My Ground Beef Stroganoff is an easy, quick and tasty recipe done in less than 30 minutes! Filled with browned ground beef, sour cream,mushrooms(optional) and served over delicious buttered egg noodles.
You can opt for lean ground beef, but I do think the flavor with ground chuck is the best…making it totally worth the bit more fat I have to drain off after browning the ground beef.
However, if you are looking for a leaner version definitely go with the lean ground beef, low sodium beef broth, and the low fat sour cream.
If it’s post holiday meals, and you’re wondering what to do with your leftover prime rib roast you can also try our leftover prime rib beef stroganoff. It’s equally delicious, super fast and easy, and studded with your amazing prime rib leftovers!
Ground Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
Our homemade ground beef stroganoff is made using olive oil, onion, ground beef, seasoning, flour, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, sour cream and egg noodles plus optional mushrooms and parsley.
It’s an extremely forgiving and flexible sauce recipe that can be tailored easily to your likes, and scaled up or down for more or less servings.
For my broth, when available, I like to use the beef bone broth. If you don’t have broth on hand but do have either the Better Than Bouillon or bouillon cubes on hand, you can use those to make your 4 cups of broth as well.
Note that the Worcestershire sauce that you use will affect the flavor of the sauce, Heinz brand is sweeter than Lea & Perrins, for example. Typically, when making any beef stroganoff I know that I have to use less when using the tangier Lea & Perrins brand.
What is Beef Stroganoff Served With (Over)?
The silky, rich and creamy sauce can be served over pasta (as seen here, and buttered noodles are the best!) or white rice, mashed potatoes and even over shoestring potatoes (French fries) as frequently and traditionally done in Russia.
What Side Dishes To Serve With Beef Stroganoff?
Steamed vegetables are a great first choice for a side dish, and I typically serve up green beans as a side.
However, if you’re avoiding carbs the green beans also make a fabulous base to serve this rich and hearty ground beef stroganoff over. I also frequently opt to serve a side salad or garlic bread with my beef stroganoff.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1/2 small white onion (diced)
- 1 lb ground beef (ground chuck is preferred)
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 4 c beef broth (1 32 oz carton)
- 8 oz mushrooms (optional, use white button or baby bella mushrooms - sliced)
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 4 c egg noodles (dry, cook as directed on package)
- 2 Tbsp parsley (optional - fresh, chopped)
- In a large skillet or frying pan, add olive oil and bring to medium heat. Once the olive oil is shimmering, add diced onion and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Break apart the ground beef into chunks while the beef cooks. Drain off excess fat in the pan.
- Cook noodles per package instructions while you are browning the ground beef. Drain and rinse, toss with olive oil or butter if desired.
- Add the flour and seasoning (garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper - starting with about a 1/2 tsp each and add more as needed once the sauce comes together) and combine with the browned ground beef.
- Stir in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. Serve over cooked noodles (or rice) and garnish with parsley.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!