The easiest, simplest, and fastest Microwave Carrots ever are also some of the tastiest steamed carrots you'll ever enjoy! With only a splash of water and a few minutes of cooking time, this has to be the best way to get a veggie side dish on the table in no time at all!
Microwave Steamed Carrots Recipe
I'm a big fan of veggies and absolutely love perfectly cooked carrots, and this easy microwave carrots method is a new fave!! I mean, I LOVE oven-roasted carrots too, but these steamed carrots are just so darn fast!!
Plus they're super simple to check on and get them as perfectly tender as my daughter likes them. She won't eat a carrot if it's even remotely firm in the core, go figure!
You truly will have an awesome veggie side on the table in like 15 minutes, tops!
What You'll Need
Other than a microwave-safe dish, you don't need much! No special microwave gadgets required!
- Carrots - as many as you like, it doesn't change the cooking time by much! Wash and/or peel your carrots, whichever you prefer. Then slice into relatively equal size rounds about ½ inch in thickness. *This will help the carrots cook quickly and evenly.
- Water - just a splash is all it takes at the bottom of your dish, about 2 - 3 tablespoons will do it!
- Butter - a rich, buttery coating makes these easy steamed carrots complete! You can also glaze your microwave carrots with honey or maple syrup, or a sprinkle of brown sugar, or cinnamon sugar too!
- Salt & Pepper - and season to taste! I only use salt on mine, and just a dash to bring out the delicious natural sweetness of the carrots!
How to Steam Carrots in the Microwave
It doesn't get any simpler! Prep your carrots and get them into a dish, then heat and serve!
- Wash or peel your carrots. Chop them into as close to even in size rounds as you can get. About ½ inch in thickness.
- Place your chopped carrots into a microwave-safe dish and add water. Cover with a tight-fitting lid or a plate.
- Cook the carrots on high for 3 minutes, then test the firmness. Continue cooking in one-minute increments until the carrots reach your desired level of tenderness. *Be very careful of the steam when opening your dish! I also recommend the use oven mitts to remove the dish from your microwave.
Once the carrots are nice and tender, remove the dish and leave it covered for about one minute. Drain off the excess water, then add the butter and toss to coat the carrots. Season and serve with your favorite main dishes!
- 4 medium carrots (washed and or peeled, chopped into ½ inch rounds)
- 3 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- Wash and or peel your carrots, then chop into rounds that are approximately ½ inch in thickness.
- Place the chopped carrots into a microwave-safe dish and add the water. Cover with a fitted lid or a plate that will seal the dish.
- Cook on high for 3 minutes and check your carrots. Heat in additional 1 minute increments until the carrots have reached your desired level of tenderness. *My family likes very tender carrots, 5 minutes is the usual!Be very careful of steam when removing the carrots from the microwave, or opening your dish!
- Let the cooked carrots sit for about one minute, drain off any excess water, then toss with butter, and season with salt and pepper.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!