If there is one cake baking basic to have in your arsenal, it is this Homemade White Cake! I know, I have easier versions of white and vanilla cake...I'll share them later I promise. This one, however, is my personal favorite. It tastes amazing, is light and airy, with a great crumb and still very easy to make!
So why do you need this recipe?
Why is it a cake baking essential? Because most everyone can bake cookies and quick breads/muffins, cake from a box is super easy, but homemade cakes from scratch that turn out so beautifully are something to appreciate.
Just like having your go-to chocolate cake recipe, this white cake recipe is one that you can use to add your own personal touches to, use fresh fruits to customize, flavor with seasonal delights, or incorporate some of your other favorite things!
Today's vanilla cake is flavored with clear vanilla extract (for super white cake), with a vanilla buttercream frosting crumb coat, microwave lemon curd filling, and then covered with our classic rolled fondant recipe.
We will be topping it off with fondant ribbon and petal roses, some buttercream rosebuds using Russian piping tips, buttercream leaves, and a bottom border. I'll share the link to our Rose Bouquet Cake soon!
Homemade White Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees F) and grease and flour your baking pans, or coat with non-stick cooking spray (or line your muffin pans with cupcake liners).
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the dry ingredients: cake or all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter in and combine on medium speed (or with a pastry cutter) until you have small, pea-size crumbs of butter in your dry mixture (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add the egg whites and clear vanilla extract, continue mixing at medium speed until all of the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Add the milk gradually by slowly pouring one half of the 1 cup of milk into the cake batter and then mixing until smooth. Add the last half of the milk and mix until smooth again (about 1 minute).
- Pour your cake batter (divided equally) into your prepared baking pans (or cupcake liners) and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 27-32 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean from the center of your cake.
- Allow your cake(s) to cool in the pans for about 5 minutes before removing from the pans and transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!