Super easy 2 Ingredient Lemon Bars are mixed and baked in no time at all! It only takes a box of cake mix and some lemon creme filling to create these delightfully light and airy lemon bars! They're perfect with a light dusting of confectioners sugar, and suitable for serving at any occasion!
2 Ingredient Lemon Bars Recipe
These light and airy lemon squares are a big surprise if you're used to a standard shortbread based lemon bar. But the cake-like texture and big lemon flavor make these unbelievably easy 2 ingredient dessert bars a finger-licking treat!!
I'll admit to being a fan of all things lemon, and my favorite desserts are almost always fruit based. So talking me into making these cake mix lemon bars was really easy for my daughter ( who had heard about them from a friend ).
We both agree they were worth finding a can of lemon creme filling! However, after making these lemon bars many times now, we also agree that my easy microwave lemon curd makes these golden lemon bars even better!
The batter will get kind of frothy, which is fun. And this is one of the easiest and best 2 ingredient desserts you could let your kids make!
How To Make 2 Ingredient Lemon Bars
It doesn't get much easier than this! Start with the standard steps: preheat your oven to 350ºF ( 175ºC ) and coat your 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking oil or non-stick cooking spray. Be generous as the angel food cake loves sticking to pans!
In a large mixing bowl, empty the contents of the angel food cake mix and then the can of lemon creme pie filling. Combine the ingredients just enough so that the dry cake mix is thoroughly incorporated. Your cake batter should get a slightly frothy appearance.
Transfer the batter into your prepared baking dish and smooth the top with a spatula, so that the batter is evenly spread in the dish. Bake at 350ºF ( 175ºC ) for 30-35 minutes. The top should be a light golden browned color, and you should be able to insert a toothpick and have it come out with minimal crumb. *If you get any batter on your toothpick, it's best to continue baking. Cover with aluminum foil if you don't want the top to brown any more.
Remove the lemon bars from the oven when done and transfer them to a wire cooling rack. Allow the lemon squares to cool completely before slicing and serving. Dust with confectioners sugar as garnish, if desired.
If you are transporting your lemon bars to a picnic or potluck, I suggest keeping them in their baking dish until at your destination. The light cakey texture will easily crumble if they can shift during transport.
Want more super easy cake mix desserts? Try my apple dump cake recipe!
Storage of Cake Mix Lemon Bars
Store any remaining lemon bars with a loose covering of plastic cling film or your baking dish's cover. Keep the lemon bars refrigerated for storing. These lemon bars are best eaten in the first 1 - 2 days, but can keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
2 Ingredient Lemon Bars
- 16 oz angel food cake (1 box of Angel food cake boxed cake mix)
- 21 oz lemon creme filling (lemon pie filling or homemade lemon curd)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and thoroughly oil or spray your 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the angel food cake mix with the lemon creme pie filling. Mix just until the cake mix is incorporated into the lemon creme (or lemon curd), as you don't want to over-mix the batter.
- Transfer the lemon batter to your prepared baking dish, and use a spatula to smooth the top. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden browned and an inserted tooth pick comes out with minimal crumb (but no batter clinging to the tooth pick).
- Remove the lemon bars from the oven when done and place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely before slicing and serving. Dust with confectioners sugar, if desired.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!