We love tasty treats like these Mexican Corn Fritters! They're easy to make and loaded with great flavors! Even better, you don't need to wait for summer and fresh shucked corn to enjoy them...frozen corn works almost as well 😉
Mexican Corn Fritter Recipe
Note that I am looking out the window at freshly plowed fields, now bare where there had been lovely rows of fresh corn!
In our middle-of-nowhere place here in Minnesota, the neighboring farmers rotate their crops between corn and soybean. I don't know why, but rolling fields full of corn just speak 'Americana' to me. However, what is grown all around us is NOT sweet corn. So, when our super sweet neighbors show up to share their bountiful corn, you have to plan to make something that can be spiced up easily!
Which leads to these super easy pan-fried corn fritters.
Add the fact that we love the flavors of Mexican food and you get these fritters that are perfect as part of a meal or on their own as an appetizer!
Mexican Corn Fritters
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream (or half-and-half)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno (finely diced - or use (canned) chopped green chiles)
- 3 cups corn (fresh cut kernels or frozen)
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- green onion or cilantro (chopped, for garnish - optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients and seasoning in a large mixing bowl (flour, baking powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika). Add in the eggs and heavy cream. Stir to combine, forming a batter.
- Add the diced jalapeno and corn, season with salt and pepper (to taste) and stir to combine.
- Heat a large frying pan or skillet with a thin layer of vegetable oil to medium high heat. Scoop portions of the corn fritter batter and pour into a mound in the frying pan, then spread gently until you have a flat circular patty shaped fritter.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked completely through. Remove from the pan when cooked, and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Continue cooking fritters in batches until all of the batter is used.
- Top the Mexican Corn Fritters with some salt and optional green onion or cilantro, then serve with sour cream.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!