Hearty Oven Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Smoked Sausage and Broccoli is certainly qualified to stand as a meal on its own! Loaded with cheeses, that are combined with sausage and broccoli, this mac n cheese is satisfying and unbelievably creamy!
Oven Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This oven baked macaroni is one of our family favorites! The cream cheese kicks it up a notch and just makes it so fantastic that you will have a hard time saving leftovers to make some incredible breaded mac and cheese bites…
Get started by following the directions on your elbow macaroni packaging to cook the macaroni, then drain and rinse the noodles.
Cook the broccoli, then set both the noodles and broccoli aside.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and butter or grease a 1.5 quart casserole dish.
The elbow macaroni, broccoli, and sliced smoked sausage can be combined in the casserole dish at any time while the sauce is cooking on the stove top.
Make the Cheese Sauce…
In a medium saucepan at medium heat, melt the stick of butter and then add the heavy cream, milk, and sliced cream cheese.
Add the seasoning including salt, pepper, and garlic powder then keep the cream mixture moving by stirring frequently while it warms.
Once the cream mixture is heated, whisk all of the ingredients together to break up any remaining chunks of cream cheese (a few remaining small pieces won’t hurt anything).
Stir in the farmhouse cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, and remove from heat.
Combine and Bake the Macaroni and Cheese…
Pour the cheese sauce over the combined elbow macaroni, sliced smoked sausage, and broccoli in the casserole dish.
Stir to distribute all of the ingredients throughout the noodles.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika, then sprinkle evenly over the macaroni and cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), covered, for 35 minutes.
Remove from the oven when the breadcrumb topping is lightly golden, and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Oven Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Smoked Sausage and Broccoli
- 2 c elbow macaroni (cooked, rinsed, and drained)
- 1/2 c butter (1 stick)
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 c milk
- 4 oz cream cheese (1/2 the standard 8 oz package size, sliced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 c farmhouse cheddar (or regular cheddar)
- 1 c mozzarella cheese (or monterey jack)
- 1 1/2 c smoked sausage (sliced)
- 1 1/2 c broccoli (cooked)
- 1/2 c breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Cook your elbow macaroni per boxed instructions then drain, rinse, and set aside. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and butter or grease a 1.5 qt casserole dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the stick of butter then add the heavy cream, milk, and cream cheese. Add seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and keep the liquids moving while they heat up enough to start melting the cream cheese.
- Once the cream mixture is heated up and the cream cheese is breaking down into smaller portions, whisk the contents until fairly smooth and add the farmhouse cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Stir in the additional cheese and remove from heat.
- In your casserole dish, combine the cooked elbow macaroni, cooked broccoli, and sliced smoked sausage then pour the cheese mixture over them. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine your breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika then sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Cover and bake in your preheated oven at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!