When it comes to quick, easy, and tasty meals that will please the whole family, this Baked Spaghetti Casserole with Meatballs is definitely at the top of my list!
Depending on your time allowances, you can make the spaghetti sauce and/or meatballs from scratch or use ready made versions. Either way, it always works out fabulously!
So many nights, we find that we have very little time to get a nice dinner on the table for our family. Meals that can be made from leftovers are not only money and time-savers, but they also quickly become one of your ‘go-to’ recipes when even your pickiest of eaters can’t find anything to complain about (yay!).
We had many years of fighting to get our daughter, Lauren, to eat a whole meal that she didn’t pick apart and/or leave untouched. This casserole was one of the few acceptable meals that I could make that was effortless for us. Love it.
Our baked spaghetti casserole is so convenient that, as I mentioned above, you can use either from scratch or ready made spaghetti sauce and/or meatballs, but you can also use your leftovers from spaghetti dinner!
Whenever we make spaghetti, I like to coat my remaining noodles in the extra sauce. And when I’m really thinking ahead, I’ll take all of my leftover spaghetti and sauce and place them into a baking dish to cook up, topped with meatballs and lots of cheese, a night or two down the road.
Whatever way you end up making this casserole, it is sure to be a hit!
Recipe For Baked Spaghetti Casserole
Baked Spaghetti Casserole with Meatballs
- 18 meatballs fully cooked
- 24 oz spaghetti sauce (or marinara sauce)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp basil (fresh, paste, or dried basil)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (or Parmesan/Romano cheese blend)
- 1 8 oz spaghetti noodles (cooked-al dente, drained and rinsed)
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add diced yellow onion and minced garlic, saute 2-3 minutes until the onion is beginning to turn translucent and soften. Add spaghetti sauce (or marinara), basil, and Italian seasoning. Stir, then allow to reach a low simmer while you cook your pasta.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and grease or spray your casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place your cooked spaghetti noodles into the casserole dish and add 1/2 of the spaghetti sauce. Mix the noodles to coat with the sauce, then top the coated noodles with the remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Mix the Mozzarella and Parmesan (or blend) cheeses. Cover the sauce with 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Add the meatballs and then cover with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle the top with parsley or chopped basil (optional).
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling around the edges of your casserole dish. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!