Here's what to serve with hummus so that you can turn your tasty dip into an unforgettable meal that the whole family will love! From grilled meats to homemade bread bowls, there are plenty of easy options to choose from! Hummus is quick to prepare, and these recipes are just the thing to complete your meal!
Foods To Eat With Hummus As A Meal
Hummus is a delectable dip that can be made in a variety of ways and is typically served as an appetizer or snack. However, if you are wanting to prepare hummus as the highlight of a meal, there are plenty of great options to pair with it!
While pita chips and veggie sticks are common choices, there are more filling options to choose from. You can pair your hummus with a tasty wedge salad, salami sandwich, or any of the flavorful dishes below!
- Foods To Eat With Hummus As A Meal
- Typical Hummus Pairings
- 1. Flatbread
- 2. Deviled Eggs
- 3. Easy Air Fryer Pretzel Bites
- 4. Rustic Bread or Homemade Bread Bowls
- 5. Salami Sandwich
- 6. Wedge Salad
- 7. Fruit Cocktail Salad
- 8. Grilled Tomahawk Ribeye Steak
- 9. Grilled Branzino
- 10. Olive Dip
- 11. Flatbread (No Yeast)
- Tips For Choosing What To Serve With Hummus
- 😋 More Tasty Dip Recipes
- 📋 Recipe
- What To Serve With Hummus: Creamy Hummus Pasta Sauce (+More Tasty Recipes!)
- Ingredients US CustomaryMetric
- Equipment You May Need
- 💬 Comments
If you've never made homemade hummus before, check out my easy hummus recipe that is ready to serve in just 5 minutes!
Typical Hummus Pairings
Commonly served items include falafel or beanballs, veggies (celery, carrots, snap peas, radishes, peppers, cauliflower, jicama, green beans, or cherry tomatoes), fruits like apple slices and pear slices, tahini, crackers or pretzels, pita chips or bagel chips, grissini or bread sticks, and crostini with olive oil.
Flatbread is incredibly easy to prepare, and its airy texture provides a wonderful contrast to the creamy and dense consistency of hummus! The softness of flatbread allows you to scoop up a generous amount of hummus, and the simplicity of its flavor won't overpower the star of the show.
2. Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs are a timeless favorite for gatherings, holidays, and parties that will pair well next to a bowl of hummus! These tasty eggs feature a filling with the classic combination of mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, and mustard.
3. Easy Air Fryer Pretzel Bites
If you are looking for an easy appetizer to serve alongside your favorite hummus, these air fryer pretzel bites are just the thing! They're the perfect combination of salty, soft, and chewy - plus, your kids will love them as much as you do.
4. Rustic Bread or Homemade Bread Bowls
This delicious rustic bread is not only easy to make, but it is also perfect for tearing into pieces to dip into your hummus. Its sturdy structure allows you to load up a good amount without having to worry about the bread falling apart or becoming soggy!
Another great bread option is my homemade bread bowls! These are great for serving party dips (or soup). Plus, you don't need any bread-making experience or even a bread machine!
5. Salami Sandwich
Nothing beats enjoying some of your favorite hummus with a delicious salami sandwich loaded with mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese! Whether you are looking for a quick and easy lunch or dinner, it's sure to be a hit with everyone!
6. Wedge Salad
A classic wedge salad goes well with a large variety of dishes, and serving it with some hummus is no exception! My version features iceberg lettuce, bacon, blue cheese crumbles, tomatoes, chives, and an easy blue cheese dressing, so it has a perfect balance of flavors.
>>>>See all of my recipes HERE<<<<
7. Fruit Cocktail Salad
Fruit salads are easily customizable and provide a pleasant textural contrast to the creaminess of hummus. You can opt for a classic mix like berries, melon, and citrus fruit or experiment with more unique combinations!
8. Grilled Tomahawk Ribeye Steak
The combination of tomahawk ribeye and hummus is sure to leave a lasting impression. You can add a dollop of hummus on top or dip slices of steak directly into it. Either way, this duo is sure to impress every time!
9. Grilled Branzino
Grilled branzino is an incredibly easy-to-make white fish that any seafood lover will enjoy. It has a mildly sweet flavor that will go well with the earthy and plant-based tones of hummus beautifully!
10. Olive Dip
This savory olive dip is loaded with green olives, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and seasoning, making it a great appetizer for any occasion. Pair it with a bowl of hummus, your favorite veggie slices, and crackers, and watch how quickly it disappears.
11. Flatbread (No Yeast)
If you've never tried your hand at making bread before, then this flatbread (with no yeast) is the perfect place to start! With only 4 ingredients that result in a pliable texture, it's perfect for serving alongside your hummus or using as a base for some delicious sandwiches.
Tips For Choosing What To Serve With Hummus
Below are a few serving tips to help you pull together an incredible hummus meal! Don't be afraid to offer a variety of options; you'll want to choose a few sides based on your family's personal preferences.
- Raw or grilled vegetables: Hummus is often served with either fresh raw veggie slices or a medley of grilled vegetables. The creamy texture of hummus pairs extremely well with the refreshing crunch of cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, and celery. If you prefer grilled vegetables, zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers, can also be a wonderful pairing.
- Bread: When you think of hummus, Pita bread usually comes to mind as the accompaniment. However, you can also pair it with slices of French bread, sourdough, Naan, or even tortilla chips. For a healthier option, consider whole-wheat bread or crackers.
- Grilled Protein: Hummus tastes delicious with grilled skewers of meat like lamb, beef, or chicken. It even pairs well with seafood, sausages, and falafel.
- Salads: Did you know that hummus can be used as a dressing for salads too? Try pairing it with a Greek salad, tabbouleh, or any salad that includes feta cheese and your favorite olives.
- Eggs: For a great protein-packed snack or light lunch, serve your hummus with hard-boiled eggs or deviled eggs!
- Added spices and ingredients: Consider the flavors and ingredients that you add to your hummus when pairing with other dishes. Traditional hummus pairs well with most foods. However, hummus flavored with something like roasted red peppers or olives may pair well with savory sides.
When you're in the mood for hummus, you can't go wrong pairing it with any of these delicious options! It's all about your personal preferences! Leave me a comment down below if you try any of them out!
😋 More Tasty Dip Recipes
- Sausage Cream Cheese Dip - This flavorful dip comes together with just 3 ingredients and a cook time of 15 minutes!
- Tuna Dip - If you're looking for a crowd-pleasing dip to bring to parties, this tuna dip is the one for you!
- Cream Cheese Salsa Dip - This incredibly easy dip only requires 2 basic ingredients and a few minutes of your time!
- Dill Pickle Dip - A quick and easy party dip that's loaded with dill pickles, cream cheese, sour cream, pickle juice, and dried dill weed!
- Sour Cream Chip Dip - This creamy appetizer dip is perfect for bringing to your next potluck or work party!
- Buffalo Chicken Dip - An easy and affordable chicken appetizer that's filled with your favorite wing sauce flavor!
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Subscribe to the newsletter today (no spam, I promise)! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
What To Serve With Hummus: Creamy Hummus Pasta Sauce (+More Tasty Recipes!)
- ¼ cup pasta water (reserved from your pasta of choice)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (optional, minced)
- 1 cup hummus (see my recipe or use store-bought)
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- each, salt & pepper (to taste)
- fresh basil leaves (optional garnish, or oregano, parsley, or thyme)
- Cook your preferred pasta to al dente as instructed on the package. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water and drain the rest.¼ cup pasta water
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon garlic, if using, and sautee until fragrant (about 30 seconds).2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon garlic
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in 1 cup hummus until warmed through.1 cup hummus
- Slowly stir in the reserved pasta water until the sauce is creamy and smooth.
- Mix in the juice and zest of 1 lemon and season with each, salt & pepper to taste.1 lemon, each, salt & pepper
- Toss with your preferred cooked pasta and garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired.fresh basil leaves
- I recommend trying 1 cup of my easy hummus recipe as the base for this sauce or you can use your favorite store-bought brand if preferred.
- Using ¼ cup of the leftover starchy pasta water helps to create a silky sauce that clings to your pasta.
- Feel free to add other ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, sauteed mushrooms, spinach, or grilled chicken as this recipe is incredibly versatile!
- Garnish your pasta with fresh herbs like basil and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese if desired before serving. You could also add a pinch of crushed red pepper if you prefer a spicier sauce.
- To store: Store your cooled leftover creamy hummus sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. It's best to store your cooked noodles in a separate container as it will absorb the sauce over time. This could result in a drier texture when reheated.
- To freeze: Place your creamy hummus pasta sauce in a freezer-safe container or a heavy-duty storage bag (leaving some excess space, as it may expand). Store in your freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in your refrigerator overnight before reheating.
- To reheat: Transfer your leftover sauce to a saucepan or skillet. Reheat the sauce gently over medium-low heat on the stovetop. Combine with al dente noodles and toss before serving.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!