What is vermicelli, is it pasta or rice, how do I prepare it, what does it taste like, and is it good for me? I have all of the answers for you! This helpful guide will walk you through everything you need to know about this yummy ingredient!
What is Vermicelli
If you were a foodie in the 90s then you are probably familiar with vermicelli! A popular brand of make-at-home boxed cuisine known as Rice a Roni used (and still uses) it in its products.
Vermicelli is a thin type of pasta that is used all over the world including in the United States, India, Vietnam, and The Middle East.
It is a thick or thin pasta, depending on where you are in the world! Originally from Italy, this pasta is thicker than spaghetti in its native country.
In the United States, vermicelli is thinner than spaghetti, and in Vietnam, it is the same thickness as angel hair pasta.
It is made with wheat flour and egg, it can be served long or cut into short narrow segments.
🍲 How To Cook Vermicelli
Vermicelli is often served with rice, in soups, or as a traditional pasta with sauce. It can be served in many ways and added to a plethora of dishes.
It is a very thin type of pasta that doesn't require a long cooking time. To prepare this pasta, simply add it to a pot of salted boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes.
Tips on Cooking Vermicelli
Tip 1. Fresh vermicelli has a shorter cooking time, you only need to cook it for 1 to 3 minutes.
Tip 2. Use a large pot to cook your pasta, and fill it with enough water to allow the pasta to move while it cooks. This helps keep the pasta from clumping together.
Tip 3. Add salt to your water to help enhance the flavor of the pasta.
😋 What Does Vermicelli Taste Like
Vermicelli tastes like pasta. Depending on what it is served with, it can take on the flavors of the sauces, seasonings, and other ingredients it is paired with.
🔎 Italian Vermicelli Vs American Vermicelli
Italian and American vermicelli are made the same way but have different circumferences.
The Italian variety is thicker than a traditional spaghetti noodle, while American vermicelli is thinner.
🍽️ Best Vermicelli Recipes
I love delicious vermicelli, it is a great side dish to serve with almost any meal! If you want to make a simple vermicelli dish, try my recipe here.
💪 Is It Good For Me
Vermicelli is a calorie-dense noodle that is high in carbs and low in fat.
To make your vermicelli dish have an extra health boost, add deliciously cooked vegetables such as broccoli, roasted butternut squash, or roasted cherry tomatoes to add essential vitamins and minerals.
🛒 Where To Buy
You can purchase this pasta at any grocery store. You can even order it online and have it delivered to your house!
Uncooked vermicelli will last for up to 2 years in a sealed package or container.
Cooked vermicelli will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
Are you a fan of vermicelli? What is your favorite vermicelli recipe? I would love to know in the comments below!
📖 More Food Guides
- What Are Capers - What exactly are these little buds and what do they taste like?
- What Is Frankfurter - Is there actually any difference between Frankfurters and hotdogs?
- What Is Cod Fish - Find out what makes this white fish so popular!
- What Are Percebes - Did you know that this crustacean is ridiculously expensive?
- What Is Sasso Chicken - What makes this breed of chicken so much tastier than other varieties of chicken?
- What Is Mahi Mahi - This tropical fish is used in so many different recipes!
What Is Vermicelli: Vermicelli Rice (+Cooking Tips!)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 cup Vermicelli rice
- 2 cups Basmati rice (or any long grain rice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- water (enough to cover rice by ½ inch or 2.5 cm)
- 2 tablespoon toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional garnish)
- Rinse your rice under cold water for a few minutes until the water runs clear.2 cups Basmati rice
- Soak rice in a bowl of cold water for about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.2 cups Basmati rice
- In a medium to a large stockpot, add olive oil and bring the heat up to medium. When oil is hot add in the vermicelli pasta. Stir it around to "toast it" keep it moving try and not to burn the vermicelli - you are looking for a golden brown look.2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 cup Vermicelli rice
- When the Vermicelli is toasted, immediately add the drained rice and then stir to combine.2 cups Basmati rice
- Add enough water to cover the rice and pasta by half an inch (2.5cm), then sprinkle in salt.water, 1 teaspoon salt
- Cover and bring the water to a rapid boil. When you reach a rapid boil, reduce the heat down to the lowest setting and continue to cook for 10 minutes. (Do not uncover)
- After 10 minutes is up, shut the heat off, do not uncover. Leave covered for another 10 minutes while the rice and pasta continue to cook.
- Remove the lid and fluff your rice using a fork. If desired garnish with toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy!1 tablespoon chopped parsley, 2 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!