Easy to make, hearty Texas chili is a perfectly comforting meal that’s packed with lots of tender meat, spicy chiles, and topped with all your favorites! This bean-less chili is super easy to prepare and makes the coziest dinner ever!
Thick, hearty, and perfectly spiced – my Texas chili is a meat lover’s paradise!
Chili is what I always crave when the weather starts to get colder. It’s just so comforting and filling! Sometimes I like to switch up the basic red bean chili with delicious Texas chili! There isn’t a bean in sight – this “bowl of red” is all about the meat!
My take on Texas chili is made easy with my delicious chili seasoning blend and canned chipotle peppers! It makes it so easy to prepare, but it doesn’t skimp on flavor! It’s an amazingly tasty and satisfying meal that the whole family will enjoy. If you’re serving meat lovers, they’re especially going to adore this meaty chili!
This chili takes just over one hour to make, but you can easily make it earlier in the day and let it simmer for as long as you want!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe!
A Perfect Cold Weather Meal! Texas chili will warm you from the inside out! It’s perfect to eat whenever during the dark and chilly winter months!
A Classic! I know very few people who dislike chili! This chili is so packed full of flavor, and it’s perfect for anyone who doesn’t like beans!
Great for Toppings! My favorite thing about chili is the toppings! Load this bowl up with your favorite!
Hearty, easy Texas chili is a breeze to whip up! Just make sure you don’t use beans for this chili – Texas chili is all about the meat!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil – You can also use another oil with a high smoke point, like avocado oil!
- ½ Cup Yellow Onion – The onion needs to be diced for this recipe. I like white onion for its sweetness, but you can also use white onion.
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic – Mince your own or use jarred minced garlic. It’s equal to about 2 small cloves or one large clove.
- 1 Pound Ground Beef – I prefer to use 80/20 ground chuck for this recipe! It’s mostly lean, but still cooks up moist and tender.
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt – Or according to taste! Kosher salt is my preference because it the flakes of salt evenly season the meat.
- 2 Tablespoon Chili Seasoning – You can use my easy, flavor-packed seasoning recipe or use your favorite blend.
- ½ Tablespoon Light Brown Sugar – Brown sugar is great here because it helps to balance the flavor of the chili and the acid of the tomatoes. Be sure to pack the brown sugar when you measure it!
- 15.5 ounces Diced Tomatoes – This is one 15-ounce can. Make sure not to drain it! You want the liquid to help cook down the beef.
- 3 Ounces Tomato Paste – Tomato paste helps to thicken the chili and adds a deeper level of flavor! I like to use resealable tubes of tomato paste for easy storage!
- 3 Ounces Chipotle Peppers – Use a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for this recipe! (See Tips & Recipe Notes)
- 2 Cups Beef Broth – This helps to cook down the chili! Use boxed beef broth or beef bouillon mixed with hot water if you don’t have homemade.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
This easy to make Texas chili can easily be made in a pot or Dutch oven on the stove but check out my Tips & Recipe Notes for instructions on making this recipe in your slow cooker!
- Sauté the onion & garlic. Start the chili by bringing a large stock pot or Dutch oven to medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is beginning to shimmer with heat and start smoking, add ½ cup of yellow onion. Sauté the onion until translucent, fragrant, and tender – about 4 to 5 minutes. Then, add 1 teaspoon minced garlic and continue to sauté for an additional 30 seconds to a minute.
- Brown & season the ground beef. To the sautéed onion and garlic, add 1 pound of ground beef. Then, break apart the beef as it cooks until you no longer have any signs of pink. Once the ground beef is cooked through, add ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, 2 tablespoons of chili seasoning, and ½ tablespoon of light brown sugar, then stir to mix well.
Add Tomatoes, Peppers & Simmer
- Add the rest of ingredients. Next, add the rest of the ingredients: 15.5 ounces of diced tomatoes with juice, 3 ounces of tomato paste, and 3 ounces of diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Stir to combine and once mixed well, pour in 2 cups of beef broth and bring to a rolling boil.
- Simmer and serve. Reduce the heat of the chili and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes while cooking, until thickened to your preference. Once done, remove from the heat and serve chili immediately.
Hearty, spicy Texas chili is such a warm and comforting dinner! I love to serve it up garnished with everyone’s favorite chili toppings and a side of fluffy jasmine rice and my moist and delicious jalapeño cornbread. Enjoy!
Looking for more great sides for chili? Check out my list to get your menu planning done!
💭 Angela's Tips & Recipe Notes
- Serve chili with a bar of your favorite toppings, like sour cream, corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese, lime wedges, sliced avocado, sliced green onion, or chopped cilantro!
- The spice level of cans of chipotle peppers can vary wildly! I recommend taste testing your can first, then adding as much as suits your spice preference.
- Want to slow cook this delicious chili? Simply brown the onions, garlic, and beef according to the instructions, then add it along with the rest of the ingredients to your slow cooker. Then, cook on low for 6 hours and it’s ready to serve!
🥡 Storing & Reheating
Store this delectable Texas chili refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 4 days! Make sure to cool your chili fully before storing for the best quality.
Chili freezes fantastically whenever you want a warm and comforting dinner! Cool your chili completely, then store in airtight freezer storage containers. Chili freezes well for up to 6 months but is best used within the first 3 months.
Reheating Texas Chili
I love to simply reheat chili in the microwave! Scoop servings into bowls and cover with a paper towel or cover to prevent splatter. Then, microwave on high power for 1-minute intervals, stirring in between, until the chili is steaming and thoroughly heated through.
🍖 More Hearty Beef Recipes
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Creamy Beef and Shells
- Chinese Beef Meatballs with Hoisin Ginger Sauce
- Beef and Cheese Casserole
- Smoked Beef Back Ribs
Texas chili is all about the meat – no beans allowed! Texas chili is also referred to as chile con carne, which is just pure chiles with meat! Some say that beans disrupt the pure, meaty flavor of the chili. The recipes vary by household, but one thing is for certain – Texas chili is absolutely delicious!
Definitely! My recipe is a simplified version, using chili seasoning mix and canned chipotle peppers. If desired, you can soak a few dried guajillo, ancho, pasilla, and/or California chiles in hot water for 15 minutes and blend into a paste before adding with the tomatoes.
Do you love a recipe you tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page.
Stay in touch with me through social media @ Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter! Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Texas Chili (without beans)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- ½ cup yellow onion (diced - or white onion)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20 chuck or lean ground beef)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon chili seasoning (see recipe or use your favorite brand)
- ½ tablespoon light brown sugar (packed)
- 15.5 oz diced tomatoes (1 15-ounce can - do not drain)
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 3 oz chipotle peppers (chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 2 cups beef broth
- Bring a large stock pot or Dutch oven to medium-high heat with the olive oil until the oil begins to shimmer and is just about to start smoking. Add the onion and saute until opague, fragrant, and tender or about 4-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue to saute for an additional 30 seconds to a minute.1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ cup yellow onion, 1 teaspoon garlic
- Brown the ground beef with the sauteed onion and garlic, breaking apart the beef as it cooks until you no longer have any signs of pink.1 lb ground beef
- Once the beef is cooked through, add the kosher salt, chili seasoning, and light brown sugar then stir to mix well.½ teaspoon kosher salt, 2 tablespoon chili seasoning, ½ tablespoon light brown sugar
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chipotle peppers then stir again to combine. Once mixed well, pour in the beef broth and bring to a rolling boil.15.5 oz diced tomatoes, 3 oz tomato paste, 3 oz chipotle peppers, 2 cups beef broth
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes while cooking, until thickened to your preference.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately when done.
Angela is an at home chef that developed a passion for all things cooking and baking at a young age in her Grandma's kitchen. After many years in the food service industry, she now enjoys sharing all of her family favorite recipes and creating tasty dinner and amazing dessert recipes here at Bake It With Love!