These fantastically flavorful Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp are super crunchy thanks to a coconut and Panko breading! They’re incredibly delicious and an amazing appetizer to have when entertaining or just whenever the craving for a crispy shrimp snack hits you!
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe
I always think of these crazy delicious air fryer coconut shrimp as only an appetizer or snack, but my husband likes to point out that they would definitely work as a main dish for lunch or dinner! He’s a seafood fanatic, so I guess this should come as no surprise!
This is an extremely easy to make air fryer shrimp appetizer recipe, that everyone always enjoys! You might think that cooking shrimp in the air fryer would result in chewy, overcooked shrimp but they turn out perfectly!
So the whole family agrees that this restaurant quality appetizer needs to be served much more often. They’re completely hooked on the crispy, crunchy coconut breading with the tender shrimp and a delightful dipping sauce!
How To Make Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
air fryer frozen shrimp
Start your coconut shrimp out by setting up the dredging station. You will need two bowls or shallow dishes. One with the two large eggs beaten until smooth. The other with the breading mixture, including Panko bread crumbs, shredded unsweetened coconut, all-purpose flour, and seasoning: salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
First, coat the peeled and de-veined raw shrimp (thawed first, if using frozen shrimp) in the egg mixture.
Next, move the egg coated shrimp to the breading mixture bowl or dish and coat well. Press the breading firmly onto all sides of your shrimp.
Once breaded, place the coconut shrimp on your air fryer racks or basket that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the coated shrimp so that there is spacing between each shrimp, and they are not crowded.
Preheat your air fryer to 400 ºF ( 205 ºC ), place the drip pan on the bottom of your air fryer, and set your Instant Pot Vortex Plus to 12 minutes. Preheat a basket air fryer to the same temperature.
If using a Vortex Plus, the indicator will change to ‘add food‘. Place your trays in the air fryer and let it continue the cycle. Once it indicates to ‘turn food‘ switch the tray positions from top to bottom, and vice versa, then continue the cook cycle.
For a basket style air fryer, place the basket in your preheated air fryer and set the timer for 12 minutes. You will need to flip the shrimp at the half way point. Cook your shrimp in batches, as needed.
For both, once the 12 minute cook time is done remove the shrimp and serve.
To make my quick cocktail sauce, combine all ingredients (ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and Tabasco sauce) in a small bowl. Taste and adjust to your liking, then refrigerate to chill the sauce before serving. Enjoy!!
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- 2 lbs jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined, optional to remove tail)
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp horseradish
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (to taste)
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Set your dredging station up: Add eggs to one small bowl or shallow dish and beat he eggs until well combined. In a second bowl or shallow dish, combine the Panko breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, flour and seasoning (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder).
- Coat your peeled and de-veined thawed (if frozen) shrimp first in the beaten egg, then in the coconut breading mixture. Press the crumb mixture firmly onto all sides of your coated shrimp. Place breaded shrimp onto your air fryer racks (or basket) that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, leaving space between the shrimp so that they are not crowded.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C), place the drip pan in the bottom of the air fryer cooking chamber, and set your Instant Pot Vortex Plus to 12 minutes.
- Your Vortex Plus will indicate when you are to add food, set your trays in the air fryer and cook until it indicates to turn food. Switch tray positions and continue to cook until the timer is complete. Remove shrimp and serve with dipping sauce.
- For a basket air fryer, once your air fryer is preheated add the shrimp and cook in batches. Cook for 12 minutes, turning at the half way point. Remove the shrimp when done and serve.
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, horseradish, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, a dash of Tabasco sauce, and the juice from a squeezed lemon half. Taste and adjust as needed, then refrigerate to chill before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!