Making the best ever Rice Krispies Treats has been my mission since childhood! Making minor tweaks to the classic rice krispie treats recipe results in my family favorite version! These rice krispies treats are chewy marshmallow perfection in the perfect no bake dessert that anyone can make!
Try my Rainbow Rice Krispies Treats for a colorful variation of this family favorite dessert! Kids of all ages also love these super easy Chocolate Oatmeal No Bake Cookies (without peanut butter)!
Best Ever Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
I think it's safe to say that almost everyone has enjoyed a Rice Krispies treat at some point in their life. I think it's a staple of back to school time, and most definitely an easy beginner recipe for kids to try on their own!
People of all ages love these rice krispies squares and it is so easy to see why. Nothing beats the homemade version either ( sorry Kellogg's, pre-made treats taste super processed )!
This is my recipe for the best Rice Krispies treats, including my tips and tricks for a wonderfully chewy treat. It is the way I have been making my rice crispy treats for ages now, and my family's undisputed favorite version!
Rice Krispies Treats Ingredients
Every version of the classic rice krispie treat includes the three core ingredients: butter, marshmallows, and crispy rice cereal.
My favorite recipe uses:
Butter - a higher ratio of butter makes these rice krispie bars extra rich and delicious.
Marshmallows - to hold your wonderful cereal bars together and give that super gooey, chewy texture. Using fresh marshmallows will yield the best results, older marshmallows that are stale and hardened on the outside will be a gummy mess.
Vanilla - the extra hint of vanilla makes your favorite cereal dessert even better.
Rice Krispies cereal - any brand crisped or puffed rice cereal will work. The crispier the better, use fresh cereal for best results!
Salt - I always use salted butter, so I don't add extra. However, if using unsalted butter I would recommend a pinch of salt for best flavor.
How To Make Rice Krispies Treats with Marshmallows
Prepare a 9 x 13 x 2 baking pan by greasing it generously with butter, spraying it with non-stick cooking spray, or lining with parchment paper.
In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt the butter over low heat. Add the mini marshmallows or marshmallow fluff ( reserving 1 cup portion mini marshmallows to stir in later with the cereal ) and stir into the melted butter.
Continue stirring until all of the marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt, if you are using unsalted butter.
Gently fold in the rice krispies cereal and remaining 1 cup portion of the mini marshmallows until thoroughly coated with the melted marshmallow mixture. Transfer to your prepared 9 x 13 baking pan.
Press down gently to spread the cereal evenly in your pan. You can use the back of a buttered spatula, buttered fingers, a square of waxed paper, or wet fingers to do this without sticking to the gooey cereal mixture.
Push the cereal out to the edges, but don't press down too firmly on your rice krispies treats. If your cereal is packed down too firmly, you will end up with hard rice krispies bars.
Leave the pan of rice krispies treats on your countertop for at least one hour to cool and set. Cut into squares when ready to serve.
Microwave Instructions to Melt Marshmallows
To melt your marshmallows in the microwave, use a large microwave safe mixing bowl. Place marshmallows and tablespoon size butter pats in the bowl together.
Microwave for 2 minutes on high, then stir. Return to the microwave and heat in 30 second increments until the marshmallows are fully melted. Stir until smooth.
Fold in the cereal and mini marshmallows and continue as directed above.
Rice Krispies Treats
- ½ cup butter (salted)
- 15 oz mini marshmallows (1 ½ 10 oz bags, reserve 1 cup of marshmallows)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 cups Rice Krispies
- Butter your 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan, or line with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows (minus 1 cup for later) and stir to coat well. Continue stirring until all of the marshmallows are melted, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla, then add the rice krispies cereal and the remaining 1 cup portion of marshmallows. Gently fold in and stir until all of the cereal is coated with the melted marshmallow.
- Transfer the coated cereal to your prepared pan, then use a buttered spatula, waxed paper, or dip your fingers in water or butter to gently press the rice krispies cereal down into an even layer. *Do not pack the cereal in firmly, as it will make for hard rice krispies treats.
- Set the treats out and let them cool for at least an hour before slicing and serving.
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 10 oz bag of marshmallows (about 40 marshmallows, or 4 cups mini-marshmallows, or 7 oz jar of marshmallow fluff)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
*Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!