Double Chocolate Banana Bread – #Choctoberfest
Our best and favorite Double Chocolate Banana Bread is a decadent dessert-like breakfast or an anytime treat to satisfy your chocolate cravings! Since we always have overripe bananas on hand, we really enjoy cooking up new ways to use them creatively…and since it is #Choctoberfest this week we just had to pair some of our browned bananas with ALOT of chocolate!
In case you missed my Monday post announcing the kick off of our week long celebration of all things chocolate, you can read that post by clicking here. This year, over 70 bloggers have come together to share 200+ chocolate inspired recipes for you to enjoy (be sure to check them out at the bottom of this page)!
Even better, #Choctoberfest has been sponsored by some amazing companies that are making the week even sweeter! Don’t miss out on your chance to enter for a sweet $450 prize pack!
In the spirit of the week’s festivities we didn’t stop with just our chocolate-loaded banana bread. It is rich and divine on it’s own! But to top it off, we melted some fantastic chocolate sticks from Davis Chocolate (one of our #Choctoberfest sponsors) for a tasty ganache to spoon over the top of our best ever chocolate banana bread! And if you’re dying for even more chocolate yummiliciousness, make it a triple chocolate banana bread recipe by sprinkling some mini-chocolate chips over the shiny ganache. That’s exactly how we finished our chocolate banana bread, and it’s perfect!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter (melted, cooled)
- 4 bananas (4 medium or 3 large browned, overripe bananas)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp milk (room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and grease your loaf pan(s) or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- *To make two loaves, use the 8" x 4" smaller loaf pans and bake at 375 degrees F.
**To make one loaf, use a standard 9" x 5" loaf pan and bake at a reduced temperature of 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) to prevent scorching the crust of your double chocolate banana bread.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted, cooled butter with bananas and mash up the bananas. Add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder and sugar and stir to combine.
- Stir the unsweetened cocoa into your wet ingredients, then add the flour and stir until you have a somewhat thick and lumpy batter.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan(s) and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 45 minutes, if using the smaller loaf pans. Check the loaves by inserting a knife through the center of the loaf. You can have crumbs attached, but should not still have a batter appearance on the inserted knife.
- If you are using a larger loaf pan for one loaf of double chocolate banana bread, then bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 1 hour before checking your banana bread with an inserted knife. When baking a larger loaf, I start checking at the hour mark but the bake time runs about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove the loaves from the oven and allow to cool in the loaf pan(s) for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the chocolate banana bread loaves are cooled, heat the 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and matching 1/4 cup butter in a small microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments. Stir between each 30 second interval until your ganache is smooth and shiny. Spread or drizzle over your chocolate banana bread. Top by sprinkling (optional) mini chocolate chips over the ganache.
Check out all of the fabulous #Choctoberfest recipes that our friends are sharing!!
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!