The Malibu Pina Colada is a super easy to make rum cocktail using pineapple juice, rich coconut cream, and ice! Piña Coladas have a slushy consistency that is filled with tasty tropical flavors! Shaken and served over ice, or blended and served in a hurricane glass makes this cocktail absolutely perfect for guests and parties!
This iconic drink spells P-A-R-T-Y and brings to mind images of sandy beaches, tropical sunsets, and Tiki bars. You will love my recipe which includes two versions here for blended and shaken versions!
The Piña Colada, the name means "strained pineapple" in Spanish. Created 1954 at the Beachcomber Bar part of the Caribe Hilton Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico by bartender Ramon Monchito Marrero. It is also Puerto Rico's official drink as of 1978.
- Ice - Depending on how many drinks you plan on making...for parties you will need lots of ice to make the frozen version!
- Malibu Rum - This light coconut rum makes the drink. Although you can use any light coconut flavored rum, I am a huge fan of Malibu brand rum!
- Pineapple Juice - Fresh is always the best, but store bought is typically how I make it.
- Cream Of Coconut - Use Coco Lopez cream of coconut, do not use coconut cream. The two are completely different.
- (Optional Garnish) - A wedge of pineapple and a maraschino cherry.
2 versions for this great drink, I prefer the frozen version. You want non-alcoholic? Just omit the rum and double the pineapple juice and cream of coconut!
Malibu Piña Colada - Frozen
- Add. In a blender add 3 cups ice, 4 ounces Malibu rum, 4 ounces pineapple juice, 3 ounces cream of coconut, and 1 squeeze of lime juice.
- Blend. Mix on the high blender setting until smooth and frothy.
- Pour. Next, pour into hurricane glasses, garnish with an optional pineapple slice, maraschino cherry and tropical umbrella.
- Serve and enjoy!
Malibu Piña Colada - Shaken
- Pour over ice. Pour the rum, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and the squeeze of lime juice over ice in a shaker.
- Shake and serve. Shake for 60 seconds, pour, serve and enjoy!
🥂 Cocktail Tips & Variations
For more pineapple taste feel free to add some frozen pineapple for my serving size below about ½ cup to start and more to taste (for the blended/frozen version).
Other ideas of things to add variety, ½ shot of Kahlua, and/or a splash of orange juice.
For an interesting pineapple twist try making it with Malibu Pineapple Rum.
For the shaken version, if you do not have a shaker you can use a 1-quart mason jar!
🍲 Foods To Serve With
When enjoying a frosty drink you will need something to snack on, I got you covered! Here are some really good ideas of perfect appetizers for you to share!
- A big tray of my nachos supreme works for any crowd.
- Fiesta Mexican street corn fries.
- Won Tons dipped in my amazing sweet and sour sauce, irresistible!
- My baked Parmesan zucchini are a lot healthier and lighter than other snacks, but oh so yummy!
- My super easy air fryer version of coconut shrimp will make these a breeze while enjoying your drinks.
- Easy to make corn fritters are super good and simple to have prepped before quests arrive.
- Strong flavors of Cajun fries really works well with the coconut flavors of the Pina Coladas!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Malibu Pina Colada
- 3 cups ice
- 4 oz Malibu rum (any light coconut rum will work)
- 4 oz pineapple juice (canned dole pineapple juice)
- 3 oz cream of coconut (Coco Lopez is my preferred brand, but any cream of coconut will work)
- 1 squeeze lime juice
Malibu Pina Colada - Frozen
- In a blender add ice, rum, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and a squeeze or fresh lime juice.3 cups ice, 4 oz Malibu rum, 4 oz pineapple juice, 3 oz cream of coconut, 1 squeeze lime juice
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into hurricane glasses, garnish with an optional pineapple slice, maraschino cherry and tropical umbrella.
- Serve and enjoy!
Malibu Pina Colada - Shaken
- Pour rum, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and the squeeze of lime juice over ice in a shaker.
- Shake, pour, serve and enjoy!
Equipment You May Need
- NOTE: Cream of coconut is used in this recipe not coconut cream.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!