My better-than-store-bought BBQ chicken rub is just what you need for seasoning all your favorite cuts of chicken! This versatile chicken seasoning is a little sweet, a little smokey, and tastes absolutely delicious on grilled, smoked, or baked chicken!
Forget the messy BBQ sauce, this amazing BBQ chicken dry rub has all the flavor you need!
When many people think BBQ, they think sticky, drippy sauce covering every inch of meat. Well I'm here to tell you, that is not the only way to enjoy BBQ!
A quality dry rub can take place of both the marinade and the BBQ sauce (not to say you couldn't keep some on the side for dipping), and this BBQ chicken rub has been perfected so that it can do just that!
Whether your chicken of choice is a juicy chicken thigh, tender breast meat, or even wings- this rub will work wonders!
All of the ingredients are spice-rack or pantry staples. Measuring is key, so no eye-balling the ingredients or you could end up with a dry rub that is too sweet or too smokey!
- 2 tablespoons Light Brown Sugar (packed)
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Oregano (optional)
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
There are 2 easy steps to making this dry rub. You can't mess it up!
- Measure. To start, measure out all the ingredients and add them to a small bowl and mix until evenly distributed. (2 tablespoons light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon oregano.)
- Season. Generously season chicken with the dry rub right away or store for later use.
I typically use about half of the dry rub per pound of chicken, but you can always use more or less to your liking.
Store dry rub in an airtight container or jar that and place it in a dark, cool place such as a cabinet or pantry. It will last for up to 3 months.
If using the rub after it has been stored, give it a good shake to re-distribute all the ingredients.
🌶️ More Great Seasoning Mixes!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
BBQ Chicken Rub
- Measure out all of the spices and combine in a small bowl until evenly distributed.2 tablespoon light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon oregano
- Season chicken generously with rub, or store in an airtight storage container or spice jar for later.
- I typically use ½ of the combined bbq chicken rub per each pound of chicken I am cooking. More always works too!
- If using the bbq rub after it has been stored, make sure to shake or mix thoroughly before using to combine all of the ingredients.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!