Deliciously plump and tender Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp is easy to serve up straight out of the freezer then onto your table in 10 minutes! Cooking times are also noted for fresh shrimp, cooked frozen shrimp, and breaded frozen shrimp so you can have your fave cooked up in no time!
This super simple shrimp is perfect for your shrimp cocktails and more!!
Keep this super easy shrimp recipe clean as you see here, which makes the perfect shrimp cocktails. Or coat with some tasty seasoning blends shared below in my variations!
Toss this perfectly cooked shrimp with some pasta, or just grab some tasty seafood dipping sauce and enjoy a healthy snack!
Only 3 ingredients are needed for this super-fast shrimp! The shrimp turn out delightfully tender and tasty on their own, so you don't need much else!
- Shrimp - Although this recipe is for raw frozen shrimp you can definitely air fry up some breaded, cooked, or thawed, raw shrimp. Take a look at my recipe notes!
- Coconut Oil - Or use your favorite cooking oil. I use a small manual pump spray bottle, or brush my air fryer basket with oil directly using a pastry brush (or simply grab a paper towel or napkin).
- Sea Salt - Sea salt really works with seafood, but you can use whatever salt or seasonings you like. Check out my variations for some ideas.
- Lemon Wedges - (optional) Lemon wedges, lemon juice, or a dipping sauce that includes lemon just go hand-in-hand with shrimp (and seafood in general)!
- Cocktail Sauce - (optional) Serve with your favorite cocktail sauce if desired.
Cajun - Drizzle the cooked shrimp with some olive oil, then add some of my Cajun seasoning and toss the shrimp until well coated. Yummy!
Dynamite - Use my amazing dynamite (bang bang) sauce to toss the shrimp with! Creamy, tangy goodness!
Lemon Pepper - Use the zest and juice from a lemon to toss the cooked shrimp in, and season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
💭 Tips & Recipe Notes
Oil your air fryer basket or trays using spray oil or a pastry brush to lightly coat the air fryer basket or trays to prevent the shrimp from sticking.
Be sure to NOT use the aerosolized non-stick cooking sprays. This type of spray oil damages the air fryer coating.
No need to thaw your frozen shrimp!
The primary directions here are for cooking raw frozen shrimp.
Make sure to leave room for the air to circulate (without crowding your shrimp).
For the best results and evenly cooked shrimp, be sure to arrange them in a single layer (as much as possible, some minor overlapping is OK) in the basket or tray.
Air fryers vary greatly from model to model and some will cook much hotter than others.
All cooking times are approximate and may vary slightly based upon your particular air fryer model.
Dipping sauces like my drawn butter or bloves sauce make this simple shrimp the perfect appetizer or snack! Make it a filling seafood meal by serving up some smoked salmon fettuccine Alfredo as the main course after your shrimp!
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
This easy air fryer recipe couldn't be simpler! I know a lot of frozen foods cook up crispy and delicious in an air fryer, but I had my concerns when starting these tender shrimp!!
- Prepare. For the best shrimp, do start out with preheating your air fryer to 400°F (204°C). Lightly oil your air fryer basket or trays using spray or a pastry brush to apply the cooking oil.
- Transfer. Open the bag of frozen shrimp and transfer them into your air fryer basket or trays. Knock off any big pieces of ice.
- Spread in a single layer. Arrange shrimp in a single even layer in your basket or on the rack (depending on your model). Be sure that the shrimp are not too crowded or overlapped too much (a bit is OK).
- Air fry. Cook at 400°F (204°C) for approximately 4-5 minutes, then remove the basket or trays and use a pair of kitchen tongs or fork to turn over all the shrimp.
- Finish cooking. Return the basket or tray(s) to your air fryer and continue cooking at 400°F (204°C) for another 4-5 minutes. If not cooked through add 1-2 minutes.
- Cool and serve. Once the shrimp are fully cooked, remove the basket or trays carefully (it's hot!) and allow to cool slightly before serving.
So, even though MY shrimp had come straight out of the chest freezer (deep freeze!) you can see that they turned out beautifully! They are absolutely tasty and a real popular treat here these days! Enjoy!
⏲️ Cooking Times
All cooking times are estimates. However, in general, your air fryer shrimp should be done when cooked at the suggested temps and times given in the chart below.
|Type of Shrimp||Cooking Time|
|Frozen, Cooked Shrimp||5 minutes|
|Frozen, Raw Shrimp||10 minutes|
|Frozen, Breaded Shrimp||10 minutes|
|Fresh, Raw Shrimp||5 minutes|
Add up to 2-4 minutes of cooking time if your frozen shrimp was stored in a chest freezer.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Allow your air fryer shrimp to cool completely, then transfer it to a shallow airtight container. Your leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days maximum in an airtight container.
While I don't recommend refreezing cooked shrimp (that was previously frozen) due to the texture and flavor loss, it can be done! Cooked shrimp should be fully cooled to room temperature, then spread out evenly on a baking sheet.
Place the baking sheet with the shrimp into the COLDEST section of your freezer and allow the shrimp to freeze. The shrimp should be fully frozen in under an hour, at this point transfer them to a freezer-safe storage container or plastic freezer bag.
The best way to reheat your air fryer shrimp is...in the air fryer! Preheat your air fryer to 300°F (149°C) then spread the shrimp in an even layer in your lightly oiled air fryer basket. Heat for 2 minutes, then flip the shrimp and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until warmed to your satisfaction.
Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp
- 1 lbs frozen shrimp
- 1 tsp coconut oil (spray bottle or drizzled)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2-4 lemon wedges (optional)
- cocktail sauce (optional)
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (205°C). Lightly coat your air fryer with cooking oil.1 tsp coconut oil
- Add the frozen shrimp directly from the bag to the air fryer basket or rack.1 lbs frozen shrimp
- Arrange the shrimp in a single layer.
- Cook the shrimp at 400°F (205°C) for about 4-5 minutes, then open your air fryer and flip the shrimp over.
- Continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes. Check to see if the shrimp are fully cooked, if not return to your air fryer for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from air fryer carefully and allow to cool slightly. Season to taste with salt, serve with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce if desired.1 tsp sea salt, 2-4 lemon wedges, cocktail sauce
Equipment You May Need
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!