Our family loves this twice baked potatoes recipe, these loaded baked potatoes are full of flavor and overflowing with your favorite additions! They’re easy to make, and a great side dish to have in the oven while you are busy with other cooking.
Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
To bake the potatoes the first time, preheat your oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C) and wash your large russet baking potatoes.
Fork each potato three to four times so the potatoes can “vent” and pull off squares of aluminum foil to wrap each potato in.
Set the potatoes in the center of the aluminum foil squares and (optional) drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse grain salt. We love using Himalayan salt for this!
Bake the potatoes for about 1 hour 15 minutes, or until they are soft when squeezed. My husband likes very crispy potato skins, so if I haven’t drizzled the potatoes in olive oil I will usually take them out of the aluminum foil and bake for the last 15 minutes or so without being wrapped.
Allow your baked potatoes to cool before handling them.
Stuffing Your Twice Baked Potatoes…
Once the potatoes have cooled enough to hold, scoop out the insides into a medium sized mixing bowl.
Be careful not to get too close the skin, as it will tear easily. Add 1 stick softened butter, milk, and sour cream then combine with a hand mixer or masher.
Stir in diced, cooked ham and cheddar cheese as well as salt and pepper for seasoning then spoon into the hollowed out baked potato skins.
Top with bacon, chives or scallions, and more cheese (if desired) and place in a buttered or greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 40-45 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tops are getting golden edges.
You Might Also Like These other Potato Dishes…
Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
- 4 russet potatoes (large, baking potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil (optional)
- 1 pinch Himalayan salt (coarse, optional)
Twice Baked Potato Filling
- 1/2 c (113 g) butter (1 stick, softened)
- 1/2 c (122 ml) milk
- 1 c (226 g) sour cream (or sour cream substitute, cottage cheese, chivo or top o' tater)
- 1/2 c (75 g) ham (diced, frying is optional)
- 1 c (1/4 lb) (115 g) cheddar cheese (grated, a little more for the topping if desired)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Twice Baked Potato Topping
- 1/4 c (29 g) cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/4 c (55 g) bacon (chopped, cooked)
- 2 Tbsp (6 g) chives (fresh, chopped)
Baking the Potatoes (the first time)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C).
- Clean and fork large baking potatoes, place on squares of aluminum foil. (optional) drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse grain Himalayan salt. Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before handling.
Making the Twice Baked Potatoes
- Scoop out the inside white of the potato, being careful not to get to close to the skin as it will tear easily. Place the scooped out potato into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 stick softened butter, milk, and sour cream then combine with a hand mixer or masher. Stir in cooked ham and cheddar cheese, season with salt & pepper to taste and mix again. Spoon portions into hollowed out baked potato skins, top with bacon and chives (or scallions) and add more cheese of desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) in a greased baking dish for 40-45 minutes, until cheese topping is melted and/or the filling is turning golden brown.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma’s kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!