For what to serve with sweet potatoes look no further than this list of amazingly tasty main courses and complementary side dishes! These recipes are suitable for special occasions, holidays, or a casual family dinner. Whether you are making sweet or savory sweet potatoes, these tasty recipes will be a perfect match!
Recipes That Complement Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are such versatile root vegetables. They can be sweet or they can be savory, and they are a healthier alternative to classic potatoes!
If you are trying to build your menu around sweet potatoes or you are looking for some complementary side dishes, you are in the right place. The recipes featured below all fit the bill perfectly!
- Recipes That Complement Sweet Potatoes
- Main Dishes
- 1. Honey Glazed Ham
- 2. Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- 3. Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- 4. Smoked Leg of Lamb
- 5. Chicken Schnitzel
- 6. Grilled Ribeye
- 7. Air Fryer Salmon
- 8. Bag Roasted Chicken
- 9. Pork Shoulder Butt Roast
- 10. Lemon Butter Baked Cod
- 11. Mushroom Risotto
- Complementary Veggie Sides
- 12. Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 13. Zucchini Squash Casserole
- 14. Pan Seared Brussel Sprouts
- 15. Garlic Green Beans
- 16. Jiffy Corn Casserole
- 17. Buttered Peas & Carrots
- 🍠 Sweet Potato Recipes To Try
- 📋 Recipe
These entrees are even more delicious with a side of sweet potatoes. From meaty main courses to hearty vegetarian dishes, there's something for everyone here!
Check out all of my savory sweet potato recipes for more delicious ways to cook up this amazingly versatile starch!
1. Honey Glazed Ham
A roasted ham is a perfect choice for any holiday main course. The sweet honey glaze complements the sweetness of sweet potatoes!
2. Shake and Bake Pork Chops
These easy shake-and-bake pork chops are a favorite family dinner! They are ready to eat in just 30 minutes and will pair with sweet or savory sweet potatoes.
3. Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
What's not to love about a juicy pork tenderloin wrapped in crispy bacon? It's even better when you can make it in under 30 minutes with your air fryer!
4. Smoked Leg of Lamb
A juicy and flavorful smoked leg of lamb always leaves a lasting impression. The smoky and herbaceous flavor pairs wonderfully with sweet potatoes whether they are savory or sweet!
5. Chicken Schnitzel
These crispy chicken cutlets come together in a snap and are loved by kids and adults alike! A side of sweet potatoes is all you need to turn them into a quality meal.
6. Grilled Ribeye
Everyone loves a juicy steak dinner. Get your family together and fire up the grill because a ribeye steak and baked sweet potato should be on the menu at any cookout!
7. Air Fryer Salmon
You can have a delicious salmon dinner on the table in no time at all with your air fryer! Add a side of sweet potatoes and you have an easy and nutritious dinner.
Wondering what the difference is between yams vs sweet potatoes? I'll tell you all of the ways to tell them apart here!
8. Bag Roasted Chicken
You can make a succulent whole roasted chicken with ease by using this bag-roasting method! It makes for a stunning and delicious main course that, of course, pairs fabulously with sweet potato.
9. Pork Shoulder Butt Roast
A deliciously juicy pork shoulder butt roast is the perfect main course for pleasing a crowd. It only takes about 5 minutes of prep time, then you just pop it in the oven while you focus on your side dishes!
10. Lemon Butter Baked Cod
Not only is this lemon butter cod healthy, but it is super tasty, too! The flaky and mildly sweet meat of this white fish will pair wonderfully with sweet potato.
11. Mushroom Risotto
This risotto is a creamy and flavorful vegetarian main course that will pair wonderfully with sweet potato. A baked sweet potato would make this risotto into a well-rounded and filling meal!
Complementary Veggie Sides
If you already have the main course in mind, these side dishes will help complete your menu! Having multiple sides is always ideal, so try any of these recipes to round out your meal in addition to the sweet potatoes.
12. Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
This recipe is an easy way to dress up a classic vegetable side dish. Bacon-wrapped asparagus is suitable for any occasion, whether it's a formal get-together or something more casual.
13. Zucchini Squash Casserole
A warm, creamy, cheesy zucchini squash casserole is an inviting side dish that everyone will enjoy. It's a nice contrast to the sweetness of sweet potatoes, and the crunchy Panko topping is downright delicious!
14. Pan Seared Brussel Sprouts
Brussel sprouts are another vegetable that pairs well with any main course (as well as sweet potatoes)! The slight caramelization of the brussel sprouts adds plenty of flavor and a nice crispy exterior.
15. Garlic Green Beans
These pan-fried garlic green beans with crispy bacon will add color and flavor to your dinner spread! Carbs are covered by the sweet potatoes, so it is a nice way to get some veggies on the table.
16. Jiffy Corn Casserole
If you are looking to make a meal full of comfort foods, this Jiffy corn casserole is the way to go. This soft cornbread full of creamy corn is always a hit during the holidays!
17. Buttered Peas & Carrots
Not only are buttered peas & carrots delicious, but they are incredibly easy to make! If you have time restraints, you can even whip them up in the microwave.
🍠 Sweet Potato Recipes To Try
- Pan Fried Sweet Potatoes - Perfectly tender sweet potatoes with a crispy sear on the outside!
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Onions - Oven-roasted sweet potatoes and onions are a savory side dish that goes with anything!
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes - Rich and creamy, these buttery mashed sweet potatoes have just a touch of sweetness!
- Sweet Potato Sushi - This unique vegetarian sushi will impress your friends and family!
- Baked Sweet Potatoes - Whip up some fluffy baked sweet potatoes in your oven and fill them with your favorite toppings!
- Sweet Potato Tart - A decadent tart full of creamy sweet potato filling and topped off with toasted marshmallow meringue!
I hope I have helped you decide what to serve with sweet potatoes! Let me know which recipes you chose by commenting below!
What To Serve With Sweet Potatoes: Microwave Baked Sweet Potatoes (+What To Serve With Them!)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- To prepare your sweet potato, make sure to wash it and dry it thoroughly. Then, use a fork to pierce several places on the potato.1 medium sweet potato
- Place your sweet potato on a paper towel-lined plate and put it in the microwave. Heat it on high for 3 minutes, then rotate it to the other side and heat for another 2 minutes (*see note).
- Carefully remove the sweet potato from the microwave (it will be hot!) Allow it to rest for 2 minutes.
- Slice down the middle and serve with a pat of butter, if desired.1 tablespoon butter
- Large sweet potatoes will take longer to cook until tender, add cooking time in 1 minute increments until the sweet potato softens.
- You'll know your sweet potato is ready when you can easily pierce it with a fork!
- You can add any of your favorite toppings to your sweet potato (or just enjoy it plain!) For a savory sweet potato, I enjoy adding salt, pepper, and butter. For a sweeter side, I like to add brown sugar, cinnamon, and honey butter!
- To store: If you have any, place your leftovers into a sealed container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To reheat: Heat your leftover sweet potatoes on medium power in the microwave, you can also make your leftovers into some tasty mashed sweet potatoes!
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!