Delicious air fryer chicken thighs cook up to crispy perfection with a flavorful seasoning that will make this a new go-to chicken dinner! It's a super fast and easy-to-make meal option that the whole family will love!
Easy To Make Juicy Chicken Recipe
Craving a quick yet impressive chicken dish? Try this air fryer chicken! It's super easy and fast to make, but it tastes like you put in a lot of effort.
You only need two things: chicken thighs and a good seasoning blend. A typical chicken seasoning mix includes a variety of herbs along with spices like paprika, dry mustard, celery seed, cumin, and a hint of cayenne pepper for a burst of flavor.
The process is easy. Pat the chicken dry, season it well, and air fry until it's perfectly crispy. That's all there is to it!
And don't worry about having chicken leftovers – they're just as versatile. Shred the chicken off the bone to make delicious sandwiches, or add it to pasta, soups, or salads for a tasty meal.
❤️ Why This Recipe Works!
- Easy Prep! 5 minutes of work and 22 minutes of cooking time! There's a minimal mess, and no extra dishes are needed either!
- Crispy Skin! The air fryer does a great job of getting that amazing crispiness!
- It's Family-Friendly! Kids and adults alike will love this savory, juicy chicken dinner!
This recipe has just two ingredients, but you can get as elaborate as you want with the spices! See below for some ideas!
- 1 ½ pounds Chicken Thighs - This comes out to about 4 chicken thighs at 6 ounces each, I used bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
- 2 teaspoons Chicken Seasoning - Check out my recipe or buy your favorite brand!
Chicken seasoning can be made with loads of different spices. Chicken has a very neutral flavor, and you could season it in a million different ways.
Try some of the combos below or some of my chicken marinades if you feel like experimenting. Or keep it simple with some generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
🧂 Substitutions & Additions
- Lemon Pepper and Rosemary. I’m a big fan of this mix. It’s simple but delicious. When it’s cooked, squeeze on some extra lemon juice and garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary for added decor.
- Herbs de Provence - This is a spice blend made with things that typically grow in the Provence region of France, like the following: lavender, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, oregano, tarragon, fennel seeds, etc.
- Barbecue Rub - Get your cookout on! Smoky and sweet flavors give this all the taste of a good old-fashioned BBQ without even getting out the grill!
- Garlic Powder and Basil - This simple combination is leaning towards Italian. Just sprinkle it with Parmesan when you pull it out of the air fryer to finish it!
- Taco Seasoning - One of the staples of good taco seasoning, regardless of the meat it’s going on, is cumin. Cumin and chili powder give this the traditional flavors we all know and love!
🔪 How To Air Fry Chicken Thighs
This is an easy recipe for any level of at-home cook. You’ll need your handy air fryer, a digital meat thermometer, and a pair of silicone kitchen tongs.
- Preheat your air fryer. Set your air fryer to 360℉ (195℃) and let it heat up for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the chicken thighs. Get out 1 ½ pounds of chicken thighs. For crispy skin, trim off any excess skin or fat. Then, pat them dry with paper towels and season them thoroughly on all sides with 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning.
- Cook. When the air fryer is fully preheated, use a spritz bottle or a pastry brush brush with oil. Then, lay the chicken thighs skin-side down in the basket and cook for 12 minutes.
- Flip and finish cooking. Use the tongs to turn the thighs over. Then, cook for another 10 minutes. When the internal temperature reaches 165℉ (74℃) at the thickest point, your chicken is done.
🍽️ What To Serve With Chicken Thighs
I love serving chicken with creamy roasted garlic mashed potatoes and a green bean casserole. For a lighter option, consider a crisp green garden salad or easy microwave vegetables like broccoli or carrots. These chicken thighs are also fantastic when paired with a side of fluffy saffron rice or jasmine rice, adding a wholesome touch to your meal.
💭 Tips & Notes
- Oil Application: Avoid using aerosol sprays in your air fryer as they can damage the non-stick coating. Instead, use a spritz bottle or a pastry brush to apply oil to the chicken.
- Batch Cooking: Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches. A 6-quart air fryer can typically accommodate 4 chicken thighs. If your air fryer is smaller, cook just a couple at a time to avoid overcrowding.
- Preheating for Faster Cooking: Preheat your air fryer for quicker cooking times. This is especially useful if you're cooking multiple batches.
- Crispiness Adjustment: For extra crispy chicken thighs, extend the cooking time in 4-minute intervals until you achieve the desired crispiness.
- Efficient Temperature Checking: When checking the internal temperature of the chicken, be quick to minimize heat loss. If further cooking is needed to reach 165℉ (74℃), you want to retain as much heat as possible in both the chicken and the air fryer.
- Seasoning Variations: Experiment with different seasoning blends to change up the flavor. Try a mix of garlic powder, smoked paprika, and a touch of brown sugar for a sweet and smoky taste.
- Resting Before Serving: Let the chicken rest for a few minutes after cooking. This allows the juices to redistribute, making the meat more tender and flavorful.
>>>>See all of my recipes here<<<<
🥡 Storing & Reheating
If you make enough for leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. For the best flavor, eat within 2 to 3 days.
If you need to make your chicken thighs last a little longer, let them cool completely before individually wrapping each thigh in foil and putting them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Store in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. Eat within 2 to 3 for best taste.
Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
It’s easy to reheat leftovers. Just unwrap them and put them back in the air fryer at 400ºF (205ºC) for 6 to 8 minutes or until hot.
If you’ve pulled the chicken off the bone, reheat in a saucepan over low heat with a drizzle of broth until hot.
🍗 Marinades For Chicken
Check out all my chicken marinades; here are a few of my favorites!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
📖 Recipe Card
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 1 ½ lb chicken thighs (4 chicken thighs at 6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoon chicken seasoning (see recipe, or your favorite brand)
- Preheat your air fryer at 380°F (195°C) for 5 minutes.
- For the crispiest results, begin by trimming any excess skin or fat from your 1 ½ lb chicken thighs and pat them dry with paper towels. Then, season the thighs generously with 2 teaspoon chicken seasoning.
- Once the air fryer has preheated, spray the basket with non-stick cooking spray. Place the chicken thighs skin-side-down in the basket, and cook at 380°F (195°C) for 12 minutes.
- Pull out the basket, flip the thighs skin-side-up, and cook for 10 minutes more. Your chicken thighs are ready once the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- A 6-quart air fryer basket will fit 4 chicken thighs perfectly. If you have a smaller air fryer, you should work in batches.
- If you want extra crispy thighs, add more cook time in 4-minute increments until the thighs are as crispy as you'd like.
- When opening the air fryer to temp your chicken thighs, move quickly in case they need to be returned to air fry further to finish.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!