What is bratwurst, what does it taste like, how is it best prepared, where can I buy it, and is it any different than a regular sausage? Don't worry, I have all of the answers! In fact, I'm going to break down a ton of different important information about this delectable sausage!
What is Bratwurst
Most people are familiar with summer picnics and eating delicious bratwurst! We know they are juicy and succulent, but what exactly are they?
First off, bratwurst is a kind of German sausage. Typically, it is produced using finely chopped pork, beef, or veal. Pork is the most common type of meat used in bratwurst, along with delicious herbs and spices.
How To Cook Bratwurst
The best way to cook a bratwurst is whichever way you prefer! Brats can be grilled, boiled, fried, baked, or stewed! You can make them crispy or soft, or even somewhere in between.
No matter which way you choose to cook your brat, always be sure it cooks thoroughly. You want it to have an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Check out my guide on sausage internal temperatures!
Tips On Cooking Bratwurst
Tip 1: Grill your bratwurst on medium heat to give it a nice char on the outside. Use a charcoal grill to enhance the flavor of the bratwurst even further.
Tip 2: Parboil your brats before adding them to the grill. This helps the internal temperature reach 165°F (74°C) and assures that they will cook evenly and thoroughly.
Tip 3: Don't break the casing before cooking your brats. Breaking the casing will let the delicious juices leak out, depleting the brats of flavor and tenderness.
What Does Bratwurst Taste Like
Brats have a bold and smokey flavor with hints of garlic and herbs. Brats are often seasoned with sage, ginger, nutmeg, caraway, and clove.
Bratwurst vs Sausage
Some people confuse bratwurst and sausage. The two are similar, but they are not exactly the same. While brats are a type of sausage, not all sausage is considered bratwurst.
Brats are a type of fresh German sausage that is made raw and needs to be fully cooked before it can be eaten.
Sausage can be bought fresh, smoked, or dried.
Examples of fresh sausages are breakfast links and brats. They must be thoroughly cooked before consumption.
Examples of smoked sausage include meats like kielbasa. These are fully cooked and only need to be reheated.
Then there are dried sausages like pepperoni and salami which can be eaten as is.
Best Bratwurst Recipes
Bratwursts are made throughout the world in different ways. There are an unlimited number of ways to make the perfect brat.
Americans love a nice smoked brat on a thick bun topped with condiments such as mustard, ketchup, or relish.
Try our recipe for air fryer brats and you won’t be disappointed!
Is Bratwurst Good For Me
Bratwurst contains ample amounts of protein, vitamin B6, and amino acids from the meat used to make them. They also have added vitamins and minerals from the added herbs and spices.
Pork brats are high in fat and should be limited if you are on a low-fat diet.
Where To Buy
You can buy bratwurst at any grocery store in the meat department. You can also shop for brats at your local butcher.
Bratwurst should be kept chilled in the refrigerator or freezer until you are ready to cook it. Once it is prepared it can last up to 3 days in the fridge in a sealed container.
Have you ever tried bratwurst before? Let me know in the comments below which recipe is your favorite!
📖 Cooking Tips & Tricks
- Best Way To Reheat Steak - Don't worry about drying out your delicious steak, this guide will show you the best way to reheat leftovers!
- Cloves To Minced Garlic Conversion - If you ever need to swap minced garlic for fresh cloves, here is a handy conversion chart!
- How Long Will Pizza Last In The Fridge? - We all love cold pizza, but exactly how long can we enjoy it?
- Best Cheese For Macaroni & Cheese - If you love macaroni and cheese as much as I do, make sure to check out this guide for which cheese will make the best mac!
- Shallots vs Onions - Are they the same thing? What are the differences between these cooking staples?
- Degrees of Beef Doneness - This guide is crucial to ensuring you have perfectly cooked beef for maximum flavor, freshness, and safety!
What Is Bratwurst: Smoked Brats (+More Great Brat Info & Cooking Tips)
- 10 bratwurst sausages
- 10 bratwurst buns (optional)
- 5 tablespoon sauerkraut (optional)
- Preheat your smoker to 225°F (107°C).
- Place brats in your smoker and smoke at 225°F (107°C) for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Use a digital meat thermometer or temperature probe to make sure the brats are at least 160°F (72°C).10 bratwurst sausages
- Remove from the smoker then place in buns, top with sauerkraut if desired, and serve. Enjoy!10 bratwurst buns, 5 tablespoon sauerkraut
Equipment You May Need
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!