This delicious homemade French Onion Dip requires only sour cream, dried minced onion, and seasoning to make this flavorful appetizer dip! No worries if you don't have French onion soup mix on hand! You can make this completely from scratch version and still have a delicious dip for chips, crackers, bread, and veggies!
Perfect Party Creamy Onion Dip
Do you love French onion dip like me? Seriously, I absolutely love this easy appetizer dip, even though I have a few other great methods for making my classic onion dip or French onion dip!
I still love the equally quick and easy-to-make version using Lipton's onion soup mix. It's so eighties and still tastes a lot better than store-bought dips. But I don't like the extra fillers.
Ingredients in store-bought mixes and ready-made dips have so many extras, including preservatives and coloring, that just aren't needed. My simple homemade dip has fewer ingredients, and they're always on hand!
🤔 What Does French Onion Dip Taste Like
French onion dip, also called California Dip, isn't overpowering. The balance of tangy creaminess from the base, whether you use sour cream, cream cheese, or a mixture of one of them with mayonnaise and onion flavor, is just right!
You get a delightful amount of salty seasoning in this creamy dip with a consistency that is absolutely perfect for dipping chips into!
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon Dried Minced Onion
- 1 tablespoon Parsley (freshly chopped or freeze-dried parsley - use 2 teaspoons of dried parsley)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt (to taste)
Whichever base you use or stir-ins you'd love to try, I promise that your party-going friends will devour this creamy onion dip! Or just snack with it on your own while curled up on the couch watching a movie! You can even enjoy my tangy French onion dip with some carrots and celery and call it diet food 🙂
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 How To Make French Onion Dip
By following these steps, you'll create a delicious onion dip that's perfect for any gathering or snacking occasion. Enjoy with your favorite chips or fresh vegetables!
- Prepare the Base: In a small mixing bowl, begin by adding one cup of sour cream to serve as the foundation of your dip.
- Incorporate Dried Minced Onion: Mix in 1 tablespoon of dried minced onion into the sour cream, ensuring it's evenly distributed for flavor throughout.
- Add Fresh Parsley: Stir in 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley to infuse a subtle herby freshness into the dip.
- Seasoning the Dip: Add 1 and ½ teaspoons of onion powder, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt to the mixture, adjusting to taste as necessary.
- Combine and Chill: Thoroughly combine all the ingredients, then cover the bowl. Refrigerate the dip for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together beautifully before serving.
💭 Tips & Notes
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. The flavors 'marry' and combine better after refrigerating. It totally makes sense; your dried onion takes in the moisture from the sour cream and releases the wonderful onion flavor! In addition, all of the seasonings get a chance to release their flavors into the sour cream base as well.
- Alternatives to sour cream that can be used include cream cheese, mayonnaise, and unflavored yogurt (including Greek yogurt). All of these creamy bases will add their distinctive amount of tanginess to the dip. You can also combine any of these with sour cream or with each other to customize your onion dip flavors!
- Great stir-in ideas include a touch of Dijon mustard or ground mustard powder, a splash of Worcestershire sauce, a pinch of paprika, some freshly squeezed lemon juice, fresh chopped chives, or a little bit of finely grated cheese.
>>>>See all of my recipes here<<<<
Store your dip in an air-tight container and keep it refrigerated for up to a week. It shouldn't last beyond the first day or two, as it's that addictive!
The dairy used as a base for the dip can get watery, especially if you have dipped chips, carrots, or celery directly into the dip container. The separation happens, if you've ever used sour cream after the container was opened you've likely seen this before. Simply stir the French onion dip before serving.
Technically, the dip should last for a week ( without preservatives ), but it can last longer if stored properly. Use your best judgment on the appearance and odor of the dip to determine if it is still good. If there is any sign of mold, discard the remaining French onion dip.
Sour cream doesn't freeze well, especially when used in dips like this onion dip. Freezing sour cream changes the consistency of the sour cream, so I do not recommend freezing French onion dip.
😋 More Great Dips & Party Appetizers
- Lobster Artichoke Dip - A luxurious, warm dip blending the richness of lobster and artichokes with creamy cheese, perfect for an upscale appetizer.
- Spinach Artichoke Dip - Creamy and savory blend of spinach and artichokes, melted together with cheeses for a crowd-pleasing party favorite.
- Sweet and Sour Sauce - A tangy and vibrant sauce combining sweetness with a zesty kick, ideal for dipping or glazing various dishes.
- Tuna Dip - An easy-to-make dip combining tender tuna with creamy ingredients and spices, perfect for spreading on crackers or vegetables.
- Irish Nachos - A delightful twist on traditional nachos featuring sliced potatoes layered with cheese, bacon, and other toppings for a hearty snack.
- 7 Layer Dip - The popular party dip with layers of beans, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and more, offering a variety of flavors and textures in every scoop.
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
French Onion Dip
- In a small mixing bowl, start your dip with one cup of sour cream.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried minced onion to the sour cream.
- Add a tablespoon of parsley.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Combine, cover, and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!