Some things are just better when baked in cast iron, and these loaded Irish Nachos are a fantastic example of how true that is!
Irish Nachos Recipe
Crispy, seasoned thin cut russet potato chips are layered in the same skillet that we cooked our bacon in, then topped with colby, cheddar and monterey jack cheeses, crispy pan fried thick cut bacon, sliced jalapeno peppers, black olives, and green onions!
Pile on your favorite loaded baked potato toppings, and serve these tasty Irish pub style nachos with a side of sour cream, pico de gallo, creamy guacamole, ranch dressing, or some cheesy queso! Any which way that you decide to serve your Irish Nachos, they are always a popular favorite that never lasts long!
Have your potatoes pre-baked and ready to layer with your toppings and bake for a quick appetizer, and if you are in need of a faster version (vs sliced potatoes, shown above) you can always use frozen steak fries as your base. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, any oven safe dish will work. Pie plates are about the right shape and work well, too.
Load these tasty potatoes up with your favorite loaded baked potato toppings for the best party snack ever! We are using a three cheese variety blend of colby, cheddar and jack along with chopped bacon (or corned beef), pico de gallo, sliced jalapenos, black olives, chives, and green onions on our Irish Nachos that are shown here. They are delicious (like souped up baked potato skins)!!
I heart fun pub foods, and these pub style Irish Nachos are definitely a great snack! Enjoy!
*Disclaimer: Yes, we know these are not a traditional 'Irish' food. If anything, they are a very Americanized appetizer. However, Irish Nachos are served in Irish pubs throughout the states and across the pond. 🙂
More Irish Recipes!
- Irish Lamb Stew
- Irish Nachos (this page)
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Irish Oatmeal Cake with Caramel Pecan Frosting
- Irish Apple Cake
- Traditional Irish Soda Bread
- Irish Soda Bread Pudding
- Irish Barmbrack
- Potato Leek Soup
- Apple Blackberry Crumble
- 2 large russet potatoes (1 ½ lbs or 4-5 medium potatos)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- 3 slices bacon (thick cut, cooked and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded, or use a variety of cheeses)
- ¼ cup pico de gallo (or chopped tomatoes, optional)
- 10-12 sliced jalapenos (optional, more or less to taste)
- 2 green onions (sliced, reserve some for garnish if desired)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash, dry and cut potatoes into thin slices, about ¼ inch in thickness. (instructions are for oven baked potato chips, sliced potatoes can be fried at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 6-7 minutes). Toss sliced potatoes in olive oil and place onto your baking sheet in a single layer. Season coated potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Place baking sheet with sliced potatoes in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes (they should be starting to get golden), then flip your sliced potatoes over to bake the opposite side. Season with salt and pepper and return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until the potato slices are getting golden and crispy. Remove the sliced potatoes from the baking sheet and arrange in overlapping layers in your cast iron skillet or round baking dish.
- Sprinkle the arranged potatoes with chives, cheese, bacon, pico or tomatoes, sliced jalapenos and green onions.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Place layered nachos in the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.
- Serve immediately. Top with reserved tomatoes, green onion, olives, chives, cilantro or parsley and serve with your favorite dip (greek yogurt, sour cream, ranch dressing, guacamole, or queso dip).
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!