It’s that time of year when I get to combine two of my favorite sweets in these Candy Corn Sugar Cookie Pinwheels! A fun combination of rolled sugar cookies, in candy corn tri-color layers! Based on my favorite Vintage Betty Crocker Rolled Sugar Cookies recipe, which I split into three batches and add coloring to for these terrific, bright, and fun Halloween delights!
The best thing about these cookies is that there is no extra decorating needed, and there is room for imperfections (as the layers puff outward when baking). Let your kids get hands on with these, as there is a very minimal mess too!!
*These quick cookies (other than a short chilling period) need to be baked for the full recommended time and be sure to run a test batch so you can make any timing adjustments necessary so as to avoid having under-baked centers in the pinwheels.
Candy Corn Sugar Cookie Pinwheels
- 1 batch Vintage Betty Crocker Rolled Sugar Cookies (see recipe)
- orange and yellow gel food coloring
- Divide sugar cookie dough into three equal portions, and place two of those portions into small bowls to stir in the food coloring (leave the third portion alone to be the 'white' layer). Add about 4-6 drops to start in the orange and yellow bowls and stir in the coloring until well combined. Adjust the color adding more drops, if needed. Cover each portion in plastic wrap and chill the dough.
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F and remove the chilled dough from your refrigerator. Roll each of the color layers out, starting with orange and adding the yellow layer then the white (uncolored ) layer, stacking them onto each other once each layer is rolled out.
- Roll the stacked layers up into a log shaped cylinder, then slice the pinwheels off in 1/2 inch portions. Arrange them on the parchment paper lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart from each other. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes or until lightly golden on the bottom edges. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!