Such a tasty version of a classic! The Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake Recipe - Mock Chicken Cordon Bleu will be an instant hit with all members of the family. It certainly is always a hit in our home, and a lot of the time we have something that really pleases the adults but leaves the kids unimpressed and/or vice versa. In addition to being appetizing to all of us, it is really quick to put together and get into the oven.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake Recipe
For this chicken cordon bleu casserole you will need chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), ham slices, shredded Swiss cheese, Ritz crackers, butter, grated Parmesan cheese, butter, and salt & pepper for seasoning.
Once the chicken is baking, you will need butter, flour, milk, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard for the sauce that is added as a topping when the dish is served.
To Make Your Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and grease or spray a non-stick coating on your baking dish, either a 9 x x13 baking pan or 1.5 qt casserole dish will work.
The bottom layer will be the chicken breast strips, mine fit perfectly, filling the entire bottom of my casserole dish.
Add the ham slices layered over the chicken, and then a layer of the shredded Swiss cheese.
For the cracker topping, crush crackers in packaging and then place into a medium size mixing bowl.
Add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and combine all of them together.
Melt half of the butter (3 Tbsp) and pour into the bowl, then stir the cracker mixture to coat all of the ingredients.
Place on top of the shredded cheese in your casserole dish then bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. The cracker crust topping should be a nice golden brown and the internal temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) which is the safe eating temperature for both white and dark meat.
To Make The Chicken Cordon Bleu Sauce
While your chicken cordon bleu bake is in the oven, prep your ingredients for making your sauce. You will need about 10 minutes for the sauce and it is best served immediately once the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Place a saucepan on medium heat, add the remaining butter portion (3 Tbsp) and melt slowly while the saucepan comes to a medium temperature.
Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour and cook for about a minute then slowly stir in the chicken broth and milk (optional, I added a pinch of salt & pepper at this point).
The sauce will thicken once it comes back up to a medium temperature (about 5 minutes - and it may thicken quickly) so be sure to keep whisking during the cooking process so you don't burn the butter flour mix (aka roux).
Once the sauce has thickened to a gravy-like consistency, turn off the heat and stir in the Dijon mustard and the Worcestershire sauce.
Now, spoon your sauce over the chicken cordon bleu casserole and serve.
You Might Also Like These Other Chicken Entrees...
Chicken Divan Bake
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Balsamic Vinegar Chicken Thighs
Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
Easy Oven Barbecue Chicken with Honey Chipotle Sauce
Maple Bacon Dijon Chicken Breasts
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake Recipe - Mock Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless cut into halves or quarters lengthwise)
- 12 slices ham
- 1 ½ c (150 g) Swiss cheese (shredded)
- 1 ½ c Ritz crackers (1 packaged tube, crushed)
- 6 Tbsp (84 g) butter (reserve half, 3 Tbsp, for the sauce)
- 3 Tbsp (22.5 g) Parmesan cheese (grated)
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¼ tsp (0.5 g) papper
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and grease or use a non-stick spray to coat the bottom and sides of a 9 x13 baking sheet or 1.5 qt casserole dish.
- Layer chicken breast strips over the bottom of the baking dish, top with a layer of ham then a layer of the shredded Swiss cheese.
- Crush the Ritz crackers in their packaging and then place in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, stir to combine. Melt the first ½ of the butter (3 Tbsp) and pour onto the cracker mixture, then stir again to coat the ingredients.
- Top the layered chicken, ham and Swiss cheese with the buttered cracker mixture and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35-40 minutes or until the top cracker layer is golden brown and the chicken has an internal temperature that meets or exceeds 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- In a saucepan, add the remaining half of butter (3 Tbsp) and melt slowly while the pan comes to a medium heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour and cook for about a minute before slowly whisking in the chicken broth and milk (I added salt & pepper at this point which is optional but recommended).
- Continue to whisk for the remaining cooking time (about 5 minutes) as the sauce will thicken rapidly once it gets back to a medium temperature. Turn the heat off once the sauce has thickened and add the Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard then serve over Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake. Enjoy!
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!