Chocolate cake mix is an incredibly quick and easy baking staple recipe to put together with a few basic ingredients in only five minutes! You can either bake the mix right away, give it to friends as a gift, or store it to save time on another day! This DIY chocolate cake mix is as easy as it gets and will bake moist and fluffy every time!
DIY Chocolate Cake Mix Recipe
Homemade chocolate cake mix is a great shortcut recipe for when you have a special occasion coming up! By adding just a few simple ingredients into a jar or an airtight container, you save time when you need to bake for the family!
Diy chocolate cake mix in a jar makes a cute and fun gift to give out to friends! Everyone will be asking for the recipe because this homemade chocolate cake is so much better than a box mix from the store!
🥘 Chocolate Cake Mix Ingredients
With just a few kitchen staples, you'll have your chocolate cake mix ready in no time! If you keep these simple ingredients in your pantry, you'll never have to buy a box mix again!
- All-Purpose Flour - 2 cups of all-purpose flour (spoon and leveled).
- Sugar - 2 cups of sugar.
- Cocoa Powder - ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Baking Powder - 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Baking Soda - 1 ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Salt - 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Espresso Powder - ½ tablespoon of espresso powder (optional).
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
🔪 How To Make Chocolate Cake Mix
This homemade chocolate cake mix recipe is incredibly easy to make and only takes 5 minutes to prepare! Grab your mixing bowl, measuring cups, and mason jars to get started!
When you decide to bake the DIY chocolate cake mix, it will make 20 servings of fluffy and moist cake! There is plenty to share at an office party, birthday party, or any special occasion!
- Mix dry ingredients. Mix all of your dry ingredients thoroughly (use a whisk to combine, or sift the cocoa powder after measuring). For the best chocolate flavor, do include the optional espresso powder or switch your unsweetened cocoa powder out for Dutch process cocoa.
- Store cake mix. Transfer to a mason jar to send as a gift or an airtight storage container.
- Add wet ingredients. Add liquid ingredients to bake your chocolate cake: 2-3 large eggs, 1 cup milk, ½ cup melted butter or vegetable oil, 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, then add 1 cup boiling water after your batter is combined. Mix until smooth and transfer to your cake pans or 9x13 pan.
If you would like to make homemade icing as well, my chocolate buttercream frosting and vanilla buttercream frosting are delicious and easy to make! Make sure to let the cake completely cool before adding the frosting. Enjoy!
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Bake in a 9x13 baking pan, 3 6" rounds, 2 8" rounds, a 10" springform pan, or a 10" bundt pan.
- If you combine this homemade chocolate cake mix with unsalted butter, you should add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- When making the chocolate cake mix for gift giving, layer the dry ingredients in your 32-ounce mason jars. Add a label, ribbon, or bow as desired.
- Before frosting your baked chocolate cake, it is best to cool the cake for at least two hours (preferably in the refrigerator) before frosting it.
- Your mix may have a shorter shelf life if you live in a hot or humid climate. It is possible for moisture to activate your leavening agents early, leading to a dense cake once you bake it.
Even though this cake mix will last a long time when stored properly in an airtight container, you can always check to see if it is still okay to make. Spoiled cake mix will have an off odor, an off appearance, or mold present. It is essential to make sure that no moisture can get into your stored cake mix to help prolong the shelf life.
Yes, homemade cake mixes are healthier than store-bought because they don't contain added chemicals and preservatives. Plus, you can reduce sugar if you want to and use healthier ingredients overall.
Absolutely! If you omit the unsweetened cocoa powder, this recipe will make a yellow cake mix. A white cake can be made by using egg whites and clear vanilla extract.
😋 More DIY Recipes
- Blueberry Syrup- Try this delicious and fruity homemade blueberry syrup on waffles, crepes, and pancakes!
- Toffee Sauce- A tasty rich and carmelized toffee sauce recipe that is great to make for your next ice cream night!
- Russian Salad Dressing- An easy versatile Russian salad dressing recipe perfect for salads, Rueben sandwiches, and burgers!
- Teriyaki Sauce- A sweet and tangy sauce that goes well on vegetables, rice, meat, fish, noodles, and more!
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting- Make this delightful peanut butter frosting the next time you bake a batch of brownies!
- Whipped Cream- My whipped cream recipe is easy to make and is the perfect topping for many desserts!
Chocolate Cake Mix
- Mix all of your dry ingredients thoroughly (use a whisk to combine, or sift the cocoa powder after measuring). For the best chocolate flavor, do include the optional espresso powder or switch your unsweetened cocoa powder out for Dutch process cocoa.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups sugar, ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ tablespoon espresso powder
- Transfer to a mason jar to send as a gift, or an airtight storage container.
- Add liquid ingredients to bake your chocolate cake: 2-3 large eggs, 1 cup milk, ½ cup melted butter or vegetable oil, 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, then add 1 cup boiling water after your batter is combined. Mix until smooth and transfer to your cake pans or 9x13 pan.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!