Once you try this easy creamed corn cornbread recipe you will want to make cornbread without using a cornbread mix from here on out! The canned creamed corn, butter, and a touch of honey give it plenty of sweetness while the bits of corn throughout the fluffy bread add great texture. This creamed corn cornbread is a must-try side dish this summer!
Easy Creamed Corn Cornbread
Creamed corn cornbread is a great side dish for any family meal. It’s refreshingly sweet and full of flavor thanks to the creamed sweetcorn, honey, and butter.
For those who are more into Southwestern-style cornbread, yes, cheese and jalapeños can be added to make something similar to our Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread. Whether you’re into sweet or savory, this is the dish for you!
This creamed corn cornbread without cornbread mix is also made without buttermilk. Despite the absence of these common ingredients, it’s an easy winner that is anything but dry!
- Eggs - 3 large eggs at room temperature.
- Sour Cream - 1 cup at room temperature, full-fat sour cream is best.
- Butter - ¼ cup.
- Honey - 2 tablespoons.
- Sugar - ¼ cup white sugar.
- Canned Cream Corn - A 14.75-ounce can of creamed corn, not drained.
- Baking Powder - 2 teaspoons.
- Salt - ½ teaspoon.
- Yellow Corn Meal - ¾ cup.
- All-Purpose Flour - 1 ¼ cups.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪How To Make Creamed Corn Cornbread
Your after-dinner self will thank you for making this one-dish delight, all you need to do is mix it up, pour it into a pan, and bake! Grab a baking dish, a mixing bowl, and a whisk to get started.
- Prep. First, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Make batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 large eggs, ¼ cup butter melted and cooled, 1cup of sour cream, and 2 tablespoons of honey. Mix until smooth, then add ¼ cup of sugar, a 14.75-ounce can of creamed corn (juices and all), ½ a teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of baking powder and stir to combine.
- Add cornmeal and flour. Next, add ¾ cup yellow cornmeal and mix just enough to combine it with the wet ingredients. Then add 1 ¼ cup flour and mix gently, just until well combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
Transfer & Bake The Cornbread
- Pour. Transfer the batter to your greased baking dish.
- Bake. Put the batter on the center of the middle rack in your oven and bake for 40-45 minutes at 375°F (190°C) or until your cornbread looks golden-brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.
I love cornbread with a good barbecued meat like these smoked baby back ribs or baked BBQ chicken leg quarters. Serve with some tasty collards or garlic green beans to add some vegetables to add color to the meal (and don’t forget to top the cornbread with some butter and more honey)! Enjoy!
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Bring ingredients to room temperature before mixing. Refrigerated ingredients should be brought to room temperature if at all possible before mixing into a batter. This will lead to more even cooking of your baked goods.
- Cooking time will vary. The amount of time needed will depend on your oven and the type of baking dish you use. The best way to tell if it’s finished is to insert a toothpick with the top begins to turn golden-brown. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Cover it with foil. Sometimes the top will begin to get dark before the middle is cooked. If this happens, cover the dish with aluminum foil for the remaining cook time to prevent further browning.
- Storing: Baked creamed corn cornbread can be kept at room temperature for 1-2 days. For longer storage it should be kept in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 5-7 days. Heat it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds or until warmed to your satisfaction.
Can I Make Creamed Corn Cornbread In A Cast Iron Skillet?
Cornbread is fantastic in a cast-iron skillet, and this is no exception. Just make sure to swipe it with vegetable oil and preheat it when you preheat your oven.
It’s like being at a really great campout without having to haul all of your gear into the woods.
Do I Have To Use Creamed Corn To Make This Cornbread?
It’s not hard to create a substitute if you only have regular sweet corn. Simply create a 1:1 mix of coarsely pureed kernels and thoroughly pureed kernels with a bit of water or milk.
Measure out the originally called for 14.75 ounces and use as instructed.
Fun fact: Most canned creamed sweet corns don’t actually contain cream!
Can I Use Jiffy Cornbread Mix?
In short, yes. This recipe is designed to make creamed corn cornbread without a cornbread mix, but to make it easier you can use two boxes of Jiffy (8.5 ounces each). Omit the flour, corn meal, sugar, and baking powder then follow the instructions in the recipe card below. *Note that cornbread mix already contains cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and sometimes sugar.
🌽 More Tasty Corn Recipes!
- Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- Corn Fries
- Mexican Corn Fritters
- Creamy Baked Corn
- Milk Butter Corn on the Cob
Creamed Corn Cornbread
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, melted and cooled butter, sour cream, and honey. Mix until smooth, then add the sugar, creamed corn, salt, and baking powder and mix to combine.3 large eggs, 1 cup sour cream, ¼ cup butter, 2 tablespoon honey, ¼ cup sugar, 14.75 oz canned creamed corn, 2 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- Next, add the yellow cornmeal and mix just enough to combine it with the wet ingredients. Add the flour and mix gently, just until well combined. Be careful not to over-mix.1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375°F (190°C) or until your cornbread looks golden-brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Using room temperature ingredients when you can (like eggs and sour cream) will help your cornbread cook evenly and they are easier to blend with the other ingredients.
- Total cooking time varies based on your oven and the type of baking dish you use. Check doneness with a toothpick when the top is golden-brown and you suspect it is ready.
- If the center of your cornbread is not baked but the top is starting to get too dark, just cover it with foil for the remaining time.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!