We love lemons and using them as many ways as we can imagine, which makes this super easy Microwave Lemon Curd an everyday hit! This is such a popular and easy lemony treat to whip up, you’ll have no excuse not to find a million ways to use this tangy deliciousness!
Lemon curd is, by far, my favorite cake filling…but, I also love a dollop of lemon curd on pancakes, crepes, or waffles for breakfast. Plus, I must have lemon thumbprint cookies, or a mini lemon cheesecake, or lemon bars and then there’s my all time favorite way to enjoy some lemon curd. I must have some of my microwave lemon curd on pound cake with a spoonful of fresh homemade whipped cream!
The usual method for making lemon curd involves alot of stirring over a pot of boiling water, on the stove. Switching to this microwave method takes all of the hassle out of making your next batch of lemon curd! Enjoy!
Last Updated: August 13th, 2017
Microwave Lemon Curd
- 1 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed, 3-4 large lemons)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, melted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- lemon zest (from 1-2 lemons, optional)
- In a small to medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Add the lemon juice, melted butter and lemon zest (if desired). Stir to combine.
- Microwave the lemon curd mix in 30 second to 1 minute increments (I like to microwave the lemon curd in shorter increments, but it will take a bit longer to get your desired consistency). Stir between each microwave heating.
- Repeat the heating and stirring steps until your lemon curd sticks to the back of your spoon and begins to hold the stirred shape in your bowl (it will set up more when cooled and refrigerated). This step can take between 4-10 minutes, depending on your microwave's power. When done, the lemon curd should have an internal temperature of 185 degrees F (85 degrees C).
- Stir and transfer to a storage container, then refrigerate until your lemon curd is firm. Lemon curd will store, refrigerated, for up to three weeks and can be frozen for longer storage.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!