, so light brown is best here.
- 2 large Apples - I prefer Granny Smith apples, but you can use any firm and tart variety. These will need to be cored, peeled, and cut into ½-inch chunks.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract - I find pure vanilla extract wields the best flavor.
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon - Just enough to taste, but not overwhelm.
Apple Banana Bread
- ½ cup Butter - For the bread, the butter needs to be softened at room temperature.
- 1 cup Sugar - Just regular granulated sugar.
- 2 large Eggs - They should be at room temperature to make sure the bread bakes evenly.
- 2 medium Bananas - Browning bananas have the best flavor, so do not use fresh bananas here. These should be mashed up.
- ¼ cup Applesauce - Applesauce keeps the bread moist. There is no need for any fancy flavors; just the basic stuff will do.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract - If you don't have any, you could try a vanilla substitute.
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda - Make sure to use baking soda, not baking powder.
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cloves - If you only have whole cloves, use a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
- 1 pinch of Nutmeg - If you don't have nutmeg, it won't make or break this dish, but just a pinch really adds to the flavor profile.
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour - The most common type of white flour used in baking.
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 How To Make Banana Apple Bread
Don't let the long list of ingredients intimidate you; this recipe is rather easy if you've done any baking. You will need a skillet and a 9x13 loaf pan.
- Cook apples. First, heat a skillet over medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar, stirring occasionally. Once melted, add the cut-up chunks of 2 large apples and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Mix Batter & Bake
- Preheat. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), and use a small amount of butter and flour to coat the inside of a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix. Next, in a large mixing bowl, beat the ½ cup of softened butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, then add the 2 large eggs one at a time and mix with the creamed butter and sugar. Add the 2 medium mashed bananas and ¼ cup Applesauce and stir until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves, and a pinch of nutmeg. Add 2 cups of all-purpose flour and mix until just combined. Then, fold in the cinnamon vanilla apples.
- Bake. Transfer the batter to your prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to smooth the top of the loaf. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick, knife, or cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool. Finally, remove the loaf from your oven and allow it to cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan and transferring it to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
This recipe can be a sweet breakfast, dessert, or snack! If you're looking for something light to counteract a sweet slice of apple banana bread at breakfast time, try my easy avocado egg bake! Enjoy!
💭 Tips & Notes
- Handling Frozen Bananas: If using bananas that have been frozen, allow them to reach room temperature before incorporating them into the batter. This ensures a smooth, homogenous mixture and prevents the butter from seizing.
- Folding in Apples: When adding apples to the banana bread mixture, gently fold gently with a spoon or rubber spatula. Scoop from the center towards the outside of the bowl, rather than stirring in circles, to evenly disperse the apples.
- Selecting Apples: Choose firm apples for this recipe. Firm apples hold up well during cooking, adding a desirable texture and bite to the bread. Tart apples are ideal as they contribute a depth of flavor without losing their distinct taste in the final product.
- Cooling the Bread: Allow the bread to cool in the pan before removing it. This cooling period helps the bread release more easily from the pan. If necessary, run a metal spatula or butter knife along the edges of the pan to aid in removal.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Leftover banana apple bread can be placed in an airtight container and refrigerated for 3-4 days.
If you want to freeze some for later, wrap individual slices tightly in a double layer of foil, then place them in a freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.
Consume it within 2-3 months for the freshest flavor.
Frozen bread can be set out on the counter for 20- 30 minutes to thaw. If you are in a hurry, you may pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
>>>>See all of my recipes here<<<<
If you are a fan of the nuts traditionally added to banana bread, feel free to add them here. Add ½ cup of diced walnuts, almonds, or pecans to the batter when folding in the cinnamon apples.
Yes, if you don't have a large loaf pan, there are a few options. You may use 3 mini loaf pans or make muffins using a muffin pan. Alternatively, you could use two 9-inch round pans.
Remember that not only will you have to slice triangular portions when serving (like a pizza), but the layer of batter will be much thinner, thus requiring less baking time. Check your bread's doneness regularly as it bakes.
🍞 More Fruity Bread Recipes!
- Pineapple Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Streusel Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Blueberry Muffin Bread
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
Apple Banana Bread
Cinnamon Vanilla Apples
- Heat a skillet over medium heat to melt the 2 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoon light brown sugar, stirring occasionally. Once melted, add the chunks of 2 large apples and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and use butter and flour to coat the inside of a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened ½ cup butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy, then add the 2 large eggs one at a time and mix with the creamed butter and sugar. Add the mashed 2 medium bananas and ¼ cup applesauce and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, and 1 pinch nutmeg. Add the 2 cups all-purpose flour and mix until the batter is just combined. Fold in the cinnamon vanilla apples.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to smooth the top of the loaf. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick, knife, or cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf from your oven and allow to cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cover the apple banana bread with a square of aluminum foil if the loaf is darkening to 'browned' rather than 'golden'.
- Store any remaining apple banana bread wrapped in plastic cling film and placed into an airtight container in the refrigerator. Your bread will keep for up to 3-4 days refrigerated.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!