These super easy Lucky Charms Marshmallow Treats are just what you need for all of your cereal and marshmallow fans in the family! Plus they're absolutely marshmallow 'Magically Delicious' fun for St. Patrick's Day too!!
Lucky Charms and melted marshmallows combine to make these sweet treats!
Did you absolutely love Lucky Charms growing up? I sure did! I didn't have them too often, but when I did it was a straight sugar rush that any kid would enthusiastically enjoy!
The combination of crispy cereal with weird dried marshmallows was always looked forward to. Of course, my mom usually avoided the 'candy cereal' as she called them but the occasional excuse like a camping trip was so exciting for me.
Then there's the classic Rice Krispies treats. And if you can make melted marshmallow goodness with crispy rice cereal, it made sense to me to try out some more breakfast cereal favorites!
The added bonus here is that these can be made on short notice. Plus they're a fun treat for St. Paddy's Day!
In addition to a 9x13 pan ( or a 9x9 or 8x8 square pan for thicker cereal treats ), you'll need your cereal and the ingredients for making the marshmallow coating. No need for picking out extra marshmallows either, unless you are lucky enough to find the Lucky Charms marshmallows. That would be an awesome topping!
- Lucky Charms cereal - I'm using the classic Lucky Charms, not a special edition variety. The St. Patrick's Day Lucky Green limited edition would be ideal if you're making this for St. Patrick's Day!
- Marshmallows - either mini marshmallows or the regular s'mores size marshmallows will work for melting. I prefer the mini marshmallows so that I can throw extra into the mixture with the cereal!
- Butter - and lots of it! You want your melted marshmallow mixture to be rich with butter as that is what will keep your treats nice and soft!
- Salt - just a pinch of salt if you're using salted butter, otherwise use a scant ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Vanilla - a splash of vanilla will highlight all of your Lucky Charms marshmallow treat flavors. Don't skip it 🙂
Be sure to set aside about ½ tablespoon of butter to really grease up your baking dish thoroughly.
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
The process couldn't be simpler, and I've included microwave and stovetop instructions. A large bowl will hold all of your melted marshmallow and cereal, or use a large saucepan or pot that would also handle a large sticky mess! ( the photos below illustrate the microwave instructions )
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place the marshmallows, butter, and salt. Or place the butter into a saucepan or pot.
- In the microwave, heat the ingredients for 1 minute, then stir. Continue heating in 30-second intervals, stirring between each heating until the marshmallows are melted.
On the stovetop, heat your saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and salt and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and optional extra marshmallows.
- Pour in the Lucky Charms cereal and fold it into the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the coated cereal mixture to your prepared baking dish. Gently press the cereal out to fill the dish using your fingers or a spatula. *Coat your spatula or fingers with butter, water, or non-stick spray for easier handling.
Allow your Lucky Charms marshmallow treats to set up at room temperature for at least one hour. At this point, you can dip them in melted chocolate and decorate further if desired. Enjoy!
To fully set up, the cereal treats need about two hours. Do not refrigerate to speed along the process as this will make your cereal bars dry!
Be sure to use up your Lucky Charms with my easy Lucky Charms chocolate bark too!
More Easy No-Bake Desserts!
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- Butterscotch No-Bake Cookies
- Haystack Cookies
- Fudge Covered Oreos
Lucky Charms Marshmallow Treats
- ⅝ cup butter (1 stick + 2 tablespoons, 10 tablespoons total - plus an extra ½ tablespoon for 9x13 dish)
- 14 oz mini marshmallows (approximately 7 cups mini marshmallows - or 56 regular marshmallows)
- 1 pinch salt (up to ½ teaspoon if using unsalted butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I prefer clear for these treats)
- 6 cups Lucky Charms cereal
- To Microwave: Combine marshmallows, butter, and salt in a large microwave-safe bowl.On the Stovetop: Place the butter in a large saucepan or pot.
- To Microwave: Heat the marshmallow mixture for 1 minute, stir, and continue heating in 30-second increments. stir between each heating until the marshmallows are melted.On the Stovetop: Heat the pan over medium heat to melt the butter, then add salt and marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows have melted.
- Add the vanilla and a handful of extra marshmallows (optional).
- Add the Lucky Charms cereal and fold into the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the mixed cereal treats into a buttered 9x13 baking pan or dish. Press down gently with fingers or a spatula (that has been buttered or wet down) to reach all corners. Do not pack down firmly. Set aside and allow to cool and set up completely before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!