Super easy, healthy sweet potatoes are a delicious and versatile side dish that bakes to fluffy perfection in your oven! Serve them sweet or savory—it’s up to you! However you decide to make them, they’re certain to be amazing!
Baked sweet potatoes are fluffy, tender, and delicious to eat!
I love a classic, baked sweet potato! They’re soft, fluffy, and perfectly sweet. Sweet potatoes are super versatile too!
They can pair with nearly any main course and can be eaten on their own, stuffed with a variety of toppings—or served with almost any main course.
Baking sweet potatoes takes a little bit of time, but it’s so hands-off you won’t even notice! Prepping the sweet potatoes takes about 5 minutes, then pop them in your oven to roast while you prep the rest of dinner!
You can also make baked sweet potatoes ahead of time and freeze for later! Meal prep by freezing the whole, cooked sweet potatoes so that they’re ready to go whenever you need them!
Not only can you reheat the whole sweet potatoes as is—you can use the insides to make mashed sweet potatoes, sweet potato shepherd’s pie, sweet potato casserole, and so much more!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
A Healthy Alternative! Baked sweet potatoes are widely considered a healthier alternative to a regular baked potato! They’re packed full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and healthy carbs.
Perfectly Cooked! Use my instructions and tips to make perfectly cooked sweet potatoes every time! They’ll be super soft and fluffy on the inside and crisp outside.
Super Versatile! Sweet potatoes can be topped with nearly anything! Sweet, savory, you name it!
Healthy baked sweet potatoes are one of the easiest, most satisfying side dishes you can make. There’s just one main ingredient!
- 3 medium Sweet Potatoes – Each sweet potato should be about 5 to 6 ounces each. You also need to scrub them clean of any dirt and remove any fibrous strings.
- Salt & Pepper – Add these to taste once your sweet potatoes are baked!
- Butter – An optional topping. You can add any of your favorite toppings to these sweet potatoes.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
There are so many different toppings you can add! Pick your favorite flavor or try them all!
- For a classic sweet topping, try a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon with a pat of butter. You can even add mini marshmallows!
- For a less traditional savory topping, try it loaded baked potato style with sour cream, chives, and cheddar cheese!
- You can also fill with black beans, cheese, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream for an amazing filled baked sweet potato that’s incredibly hearty and delicious!
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
Oven-baked sweet potatoes are just so easy! It only takes 3 steps to transform them into a versatile side dish that anyone can enjoy.
- Prep. Start by preheating the oven to 425°F (218°C) and line your baking sheet or pan with aluminum foil if desired. I recommend this, as the sugars the sweet potatoes release will burn. Next, scrub 3 medium sweet potatoes clean of any dirt and remove any fibers from the outside of the potatoes.
- Bake until soft. Next, place the cleaned sweet potatoes onto your prepared baking sheet and pierce the skin of each sweet potato with a fork 5 to 6 times. Put the pan in the oven and bake at 425°F (218°C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Finish and serve. Remove the finished sweet potatoes from the oven and allow your baked sweet potatoes to cool slightly. Next, using a knife, cut a slit down the top of the center of each potato to serve. Then, use a fork to fluff the interior of the sweet potato. Serve with salt, pepper, and butter or any of your favorite toppings.
Tasty sweet potatoes are also delicious on their own! They're particularly wonderful when served the sweet way, slathered in butter and brown sugar! Enjoy!
💭 Tips & Recipe Notes
- To ensure the sweet potatoes are perfectly cooked throughout, I recommend rotating them once during cooking! Rotate the sweet potatoes 180 degrees after 25 minutes of cooking time. Make sure to use tongs or a large fork to turn the sweet potatoes—they’ll be very hot!
- You can season the whole sweet potato ahead of time to give extra flavor! Coat each sweet potato with olive oil and season with salt and pepper before baking. This will also make the skin of the sweet potato crispy and delicious!
- The sweet potatoes will be completely done when fork tender! Use a fork or knife to pierce the middle - the interior should have no resistance and should be super soft.
- Remove fibers and strings to make the sweet potato easier to eat! I like to remove all the fibers that may not be trimmed on the outside. Additionally, you can trim off the ends of the sweet potato before baking to remove the stringy fibers that are at the ends, which can be annoying to eat!
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Leftover baked sweet potatoes can be kept in your fridge for 3 to 5 days before they start to lose their quality. You want to be sure to store the sweet potatoes in an airtight container or storage bag.
Also, note that you need to make sure you store the baked sweet potatoes within two hours of making them—they can spoil easily.
You can also freeze baked sweet potatoes! This way you’ll have a delicious, tender baked sweet potato whenever the mood strikes!
Place the cooled, baked sweet potatoes (unopened) into a storage container or heavy-duty freezer bags and freeze for up to a year!
My favorite way to reheat a sweet potato is in the oven! Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C). If using frozen sweet potatoes, make sure they’re defrosted first.
Then, put the sweet potatoes into a baking dish covered with foil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until fully reheated, then serve!
🍠 What To Serve With Sweet Potatoes
Absolutely, you can! Your sweet potatoes are not only delicious inside once baked, but the skin is quite tasty too! If you choose to coat the sweet potatoes with olive oil and seasoning, the skin will be a little crispy and extra delicious!
Yes! Sweet potatoes are lower in carbs than regular sweet potatoes. They’re also full of a lot of vitamins and minerals that regular baked potatoes just aren’t! Sweet potatoes are chock full of vitamins A & C, plus loads of fiber. That makes them a side dish you can feel really great about eating!
Depending on the sweet potato, sometimes they can take a while to fully cook! The cooking times listed on this recipe are good approximations, but each oven is different, so you should bake until the sweet potatoes are absolutely fork tender. You don’t want the interior to be undercooked on the inside!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (5-6 ounces each, cleaned)
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- butter (optional, or use your favorite toppings)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C) and line your baking sheet or pan with aluminum foil if desired (for easy cleanup).
- Place the cleaned sweet potatoes onto your prepared baking sheet and pierce the skin with a fork 5-6 times. Bake at 425°F (218°C) for 45-50 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.3 medium sweet potatoes
- Remove from the oven and allow your baked sweet potatoes to cool slightly before cutting a slit down the top of the center of each potato to serve. Fluff the sweet potato, and serve with salt, pepper, and butter or your favorite toppings.each, salt & pepper, butter
- Optionally, you can coat the sweet potato skin with olive oil and season the whole sweet potato with salt & pepper.
- For perfect oven baked sweet potatoes that are fluffy throughout, you may wish to rotate the pan 180 degrees after 25 minutes of cooking time.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!