Knowing how to make Jiffy cornbread without sour cream can help you make an extra tasty and moist side dish without running to the store! Whether you are vegan, lactose-free, or simply don't like sour cream- I have some perfect alternatives for you! Just because you don't have sour cream doesn't mean you can't enjoy some easy and delicious cornbread, too!
How To Make Cornbread Without Sour Cream
There are a ton of different recipes out there for some delicious homemade cornbread! However, sometimes all you want is a little bit of extra convenience without having to sacrifice any flavor. That is where Jiffy mix comes in!
It is a remarkably great pre-made mix to help you make some awesome cornbread without needing a ton of ingredients! It is a well-known baking hack to add sour cream to this simple mix for the perfect cornbread. However, what if you don't have any sour cream on hand?
What Is Jiffy Cornbread
Jiffy cornbread is a super affordable cornbread mix that is incredibly easy to prepare! Simply add in a few extra ingredients and you'll have yourself a wonderfully moist cornbread side dish!
You can use this convenient mix for a ton of different dishes and recipes rather than having to grab a ton of ingredients for a homemade mix! From corn casserole to cornbread, Jiffy is really a great item to keep in your pantry at all times!
Purpose of Sour Cream
Sour cream is a secret ingredient that is often used in different kinds of baked goods. There are a handful of different reasons why adding sour cream can make a dish better, so let's talk about them!
Benefits Of Sour Cream In Baking
- Adds moisture without thinning out your batter.
- Can add fat for an extra-creamy element.
- Helps prevent your dish from over-browning while baking in the oven.
- Is used to activate baking soda so that the baked good can rise in the oven.
- Adds a wonderfully tangy flavor.
Benefits Of Sour Cream In Cornbread
A box of standard Jiffy cornbread mix only requires adding 1 egg and ⅓ cup of milk. However, adding a ½ cup of sour cream can make a huge difference!
For this pre-mixed cornbread specifically, we are focused on the benefits of adding moisture and the unique tangy flavor!
Sour Cream Substitutes In Jiffy Cornbread
Since we are focused on adding moisture and flavor, these are the best options available to swap out for sour cream!
This list contains all of my favorite substitutes for using in cornbread. If you want to see some more sour cream alternatives, check out my post dedicated to sour cream substitutes!
Greek yogurt is easily my number 1 option for replacing sour cream. It will make your cornbread perfectly moist without causing it to become runny or thin. Plus, it has a very similar tangy flavor!
It will result in a slightly denser cornbread, but whether or not that is an issue depends on your personal preference.
For any of your favorite recipes, Greek yogurt can replace sour cream in an equal 1:1 swap!
Crème Fraiche is a dairy product that is remarkably similar to sour cream! In short, Crème Fraiche is fattier and thicker than sour cream.
Of course, due to the similarity, it will be a wonderful addition to your Jiffy cornbread mix by adding moisture. However, the flavor of Crème Fraiche is not as tangy and acidic as sour cream.
If this flavor difference bothers you, you can add a teaspoon of lemon juice to replicate a more similar flavor to sour cream!
Simply swap out your sour cream at a 1:1 ratio for Crème Fraiche!
Cottage cheese is a type of cheese curd. When compared to sour cream, it is much thicker in consistency.
It will add a creamy and moist element to your cornbread without any issue of thinning out the batter. In fact, cottage cheese is healthier than sour cream as it has lower calories and a higher fat content!
To substitute cottage cheese for 1 cup of sour cream, combine 1 cup of cottage cheese with 3 tablespoons of milk and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
Buttermilk is an easy-to-find alternative! The flavor is extremely similar in acidity and tanginess to sour cream.
However, it is nowhere near as thick. While it will add moisture to your cornbread, you run the risk of the buttermilk thinning it out too much, so make sure to use it sparingly.
Perhaps you are searching for a substitute for sour cream because you need a lactose-free or dairy-free option. Try out some coconut cream (not coconut milk)!
Coconut cream is a thick cream that is made from coconut milk. It is high-fat, low-carb, vegan, and dairy-free! If you add coconut cream into your Jiffy cornbread, it will help to ensure the batter is nice and moist without thinning it out at all!
Obviously, the flavor differences between coconut cream and sour cream are pretty drastic. Go ahead and mix 1 cup of coconut cream with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to account for the flavor. Then use this mixture as a 1:1 sour cream substitute!
Sour Cream Substitution Chart
|Greek Yogurt||Adds moisture, tangy flavor||Denser cornbread|
|Crème Fraiche||Adds moisture||Different flavor|
|Cottage Cheese||Adds moisture and creaminess||Different flavor, more complex to substitute|
|Buttermilk||Similar flavor, adds moisture||Can thin out the batter|
|Coconut Cream||Non-dairy, adds moisture||Different flavor, needs lemon juice|
Now you know how to make Jiffy cornbread without sour cream! Leave a comment down below and let me know which substitute you prefer!
📖 Helpful How-To Articles
- How To Make Meatloaf - Meatloaf is a staple dish in many households, here is how to make it perfect!
- How To Make Butter From Powdered Milk - If you have some powdered milk on hand, check out this walkthrough for making butter!
- How To Roast Lamb - This guide will show you how to make lamb with a perfectly roasted outside and a wonderfully juicy inside!
- How To Cook Asparagus - Asparagus can be cooked in so many different ways, check it out!
- How To Measure Butter - Here are a few different methods for ensuring you have the correct amount of butter every time!
- How To Make Pancakes Fluffier - Here's a list of all of my favorite tips and tricks for making the best pancakes!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
How To Make Jiffy Cornbread Without Sour Cream: Jiffy Jalapeno Cornbread (+Other Great Alternatives)
- 17 oz Jiffy corn muffin mix (2 8.5-ounce boxes)
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt, *see note)
- 4 oz diced jalapenos (1 4-ounce can, or 3-4 diced fresh jalapenos can be used)
- ¼ cup red bell pepper (diced, about ½ a pepper)
- ¼ cup butter (½ stick, melted)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (optional, grated)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C) and grease or butter a 9-inch square baking pan or a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl: Jiffy mix, eggs, buttermilk, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), jalapenos, red bell pepper, melted butter, and optional cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined then transfer into your prepared baking dish or cast-iron skillet.17 oz Jiffy corn muffin mix, 3 large eggs, ¾ cup buttermilk, ½ cup sour cream, 4 oz diced jalapenos, ¼ cup red bell pepper, ¼ cup butter, 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 30-35 minutes, or until golden on the edges and top and an inserted cake tester or butter knife comes out clean. *If your top is browning too quickly, place a sheet of aluminum foil over the cornbread for the last 10-15 minutes of baking time.
- If you don't have sour cream on hand, simply swap it out for some Greek yogurt!
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!
Thanks for coming! Let me know what you think: