Incredibly tasty air fryer chicken thighs cook up to crispy perfection with a flavorful seasoning that is sure to make this a new go-to chicken dinner! It's a super fast and easy-to-make meal option that the whole family will love!
An easy air fryer recipe for the most tender, juiciest chicken you can imagine!
Looking for an out-of-this-world chicken recipe you can make in a rush? Air fryer chicken is incredibly easy and quick to pull together but looks – and tastes – like you spent alot more time on it!
All you need is chicken thighs and seasoning. Chicken seasoning blends often combine multiple herbs with spices like paprika, dry mustard, celery seed, cumin, and cayenne pepper. It’s amazing!
This recipe is simple. Just dry off your chicken, add the spices, and cook until crisp. It’s as easy as that!
Leftovers won’t disappoint! You can pull the meat off the bone for sandwiches or toss it in pasta, soups, or salads. The whole family can pack a lunch the next day if you make enough!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
Easy Prep! 5 minutes of work and 22 minutes of cooking time! There's minimal mess and no extra dishes needed either!
Crispy Skin! The air fryer does a great job of getting that amazing crispiness!
It's Family-Friendly! Kids and adults alike will love this savory, juicy chicken dinner!
There are just two ingredients in this recipe, but you can get as elaborate as you want with the spices! See below for some ideas!
- 1 ½ pounds Chicken Thighs - This comes out to about 4 chicken thighs at 6 ounces each, I used bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
- 2 teaspoons Chicken Seasoning - Check out my recipe or buy your favorite brand!
Chicken seasoning can be made with loads of different spices. Chicken has a very neutral flavor, and you could season it a million different ways.
Try some of the combos below or some of my chicken marinades if you feel like experimenting. Or just keep it simple with some a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
🧂 Substitutions & Additions
Lemon Pepper and Rosemary. I’m a big fan of this mix. It’s simple but delicious. When it’s cooked, squeeze on some extra lemon juice and garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary for added decor.
Herbs de Provence - This is a spice blend made with things that typically grow in the Provence region of France like the following: lavender, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, oregano, tarragon, fennel seeds, etc.
Barbecue Rub - Get your cookout on! Smoky and sweet flavors give this all the taste of a good old-fashioned BBQ without even having to get out the grill!
Garlic Powder and Basil - This simple combination is leaning towards Italian. Just sprinkle it with some Parmesan when you pull it out of the air fryer to finish it off!
Taco Seasoning - One of the staples of a good taco seasoning, regardless of the meat it’s going on, is cumin. Cumin and chili powder give this the traditional flavors we all know and love!
🔪 Step-By-Step Instructions
This is an easy recipe for any level of at-home cook. You’ll need your handy air fryer, a digital meat thermometer, and a pair of silicone kitchen tongs.
- Preheat your air fryer. Set your air fryer to 360℉ (195℃) and let it heat up for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the chicken thighs. Get out 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs. For crispy skin, trim off any excess skin or fat. Then, pat the dry with paper towels and season them thoroughly on all sides with 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning.
- Cook. When the air fryer is fully preheated, use a spritz bottle or a pastry brush brush with oil. Then, lay the chicken thighs skin-side down in the basket and cook for 12 minutes.
- Flip and finish cooking. Use the tongs to turn the thighs over. Then, cook for another 10 minutes. When the internal temperature reaches 165℉ (74℃) at the thickest point, your chicken is done.
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Don’t use aerosol sprays on your air fryer. It damages the non-stick coating. A spritz bottle should be used, or a pastry brush to brush on the oil.
- You may need to work in batches. 4 chicken thighs will fit perfectly in a 6-quart fryer. If yours is smaller, cook a couple at a time.
- Chicken cooks faster in preheated air fryers. This also applies to second and third batches if you're feeding a crowd.
- Add time for extra crispy thighs. Increase cooking time in 4-minutes increments until they’re as crispy as you’d like them to be.
- Be quick when you check the temperature. If you need to continue cooking to reach 165℉ (74℃), you don’t want the chicken or the air fryer to lose too much heat.
🥡 Storing & Reheating
If you make enough for leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. For best flavor, eat within 2 to 3 days.
If you need to make your chicken thighs last a little longer, let them cool completely before individually wrapping each thigh in foil before putting them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Store in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. Eat within 2 to 3 for best taste.
Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheating Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
It’s easy to reheat leftovers. Just unwrap them and put them back in the air fryer at 400ºF (205ºC) for 6 to 8 minutes or until hot.
If you’ve pulled the chicken off the bone, reheat in a saucepan over low heat with a drizzle of broth until hot.
🍗 Marinades For Chicken Recipes
Check out all my chicken marinades, here are a few of my favorites!
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 1 ½ lb chicken thighs (4 chicken thighs at 6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoon chicken seasoning (see recipe, or your favorite brand)
- Preheat your air fryer at 380°F (195°C) for 5 minutes.
- For the crispiest results, begin by trimming any excess skin or fat from your chicken thighs and pat them dry with paper towels. Then, season the thighs generously with chicken seasoning.2 teaspoon chicken seasoning, 1 ½ lb chicken thighs
- Once the air fryer has preheated, spray the basket with non-stick cooking spray. Place the chicken thighs skin-side-down in the basket, and cook at 380°F (195°C) for 12 minutes.
- Pull out the basket, flip the thighs skin-side-up, and cook for 10 minutes more. Your chicken thighs are ready once the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- A 6-quart air fryer basket will fit 4 chicken thighs perfectly. If you have a smaller air fryer, you should work in batches.
- If you want extra crispy thighs, add more cook time in 4-minute increments until the thighs are as crispy as you'd like.
- When opening the air fryer to temp your chicken thighs, move quickly in case they need to be returned to air fry further to finish.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!